Linux Runtime?? what are these files? - X

This is a discussion on Linux Runtime?? what are these files? - X ; I am trying repeatedly to install an app called Freevo on my Redhat 9 system. I am new to Linux. I have tried Debian, Mandrake and now am on Redhat9. I am trying to understand all the different ways to ...

  1. Linux Runtime?? what are these files?

    I am trying repeatedly to install an app called Freevo on my Redhat 9
    system. I am new to Linux. I have tried Debian, Mandrake and now am on
    Redhat9. I am trying to understand all the different ways to install
    an app on linux.

    I have downloaded a program called program-runtime.0.4.1.tar.gz

    I unpacked it using tar -zxvf

    It was unpacked into the directory i was in. there is no readme and it
    does not look like there is anything i know how to use.

    My question is what is a package when it is called a "runtime"?

    The package i downloaded is "freevo-runtime-0.3.1.tar.gz" and can be
    found here:
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/f...ar.gz?download

    Is the freevo program in this package?
    if not what do i use it for?

    Thanks
    Brad

  2. Re: Linux Runtime?? what are these files?

    On 27 Aug 2004 11:20:43 -0700,
    Bradley Hennon , in
    wrote:

    >+ I am trying repeatedly to install an app called Freevo on my Redhat 9
    >+ system. I am new to Linux. I have tried Debian, Mandrake and now am on
    >+ Redhat9. I am trying to understand all the different ways to install
    >+ an app on linux.

    Ok. You're aware that you need mplayer or Xine?

    >+ I have downloaded a program called program-runtime.0.4.1.tar.gz
    >+ I unpacked it using tar -zxvf
    >+
    >+ It was unpacked into the directory i was in. there is no readme and it
    >+ does not look like there is anything i know how to use.

    The only thing that looks promising is "runapp" and that didn't do
    much of anything for me. If you need/want this to work, grab the RPMs.

    >+ Is the freevo program in this package?
    >+ if not what do i use it for?

    I dunno. Why do it the hard way when you can do this:

    http://freevo.sourceforge.net/install.html#Download

    We support yum for Fedora Core 2 to make the installation of
    Freevo very easy. You only need to add the following files to
    your yum configuration:

    If you don't want to use yum, you can find the RPM files
    here[*]. Please refer to the Fedora Installation Page in the
    Wiki for details of how to install system dependency packages.
    [*] http://freevo.sourceforge.net/fedora/RPMS/

    Go get thy RPMs, then

    rpm --test -Uvh *.rpm

    and if that produces no errors, then:

    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Linux Runtime?? what are these files?

    Thank you so much for the response.

    I have just installed fedora core2 and am going to install using yum.

    I am just curious about the runtime files. What they are for and how
    they would be used.

    Thanks again for the reply.

    Brad

+ Reply to Thread