Logitech iTouch Multimediakeys - X

This is a discussion on Logitech iTouch Multimediakeys - X ; Hi, I have a Logitech iTouch keyboard with 7 "multimedia keys" above the usual F-keys, "Search", "Files", "E-Mail", etc. Using xmodmap and icewm, I managed to assign useful functions to most of them (6 out of 7), i.e. "Search" opens ...

  1. Logitech iTouch Multimediakeys

    Hi,

    I have a Logitech iTouch keyboard with 7 "multimedia keys" above the
    usual F-keys, "Search", "Files", "E-Mail", etc.
    Using xmodmap and icewm, I managed to assign useful functions to most
    of them (6 out of 7), i.e. "Search" opens google. The only thing is, I
    can't get the "Files" key to work. When I run xev, no events are
    triggered when I press the key, but I can hear some harddisk activity
    when I press or release it. (Also the harddisk led comes on for a
    split second).
    Anyone have an idea what's going on here? I have Fedora Core 1 with
    icewm.

    Thanks, Berend

  2. Re: Logitech iTouch Multimediakeys

    Berend Veldkamp wrote:
    > ... I have a Logitech iTouch keyboard with 7 "multimedia keys" ...

    I have an HP keyboard with "multimedia keys" and not all of them were
    recognized by X or at the console. I had to use showkey(1) and
    setkeycodes(8) to get anything to recognize the last few. Reading the
    man pages for those commands should get you going. Also, I believe X
    needs to be restarted after using setkeycodes to add a new key code
    (that xev and X will recognize) for a keyboard scan code.

    may good fortune be with you...

  3. Re: Logitech iTouch Multimediakeys

    MyMommaToldMe wrote:
    > Berend Veldkamp wrote:
    >
    >> ... I have a Logitech iTouch keyboard with 7 "multimedia keys" ...

    > I have an HP keyboard with "multimedia keys" and not all of them were
    > recognized by X or at the console. I had to use showkey(1) and
    > setkeycodes(8) to get anything to recognize the last few. Reading the
    > man pages for those commands should get you going. Also, I believe X
    > needs to be restarted after using setkeycodes to add a new key code
    > (that xev and X will recognize) for a keyboard scan code.
    >
    > may good fortune be with you...

    Thanks, I had already given up, but this was the answer!

    Now, is there a "best place" to put setkeycodes, rc.local? (on Fedora
    Core 3). And is there some kind of standard as to which keycode to choose?

    berend

  4. Re: Logitech iTouch Multimediakeys

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:46:15 +0100, Berend Veldkamp staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > MyMommaToldMe wrote:
    >> I have an HP keyboard with "multimedia keys" and not all of them were
    >> recognized by X or at the console. I had to use showkey(1) and
    >> setkeycodes(8) to get anything to recognize the last few. Reading the
    >> man pages for those commands should get you going. Also, I believe X
    >> needs to be restarted after using setkeycodes to add a new key code
    >> (that xev and X will recognize) for a keyboard scan code.

    > Thanks, I had already given up, but this was the answer! Now, is
    > there a "best place" to put setkeycodes, rc.local? (on Fedora Core 3).
    > And is there some kind of standard as to which keycode to choose?

    You might as well run this at boot time. /etc/rc.d/rc.local is a
    perfectly good place to put the setkeycodes commands if you're running a
    Redhat-derived distro. There's really no standard that I know of for
    choosing keycodes, though you will want to pick keycodes that aren't in
    use by any other keys. You can use xbindkeys (or your window manager's
    key-binding utility--xbindkeys is more general) to make your multimedia
    keys execute any action you can think of once these keys are generating
    keycodes. HTH,

    --
    Something unpleasant is coming when men are anxious to tell the
    truth. --Benjamin Disraeli

  5. Re: Logitech iTouch Multimediakeys

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:46:15 +0100, Berend Veldkamp staggered into the
    > Black Sun and said:
    >
    >>MyMommaToldMe wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have an HP keyboard with "multimedia keys" and not all of them were
    >>>recognized by X or at the console. I had to use showkey(1) and
    >>>setkeycodes(8) to get anything to recognize the last few. Reading the
    >>>man pages for those commands should get you going. Also, I believe X
    >>>needs to be restarted after using setkeycodes to add a new key code
    >>>(that xev and X will recognize) for a keyboard scan code.

    >>Thanks, I had already given up, but this was the answer! Now, is
    >>there a "best place" to put setkeycodes, rc.local? (on Fedora Core 3).
    >>And is there some kind of standard as to which keycode to choose?

    > You might as well run this at boot time. /etc/rc.d/rc.local is a
    > perfectly good place to put the setkeycodes commands if you're running a
    > Redhat-derived distro. There's really no standard that I know of for
    > choosing keycodes, though you will want to pick keycodes that aren't in
    > use by any other keys. You can use xbindkeys (or your window manager's
    > key-binding utility--xbindkeys is more general) to make your multimedia
    > keys execute any action you can think of once these keys are generating
    > keycodes. HTH,

    Thanks, I already got that last part working using IceWM's keybindings,
    but I'll have a look at xbindkeys anyway, since it's more general.

    Berend

+ Reply to Thread