DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI? - X

This is a discussion on DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI? - X ; hi there, i have a strange problem. i have 2 different graphic cards, and 2 different monitors connected to my machine, using xorg. if i go to my BIOS and set the INIT to the PCI CARD, everything works fine. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    hi there,
    i have a strange problem.

    i have 2 different graphic cards, and 2 different monitors connected to my
    machine, using xorg. if i go to my BIOS and set the INIT to the PCI CARD,
    everything works fine. you know, i mean this "init display 1st" setting in
    bios.

    however, this is not convenient to me. the "main monitor" (or how should i
    call it, dunno) is the one connected to my AGP card.
    if i init from AGP, i have X only, and no dualscreen. also in KDE this is
    greyed out. also i do not hav any tty1-6. not even on the second monitor.

    where is my error? this is driving me mad. could it be a bios problem? i
    admit the motherboard is pretty "old" (amd athlon 1200 tb, epox board).

    here an excerpt of my xorg.conf (relevant part imho):

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout[all]"
    InputDevice "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
    Option "Clone" "off"
    # Option "Xinerama" "on"
    Screen 0 "Screen[0]" 0 0
    Screen 1 "Screen[1]" RightOf "Screen[0]"
    EndSection

  2. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Dieter Soltau wrote:
    > hi there,
    > i have a strange problem.
    >
    > i have 2 different graphic cards, and 2 different monitors connected to my
    > machine, using xorg. if i go to my BIOS and set the INIT to the PCI CARD,
    > everything works fine. you know, i mean this "init display 1st" setting in
    > bios.
    >
    > however, this is not convenient to me. the "main monitor" (or how should i
    > call it, dunno) is the one connected to my AGP card.
    > if i init from AGP, i have X only, and no dualscreen. also in KDE this is
    > greyed out. also i do not hav any tty1-6. not even on the second monitor.
    >
    > where is my error? this is driving me mad. could it be a bios problem? i
    > admit the motherboard is pretty "old" (amd athlon 1200 tb, epox board).

    This is neither bios nor you error.
    Yes, you have to boot only from PCI videocard. Otherwise, if you select
    AGP first, driver for a PCI card can't initialize. Primary monitor
    should be connected via PCI card.

  3. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Mike Katasonov wrote:

    > This is neither bios nor you error.
    > Yes, you have to boot only from PCI videocard. Otherwise, if you select
    > AGP first, driver for a PCI card can't initialize. Primary monitor
    > should be connected via PCI card.

    thx for your reply!
    well, is there a way then, to get my tty1-6 on the secondary monitor (agp
    card)?

  4. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Dieter Soltau wrote:

    > thx for your reply!
    > well, is there a way then, to get my tty1-6 on the secondary monitor (agp
    > card)?

    AFAIR you should enable Xinerama, add second section "Monitor" and
    section "Device" for videocard in xorg.conf
    Search at google for "Xinerama" - that links would help you.

  5. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Mike Katasonov wrote:

    > AFAIR you should enable Xinerama, add second section "Monitor" and
    > section "Device" for videocard in xorg.conf
    > Search at google for "Xinerama" - that links would help you.

    i have xinerama (currently disabled) installed, but as soon as i use it, i
    have one large screen - and this is not what i wanted. i like to keep the
    second screen seperate, it is simply there to watch TV

  6. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Dieter Soltau wrote:
    >Mike Katasonov wrote:
    >i have xinerama (currently disabled) installed, but as soon as i use it, i
    >have one large screen - and this is not what i wanted. i like to keep the
    >second screen seperate, it is simply there to watch TV

    I can't tell from your descriptions just what you are getting,
    but it appears that what you want, as described above, can be
    done. It depends...

    But whether it can be done, or not, you have to solve the
    problems one at a time, starting at the beginning, not in the
    middle. It is possible that in the process you may discover
    that what you want can't be done.

    First Step: Take the PCI card out of the machine. Set the BIOS
    to init the AGP card. Boot to single user, or to multiuser
    without X running, and see if you get what you expect from a
    single monitor system. (If not, fix whatever it doesn't do
    before proceeding.) Then try running X, and configure it to
    work correctly with that video card and monitor.

    Stop at this point and ask question in appropriate newsgroups
    if you cannot make it work correctly as above. Only when
    that works is it useful to go to the second step.

    Second Step: Put the PCI card into the machine and connect a
    monitor to it. Do *not* change the BIOS. Boot to single user
    or to multiuser without X running. See which monitor Linux
    uses. If Linux uses the AGP monitor just as it did in the first
    step, you should be able to accomplish what you want. (If Linux
    comes up on the PCI card, you might not be able to make this
    work. But the primary thing to understand at that point is that
    you do *not* have a problem with X, and nothing you do with X is
    going to affect what you get up to this point.)

    If Linux comes up on the PCI monitor instead of the AGP monitor
    you'll need to ask questions in a different newsgroup. Perhaps
    folks in comp.os.linux.system would understand how to make Linux
    find the other video card, if that is even possible.

    If Linux comes up on the AGP monitor, then you can proceed to
    configure X, and that can almost certainly work with either
    monitor, or with both. The first thing to do is run /sbin/lspci
    and see what you have. Here is an example (with everything
    except the video cards edited out), from a *really* old
    motherboard (a Dell with a PII-300 in it),

    00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX or /GX (rev 01)
    00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA 2164W [Millennium II]
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X (rev 5c)

    This motherboard has onboard video (the ATI, listed last). It
    also has two old PCI cards installed. You will be unhappy to
    know that the reason it has two PCI cards installed is because
    with this motherboard if a PCI card exists at all, the onboard
    AGP will simply *not* be initialized, period. Want two screens?
    Put in two PCI cards! (Basically the exact problem you have,
    except one "card" is onboard video.)

    Whatever, if you can get Linux to boot using the AGP video when
    the PCI card is present, the trick then is merely to configure X
    to use whichever card for whatever you want. The way to select
    which monitor is which in X is to use a "BusID" specifier in the
    Device Section for each video card in your X configuration file.
    Here is what those sections look like for the cards listed
    above,

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Graphics1"
    Driver "mga"
    Option "DPMS"
    Videoram 8192
    #$00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA 2164W [Millennium II]
    BusID "PCI:00:14:00"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Graphics2"
    Driver "s3virge"
    Option "DPMS"
    Videoram 4096
    # S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX or /GX rev 1, BusID "PCI:00:13:00"
    BusID "PCI:00:13:00"
    EndSection

    There must then be a Screen Section for each of those Device
    Sections, and your ServerLayout Section then must list each of
    them with a Screen option in the order you want them to be
    available to the server.

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen1"
    Device "Graphics1"
    Monitor "Monitor1"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen2"
    Device "Graphics2"
    Monitor "Monitor2"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout1"
    Screen "Screen1"
    Screen "Screen2"
    #
    # Xinerama mode joins the screens into one desktop.
    # Screen "Screen2" RightOf "Screen1"
    # Option "Xinerama"

    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    If the Xinerama options are uncommented, the two monitors appear as
    one display, host:0.0 to the server. Otherwise the two are found
    in the order listed, as host:0.0 and host:0.1 to the server.

    For example, normally a program will be displayed on :0.0, which
    in this case is the MGA video card and its monitor. To access the
    other monitor, and individual program can be invoked from the command
    line like this:

    > DISPLAY=:0.1 command

    and it will display on the S3VIRGE video card and its monitor.

    --
    FloydL. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com

  7. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    > First Step: Take the PCI card out of the machine. Set the BIOS
    > to init the AGP card. Boot to single user, or to multiuser
    > without X running, and see if you get what you expect from a
    > single monitor system. (If not, fix whatever it doesn't do
    > before proceeding.) Then try running X, and configure it to
    > work correctly with that video card and monitor.

    yes, that works. i have already been there.

    > Second Step: Put the PCI card into the machine and connect a
    > monitor to it. Do *not* change the BIOS. Boot to single user
    > or to multiuser without X running. See which monitor Linux
    > uses.

    it uses the AGP and i see nothing on the PCI card.

    > BusID "PCI:00:14:00"
    > BusID "PCI:00:13:00"

    i have set this, except one card ist AGP here (1:0:0 and the pci 0:b:0).

    > If the Xinerama options are uncommented, the two monitors appear as
    > one display, host:0.0 to the server. Otherwise the two are found
    > in the order listed, as host:0.0 and host:0.1 to the server.

    even if xinerama is uncommented, they appear as 0.0 and 0.1. this is
    correct, and exactly what i want. uncommenting xnerame behaves the same as
    "xinerama" "off". hmm, at least it does here.

    > For example, normally a program will be displayed on :0.0, which
    > in this case is the MGA video card and its monitor. To access the
    > other monitor, and individual program can be invoked from the command
    > line like this:
    >
    > > DISPLAY=:0.1 command

    > and it will display on the S3VIRGE video card and its monitor.

    yes, all of this works fine. but my ttys are on the monitor connected to the
    pci card. i dont think i can change this, because X has nothing to do with
    those screens. thats why i wanted to boot from my AGP, but then the PCI
    card is not inizialized at all.

