Looking for dialog-like interface for terminal and X - X

This is a discussion on Looking for dialog-like interface for terminal and X - X ; There is ncurses-based program called 'dialog' which takes care of user interface from shell script. A modified version is used for Linux kernel compile. I'm looking for something like 'dialog', which works on both terminal and in X. There must ...

  1. Looking for dialog-like interface for terminal and X

    There is ncurses-based program called 'dialog' which takes care of user
    interface from shell script. A modified version is used for Linux
    kernel compile.

    I'm looking for something like 'dialog', which works on both terminal
    and in X. There must be many X-based and Ncurses-based widget packages
    out there. Any pointer or URL ?

    Background:
    I'm trying to add some user interface ability into Bash shell.
    Straight wrapper around 'dialog' is too much of plagiarism. :-)

    --
    William Park

  2. Re: Looking for dialog-like interface for terminal and X

    > There is ncurses-based program called 'dialog' which takes care of user
    > interface from shell script. A modified version is used for Linux
    > kernel compile.
    >
    > I'm looking for something like 'dialog', which works on both terminal
    > and in X. There must be many X-based and Ncurses-based widget packages
    > out there. Any pointer or URL ?
    >
    > Background:
    > I'm trying to add some user interface ability into Bash shell.
    > Straight wrapper around 'dialog' is too much of plagiarism. :-)

    If you want to put a GUI on a Bash shell script you may find SATSHELL
    (http://www.satisoft.com/satshell) useful. However, this doesn't work
    for character based terminals.

    Regards,
    =Adrian=

  3. Re: Looking for dialog-like interface for terminal and X

    On 2004-08-30, William Park wrote:

    > I'm looking for something like 'dialog', which works on both terminal
    > and in X. There must be many X-based and Ncurses-based widget packages
    > out there. Any pointer or URL ?

    Here's a dialog for X:

    http://xdialog.dyns.net/

    I presume you know how to check the value of $DISPLAY and call
    dialog vs. xdialog?

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Wait... is this a FUN
    at THING or the END of LIFE in

  4. Re: Looking for dialog-like interface for terminal and X

    Adrian Davis wrote:
    >>There is ncurses-based program called 'dialog' which takes care of user
    >>interface from shell script. A modified version is used for Linux
    >>kernel compile.
    >>
    >>I'm looking for something like 'dialog', which works on both terminal
    >>and in X. There must be many X-based and Ncurses-based widget packages
    >>out there. Any pointer or URL ?
    >>
    >>Background:
    >> I'm trying to add some user interface ability into Bash shell.
    >> Straight wrapper around 'dialog' is too much of plagiarism. :-)

    > If you want to put a GUI on a Bash shell script you may find SATSHELL
    > (http://www.satisoft.com/satshell) useful. However, this doesn't work
    > for character based terminals.
    >
    > Regards,
    > =Adrian=

    I think there's a graphical version of dialog call Xdialog based on GTK,
    but I don't know if it's actively being developed now.

    --

    Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
    Director Tecnico de bgSEC

    like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
    -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

  5. Re: Looking for dialog-like interface for terminal and X

    According to William Park :
    :I'm looking for something like 'dialog', which works on both terminal
    :and in X. There must be many X-based and Ncurses-based widget packages
    ut there. Any pointer or URL ?

    I don't know that there are all that many widget packages which work
    on both terminals and GUIs. However, with some work, you probably
    can write what you want in Tcl/Tk/some curses based extension to give you
    what you need. See http://wiki.tcl.tk/curses for more info.

    --
    http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In God we trust.
    http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >