Do Generic Drivers Support DualHead - X

This is a discussion on Do Generic Drivers Support DualHead - X ; I have just installed SuSE 9.1 and have it working fine except for dualhead. I have a Matrox P650 graphics card, probably not the best card for Linux although the quality is excellent in Windows. SuSE runs XFree 4.3.99 (from ...

  1. Do Generic Drivers Support DualHead

    I have just installed SuSE 9.1 and have it working fine except for
    dualhead.

    I have a Matrox P650 graphics card, probably not the best card for
    Linux although the quality is excellent in Windows.

    SuSE runs XFree 4.3.99 (from memory) - they seem to be making a point
    about not using XFree 4.4?

    Do any of the generic drivers support dualhead? The Matrox drivers were
    built for XFree 4.3.0 and I can't compile them under 4.3.99

    If the generic drivers won't work perhaps I should find a distribution
    that uses XFree 4.3.0 - any recommendations? I have lots of distros on
    cover disks but my inexperience means I need to install them before I
    can see what version of XFree they use - and that could take some time!

    --
    Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
    Posted with XanaNews http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananews.htm

  2. Re: Do Generic Drivers Support DualHead

    On 28/08/2004 Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > I have just installed SuSE 9.1 and have it working fine except for
    > dualhead.
    >
    > I have a Matrox P650 graphics card, probably not the best card for
    > Linux although the quality is excellent in Windows.
    >
    > SuSE runs XFree 4.3.99 (from memory) - they seem to be making a point
    > about not using XFree 4.4?
    >
    > Do any of the generic drivers support dualhead? The Matrox drivers
    > were built for XFree 4.3.0 and I can't compile them under 4.3.99
    >
    > If the generic drivers won't work perhaps I should find a distribution
    > that uses XFree 4.3.0 - any recommendations? I have lots of distros on
    > cover disks but my inexperience means I need to install them before I
    > can see what version of XFree they use - and that could take some
    > time!

    Sorry about following up my own post...

    I have now installed SuSE 8.1 and been able to compile and install the
    Matrox drivers so I have dual screens :-))

    But...

    When I close down X or use Ctrl+F1, F2 etc. to switch to a console my
    monitors immediately go blank (thank goodness) and report out of timing
    - with a vertical refresh of 268Hz and a horizontal refresh of 120kHz -
    a bit much for the 60Hz / 63kHz these LCD's are used to.

    So it's now fine in X but not at a terminal outside X.

    What affects the monitor timings outside of X? XF86Config seems fine
    and the monitors report timings well within their range within X but
    I've never had to adjust monitor timings for use away from X.

    Any pointers would be appreciated.

    --
    Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
    Posted with XanaNews http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananews.htm