  8. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Dieter Soltau wrote:
    >Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >
    >> First Step: Take the PCI card out of the machine. Set the BIOS
    >> to init the AGP card. Boot to single user, or to multiuser
    >> without X running, and see if you get what you expect from a
    >> single monitor system. (If not, fix whatever it doesn't do
    >> before proceeding.) Then try running X, and configure it to
    >> work correctly with that video card and monitor.

    >yes, that works. i have already been there.
    >
    >> Second Step: Put the PCI card into the machine and connect a
    >> monitor to it. Do *not* change the BIOS. Boot to single user
    >> or to multiuser without X running. See which monitor Linux
    >> uses.

    >it uses the AGP and i see nothing on the PCI card.

    You say here that it uses the AGP card, then down below you say it
    uses the PCI card. It can't be both...

    >> BusID "PCI:00:14:00"
    >> BusID "PCI:00:13:00"

    >i have set this, except one card ist AGP here (1:0:0 and the pci 0:b:0).
    >
    >> If the Xinerama options are uncommented, the two monitors appear as
    >> one display, host:0.0 to the server. Otherwise the two are found
    >> in the order listed, as host:0.0 and host:0.1 to the server.

    >even if xinerama is uncommented, they appear as 0.0 and 0.1. this is
    >correct, and exactly what i want. uncommenting xnerame behaves the same as
    >"xinerama" "off". hmm, at least it does here.

    This makes no difference if you don't want xinerama, but it appears
    your xinerama is not working. If xinerama works you will *not* have
    anything appear as the :0.1 display. Both video cards will be accessed
    only as :0.0 in one large virtual display.

    >> For example, normally a program will be displayed on :0.0, which
    >> in this case is the MGA video card and its monitor. To access the
    >> other monitor, and individual program can be invoked from the command
    >> line like this:
    >>
    >> > DISPLAY=:0.1 command

    >> and it will display on the S3VIRGE video card and its monitor.

    >yes, all of this works fine. but my ttys are on the monitor connected to the
    >pci card.

    But you said above that Linux boots using the AGP display. Go back
    to that stage, and *fix* it. None of this X configuration makes any
    difference at all until you get the preliminary steps to work the way
    you want.

    >i dont think i can change this, because X has nothing to do with
    >those screens. thats why i wanted to boot from my AGP, but then the PCI
    >card is not inizialized at all.

    work. Stop looking at the monitor connected to the PCI card. Leave
    the PCI card in the computer, but disconnect the monitor from it
    until you get everything working appropriately with that configuration.

    When you have Linux booting to the AGP card, then you can run X on it.
    When you get X working right on the AGP card we can talk about the PCI
    card. But not until then.

    --
    FloydL. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com

  9. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    >>even if xinerama is uncommented, they appear as 0.0 and 0.1. this is
    >>correct, and exactly what i want. uncommenting xnerame behaves the same as
    >>"xinerama" "off". hmm, at least it does here.

    > This makes no difference if you don't want xinerama, but it appears
    > your xinerama is not working. If xinerama works you will *not* have
    > anything appear as the :0.1 display. Both video cards will be accessed
    > only as :0.0 in one large virtual display.

    yes, this is also the case here. i have one large screen as 0.0, and i can
    move windows from one monitor to the other. but i dont need that, so i
    switched xinerama off.

    >>> For example, normally a program will be displayed on :0.0, which
    >>> in this case is the MGA video card and its monitor. To access the
    >>> other monitor, and individual program can be invoked from the command
    >>> line like this:

    >>> and it will display on the S3VIRGE video card and its monitor.

    >>yes, all of this works fine. but my ttys are on the monitor connected to
    >>the pci card.

    > But you said above that Linux boots using the AGP display.

    wait a minute here. if i boot from AGP, i have no ttys at all. i have X
    only. if i boot from PCI, i have ttys on PCI only, and X on both. we were
    already at step 2 if you reread your message, and both cards are in.

    > Go back
    > to that stage, and *fix* it. None of this X configuration makes any
    > difference at all until you get the preliminary steps to work the way
    > you want.

    excuse me, how? i followed those steps, really.

    >>i dont think i can change this, because X has nothing to do with
    >>those screens. thats why i wanted to boot from my AGP, but then the PCI
    >>card is not inizialized at all.

    > work.

    man, it does work alright. believe or not.

  10. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Dieter Soltau wrote:
    >Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >
    >>>even if xinerama is uncommented, they appear as 0.0 and 0.1. this is
    >>>correct, and exactly what i want. uncommenting xnerame behaves the same as
    >>>"xinerama" "off". hmm, at least it does here.

    >> This makes no difference if you don't want xinerama, but it appears
    >> your xinerama is not working. If xinerama works you will *not* have
    >> anything appear as the :0.1 display. Both video cards will be accessed
    >> only as :0.0 in one large virtual display.

    >yes, this is also the case here. i have one large screen as 0.0, and i can
    >move windows from one monitor to the other. but i dont need that, so i
    >switched xinerama off.

    You keep saying it is this, and when questioned about it you say
    it isn't this, it's that.

    >> But you said above that Linux boots using the AGP display.

    >wait a minute here. if i boot from AGP, i have no ttys at all. i have X

    Fix that.

    >only. if i boot from PCI, i have ttys on PCI only, and X on both. we were

    Do *not* boot from PCI, ever.

    >> work.

    >man, it does work alright. believe or not.

    Then *don't* boot from PCI, ever.

    --
    FloydL. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com

  11. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    >>> But you said above that Linux boots using the AGP display.

    *WITHOUT* PCI it works. single screen, yes.

    >>wait a minute here. if i boot from AGP, i have no ttys at all. i have X

    this is *WITH* PCI

    > Fix that.

    how? exactly this is my question.

  12. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Dieter Soltau wrote:

    >*WITHOUT* PCI it works. single screen, yes.
    >
    >>>wait a minute here. if i boot from AGP, i have no ttys at all. i have X

    >this is *WITH* PCI
    >
    >> Fix that.

    >how? exactly this is my question.

    Well, you are the only one who can see it, right? You don't
    expect anyone here to know what you've got if you describe your
    X configuration files rather than what happens when you boot with
    the AGP card.

    BTW, what you've said above is not actually possible. You cannot
    have X without having ttys. The X server uses one of the virtual
    consoles...

    --
    FloydL. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com

  13. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    xcuse me, but i give up on you, sorry. i am tired to repeat myself on and
    on, thx for the time you investigated.

  14. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:20:24 +0200, Dieter Soltau wrote:

    > Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    Dieter, Ich denke, daß Floyd ein wenig verwechselt wird.

    The virtual console driver uses the VGA controller setup via BIOS to
    display your virtual terminals. As far as I can see, you have only two

    a) set your BIOS to use the AGP card for primary video controller.
    b) modify the virtual console driver to use non-BIOS VGA (your AGP card).

    I don't think X setup has anything at all to do with what you want except
    that you need to be able to see the PCI card when you have set the AGP
    card as your primary video controller in BIOS.

    >> First Step: Take the PCI card out of the machine. Set the BIOS to init
    >> the AGP card. Boot to single user, or to multiuser without X running,
    >> and see if you get what you expect from a single monitor system. (If
    >> not, fix whatever it doesn't do before proceeding.) Then try running
    >> X, and configure it to work correctly with that video card and monitor.

    > yes, that works. i have already been there.

    Good, I would recommend the same procedure so far.

    >> Second Step: Put the PCI card into the machine and connect a
    >> monitor to it. Do *not* change the BIOS. Boot to single user
    >> or to multiuser without X running. See which monitor Linux
    >> uses.

    > it uses the AGP and i see nothing on the PCI card.
    >
    >> BusID "PCI:00:14:00"
    >> BusID "PCI:00:13:00"

    > i have set this, except one card ist AGP here (1:0:0 and the pci 0:b:0).

    At this point you have me a little bit confused. Let me summarize what I
    think you are saying:

    Scenario 1: AGP is set for VGA in BIOS.
    lspci shows only AGP card at 1:0.0

    Scenario 2: PCI is set for VGA in BIOS.
    lspci shows both AGP card at 1:0.0
    and PCI card at 0:11.0

    You may want to try moving the PCI card to a different slot. It
    appears to affect the way the cards are interpreted when scanned
    by the BIOS.

    http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm/matrox/pciagp.html

    > yes, all of this works fine. but my ttys are on the monitor connected to
    > the pci card. i dont think i can change this, because X has nothing to
    > do with those screens. thats why i wanted to boot from my AGP, but then
    > the PCI card is not initialized at all.

    You're absolutely correct. You must boot from AGP if you want the virtual
    consoles on the AGP device. (see where screen_info boot parameters
    are setup and passed to kernel - linux-2.6.8/arch/i386/boot/video.S).

    Perhaps you can play around with pcitweak(1) and scanpci(1). These
    utility functions allow you to scan and to change, tweak, the settings
    for PCI devices. Maybe you can get your system to "see" the PCI card when
    the AGP is set to be the primary display in BIOS.

    I think your only other option is to change the virtual console code in
    the kernel.

  15. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    hi Craig,

    > Dieter, Ich denke, daß Floyd ein wenig verwechselt wird.

    say what ? "verwechselt" does mean, "taken for someone else". you sure
    you eanted to say this?

    > a) set your BIOS to use the AGP card for primary video controller.
    > b) modify the virtual console driver to use non-BIOS VGA (your AGP card).

    hmm, dunno how i should handle b), though..

    >> it uses the AGP and i see nothing on the PCI card.
    >>
    >>> BusID "PCI:00:14:00"
    >>> BusID "PCI:00:13:00"

    >> i have set this, except one card ist AGP here (1:0:0 and the pci 0:b:0).
    >>

    > At this point you have me a little bit confused. Let me summarize what I
    > think you are saying:
    >
    > Scenario 1: AGP is set for VGA in BIOS.
    > lspci shows only AGP card at 1:0.0

    and PCI card at 0:11.0 !!! lspci shows it fine, but *I* see nothing on the
    *monitor*. the PCI card is simply not initialized or whatever. pci card
    monitorLED keeps flashing. there is no input from the card.

    > Scenario 2: PCI is set for VGA in BIOS.
    > lspci shows both AGP card at 1:0.0
    > and PCI card at 0:11.0
    >
    > You may want to try moving the PCI card to a different slot. It
    > appears to affect the way the cards are interpreted when scanned
    > by the BIOS.

    am i correct that you misunderstood me, and thought lspci woudnt see the
    card, or should i change slots anyway? dunno what i could get except a
    different number, 0:9:0 or whatever? or *should* the pci card become 1:0:0?
    is this the goal? anyway - booting from PCI will not bet me further, i
    guess we all agree on this..

    > Perhaps you can play around with pcitweak(1) and scanpci(1). These
    > utility functions allow you to scan and to change, tweak, the settings
    > for PCI devices. Maybe you can get your system to "see" the PCI card when
    > the AGP is set to be the primary display in BIOS.

    well, it *is* seens, lspci shows it, but there is no data going from the pci
    card to the monitor.

    i try to summarize this again:

    if i connect my AGP only, EVERYTHING is working as expected. no problems
    whatsoever.

    if i add my PCI card, BOTH are seen. AGP 1:0:0, PCI 0:b:0.
    if i boot from AGP, i see the bootprocedure on the AGP, nothing on PCI. then
    X starts, i am still on AGP and see nothing on PCI. NOTHING, not in normal,
    not in xinerama mode! now i press ALT-F1 to get a tty, and this is NOWHERE.
    not on my AGP and neither on my PCI. i press ALT-F7 again, and X is back on
    AGP.

    now, if i boot from PCI then everything is correct. bootprocedure starts
    from PCI. X starts - both monitors. i press ALT-F1 and it is shown on PCI
    (sure, i booted rom that card). X remains on AGP. this is fully correct to
    me, except that it is an ld card i dislike to use at primary. its a voodoo
    banshee, dont even know if it does 1600x1200 if i would keep that as
    primary.

    well, i hope this gets a bit clearer now?
    here some more parts of my xconf (fonts etc.. wiped out so it doesnt get to
    much). [0] is my AGP and 19", [1] is my PCI and 17":

    #

    Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    [...]
    InputDevices "/dev/psaux"
    InputDevices "/dev/logibm"
    InputDevices "/dev/gpmdata"
    InputDevices "/dev/mouse"
    InputDevices "/dev/usbmouse"
    InputDevices "/dev/input/mice"
    InputDevices "/dev/input/event0"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "speedo"
    Load "type1"
    Load "v4l"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "dri"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "Keyboard"
    Identifier "Keyboard[0]"
    Option "Protocol" "Standard"
    Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "mouse"
    Identifier "Mouse[1]"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Name" "Autodetection"
    Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
    Option "Vendor" "Sysp"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry"
    DisplaySize 360 270
    HorizSync 28-96
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    ModelName "96P97P(T)"
    Option "DPMS"
    VendorName "SAMTRON"
    VertRefresh 50-160
    UseModes "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    # Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry"
    # DisplaySize 360 270
    HorizSync 31.5-82
    Identifier "Monitor[1]"
    ModelName "17 ZOLL"
    # Option "DPMS"
    VendorName "MAG"
    VertRefresh 50-70
    # UseModes "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "Modes"
    Identifier "Modes[0]"
    Modeline "1280x1024" 105.15 1280 1360 1496 1712 1024 1025 1028 1059
    Modeline "1280x1024" 125.14 1280 1368 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1065
    Modeline "1280x1024" 145.69 1280 1376 1512 1744 1024 1025 1028 1071
    Modeline "1280x1024" 165.29 1280 1376 1512 1744 1024 1025 1028 1077
    Modeline "1024x768" 61.89 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 794
    Modeline "1024x768" 73.89 1024 1080 1192 1360 768 769 772 799
    Modeline "1024x768" 86.18 1024 1088 1200 1376 768 769 772 803
    Modeline "1024x768" 97.84 1024 1088 1200 1376 768 769 772 808
    Modeline "1024x768" 110.91 1024 1096 1208 1392 768 769 772 813
    Modeline "1024x768" 122.97 1024 1096 1208 1392 768 769 772 818
    Modeline "1024x768" 131.43 1024 1096 1208 1392 768 769 772 821
    Modeline "800x600" 36.88 800 832 912 1024 600 601 604 621
    Modeline "800x600" 44.13 800 840 920 1040 600 601 604 624
    Modeline "800x600" 51.73 800 840 928 1056 600 601 604 628
    Modeline "800x600" 58.73 800 840 928 1056 600 601 604 632
    Modeline "800x600" 66.71 800 848 936 1072 600 601 604 635
    Modeline "800x600" 73.98 800 848 936 1072 600 601 604 639
    Modeline "800x600" 82.55 800 856 944 1088 600 601 604 643
    Modeline "800x600" 90.10 800 856 944 1088 600 601 604 647
    Modeline "800x600" 97.59 800 856 944 1088 600 601 604 650
    Modeline "640x480" 23.06 640 656 720 800 480 481 484 497
    Modeline "640x480" 27.74 640 664 728 816 480 481 484 500
    Modeline "640x480" 32.64 640 672 736 832 480 481 484 503
    Modeline "640x480" 36.97 640 672 736 832 480 481 484 505
    Modeline "640x480" 42.22 640 680 744 848 480 481 484 508
    Modeline "640x480" 46.80 640 680 744 848 480 481 484 511
    Modeline "640x480" 51.43 640 680 744 848 480 481 484 514
    Modeline "640x480" 57.18 640 680 752 864 480 481 484 517
    Modeline "640x480" 62.12 640 680 752 864 480 481 484 521
    Modeline "1600x1200" 155.47 1600 1704 1880 2160 1200 1201 1204 1241
    Modeline "1600x1200" 184.66 1600 1712 1888 2176 1200 1201 1204 1248
    Modeline "1600x1200" 205.99 1600 1720 1896 2192 1200 1201 1204 1253
    Modeline "1600x1024" 131.69 1600 1704 1872 2144 1024 1025 1028 1059
    Modeline "1600x1024" 156.43 1600 1704 1880 2160 1024 1025 1028 1065
    Modeline "1600x1024" 181.78 1600 1712 1888 2176 1024 1025 1028 1071
    Modeline "1600x1024" 207.75 1600 1720 1896 2192 1024 1025 1028 1077
    Modeline "1600x1000" 127.62 1600 1696 1864 2128 1000 1001 1004 1034
    Modeline "1600x1000" 152.76 1600 1704 1880 2160 1000 1001 1004 1040
    Modeline "1600x1000" 177.54 1600 1712 1888 2176 1000 1001 1004 1046
    Modeline "1600x1000" 202.93 1600 1720 1896 2192 1000 1001 1004 1052
    Modeline "1600x1000" 207.74 1600 1720 1896 2192 1000 1001 1004 1053
    Modeline "1400x1050" 118.42 1400 1488 1640 1880 1050 1051 1054 1086
    Modeline "1400x1050" 140.79 1400 1496 1648 1896 1050 1051 1054 1092
    Modeline "1400x1050" 163.75 1400 1504 1656 1912 1050 1051 1054 1098
    Modeline "1400x1050" 181.37 1400 1504 1656 1912 1050 1051 1054 1103
    Modeline "1280x960" 97.68 1280 1352 1488 1696 960 961 964 993
    Modeline "1280x960" 116.18 1280 1360 1496 1712 960 961 964 998
    Modeline "1280x960" 135.32 1280 1368 1504 1728 960 961 964 1004
    Modeline "1280x960" 155.01 1280 1376 1512 1744 960 961 964 1010
    Modeline "1280x960" 164.30 1280 1376 1512 1744 960 961 964 1013
    Modeline "1152x864" 78.82 1152 1216 1336 1520 864 865 868 894
    Modeline "1152x864" 93.90 1152 1224 1344 1536 864 865 868 899
    Modeline "1152x864" 109.43 1152 1224 1352 1552 864 865 868 904
    Modeline "1152x864" 125.43 1152 1232 1360 1568 864 865 868 909
    Modeline "1152x864" 140.45 1152 1232 1360 1568 864 865 868 914
    Modeline "1152x864" 148.10 1152 1232 1360 1568 864 865 868 917
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    defaultFbBpp 32
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1600x1200" "1600x1024" "1600x1000" "1400x1050" "1280x1024"
    "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 32
    Modes "1600x1200" "1600x1024" "1600x1000" "1400x1050" "1280x1024"
    "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    Device "Device[0]"
    Identifier "Screen[0]"
    Monitor "Monitor[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    # defaultFbBpp 32
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubSection
    Device "Device[1]"
    Identifier "Screen[1]"
    Monitor "Monitor[1]"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    BoardName "GeForce2 MX 100/200"
    BusID "AGP:1:0:0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Identifier "Device[0]"
    Option "sw_cursor"
    VendorName "NVidia"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    BoardName "VOODOO"
    BusID "PCI:0:b:0"
    Driver "tdfx"
    Identifier "Device[1]"
    ## Option "sw_cursor"
    VendorName "VOODOO"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout[all]"
    InputDevice "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
    # Option "Clone" "on"
    # Option "Xinerama" "on"
    Screen 0 "Screen[0]" 0 0
    Screen 1 "Screen[1]" RightOf "Screen[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group "video"
    Mode 0660
    EndSection

  16. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    hi Craig,

    > Dieter, Ich denke, daß Floyd ein wenig verwechselt wird.

    say what ? "verwechselt" does mean, "taken for someone else". you sure
    you eanted to say this?

    > a) set your BIOS to use the AGP card for primary video controller.
    > b) modify the virtual console driver to use non-BIOS VGA (your AGP card).

    hmm, dunno how i should handle b), though..

    >> it uses the AGP and i see nothing on the PCI card.
    >>
    >>>*****BusID*******"PCI:00:14:00"
    >>>*****BusID*******"PCI:00:13:00"

    >> i have set this, except one card ist AGP here (1:0:0 and the pci 0:b:0).
    >>

    > At this point you have me a little bit confused.**Let*me*summarize*what*I
    > think you are saying:
    >
    > Scenario 1: AGP is set for VGA in BIOS.
    > lspci shows only AGP card at 1:0.0

    and PCI card at 0:11.0 !!! lspci shows it fine, but *I* see nothing on the
    monitor. i fear i expressed myself badly, sorry! the PCI card is simply not
> [...]

    **Device*******"Device[1]"
    **Identifier***"Screen[1]"
    **Monitor******"Monitor[1]"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    **BoardName****"GeForce2*MX*100/200"
    **BusID********"AGP:1:0:0"
    **Driver*******"nvidia"
    **Identifier***"Device[0]"
    **Option*******"sw_cursor"
    **VendorName***"NVidia"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    **BoardName****"VOODOO"
    **BusID********"PCI:0:b:0"
    **Driver*******"tdfx"
    **Identifier***"Device[1]"
    ##**Option*******"sw_cursor"
    **VendorName***"VOODOO"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    **Identifier***"Layout[all]"
    **InputDevice**"Keyboard[0]"*"CoreKeyboard"

  17. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:32:38 +0200, Dieter Soltau wrote:

    > hi Craig,
    >
    >> Dieter, Ich denke, daß Floyd ein wenig verwechselt wird.

    > say what ? "verwechselt" does mean, "taken for someone else". you sure
    > you eanted to say this?

    Damn babelfish, I was going to use falsch, but I wanted to sound more
    sophisticated.

    >> a) set your BIOS to use the AGP card for primary video controller. b)
    >> modify the virtual console driver to use non-BIOS VGA (your AGP card).

    > hmm, dunno how i should handle b), though..
    >
    >>> it uses the AGP and i see nothing on the PCI card.

    > and PCI card at 0:11.0 !!! lspci shows it fine, but *I* see nothing on
    > the *monitor*. the PCI card is simply not initialized or whatever. pci
    > card monitorLED keeps flashing. there is no input from the card.

    This indicates to me that the BIOS isn't initializing the card, perhaps we
    can get X to do this for you.

    >> Scenario 2: PCI is set for VGA in BIOS. lspci shows both AGP card at
    >> 1:0.0
    >> and PCI card at 0:11.0
    >>
    >> You may want to try moving the PCI card to a different slot. It
    >> appears to affect the way the cards are interpreted when scanned by the
    >> BIOS.

    > am i correct that you misunderstood me, and thought lspci woudnt see the
    > card, or should i change slots anyway? dunno what i could get except a
    > different number, 0:9:0 or whatever? or *should* the pci card become
    > 1:0:0? is this the goal? anyway - booting from PCI will not bet me
    > further, i guess we all agree on this..

    You may still want to try changing slots, it couldn't hurt. If you read
    the link I sent you, you will see that the some BIOSes make assumptions
    about the cards by their position on the bus. Perhaps the BIOS assumes
    any PCI video card in slot 11 is the primary.

    > i try to summarize this again:
    >
    > if i connect my AGP only, EVERYTHING is working as expected. no problems
    > whatsoever.
    >
    > if i add my PCI card, BOTH are seen. AGP 1:0:0, PCI 0:b:0. if i boot
    > from AGP, i see the bootprocedure on the AGP, nothing on PCI. then X
    > starts, i am still on AGP and see nothing on PCI. NOTHING, not in
    > normal, not in xinerama mode! now i press ALT-F1 to get a tty, and this
    > is NOWHERE. not on my AGP and neither on my PCI. i press ALT-F7 again,
    > and X is back on AGP.

    What happens when you boot ohne X? Run level 3, vielicht?

    > now, if i boot from PCI then everything is correct. bootprocedure starts
    > from PCI. X starts - both monitors. i press ALT-F1 and it is shown on
    > PCI (sure, i booted rom that card). X remains on AGP. this is fully
    > correct to me, except that it is an ld card i dislike to use at primary.
    > its a voodoo banshee, dont even know if it does 1600x1200 if i would
    > keep that as primary.
    >
    > well, i hope this gets a bit clearer now? here some more parts of my
    > xconf (fonts etc.. wiped out so it doesnt get to much). [0] is my AGP
    > and 19", [1] is my PCI and 17":

    Alles klar.

    Is there anything interesting the the /var/log/Xorg.* logs?

  18. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Craig Bergren wrote:

    > Damn babelfish, I was going to use falsch, but I wanted to sound more
    > sophisticated.

    yeah - i know exactly how it feels

    >> and PCI card at 0:11.0 !!! lspci shows it fine, but *I* see nothing on
    >> the *monitor*. the PCI card is simply not initialized or whatever. pci
    >> card monitorLED keeps flashing. there is no input from the card.

    > This indicates to me that the BIOS isn't initializing the card

    exactly, this is what i guess as well, thats why i asked in my 1st article
    if it could be a bios problem. though, i doubt epox will fix it because it
    is pretty outdated anyway.

    >perhaps we can get X to do this for you.

    hmm, lets see

    > You may still want to try changing slots, it couldn't hurt.

    did it this afternoon but nothing changed, except the busid ofcourse.

    >> if i connect my AGP only, EVERYTHING is working as expected. no problems
    >> whatsoever.
    >>
    >> if i add my PCI card, BOTH are seen. AGP 1:0:0, PCI 0:b:0. if i boot
    >> from AGP, i see the bootprocedure on the AGP, nothing on PCI. then X
    >> starts, i am still on AGP and see nothing on PCI. NOTHING, not in
    >> normal, not in xinerama mode! now i press ALT-F1 to get a tty, and this
    >> is NOWHERE. not on my AGP and neither on my PCI. i press ALT-F7 again,
    >> and X is back on AGP.

    > What happens when you boot ohne X? Run level 3, vielicht?

    i have my ttys on the AGP - just as it should be, no problem. of course i
    see nothing on PCI but this is normal, i havent started X. the ttys go away
    as soon as i start X.

    > Is there anything interesting the the /var/log/Xorg.* logs?

    uhm, will have a look at those tomorrow. i just have a huge compile process
    running. thanks for your help sofar!
    i'll try booting from AGP again tomorrow, and post the results here.

    have a nice weekend,
    dieter

  19. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:32:38 +0200, Dieter Soltau wrote:

    This web page may also cast some light on your problem.

    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/hiresconsole.html

  20. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Craig Bergren wrote:

    > http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/hiresconsole.html

    hmm, i have no such file /etc/TextConfig (using gentoo). but yes, i am using
    vga= in grub to have 1280x1024.
    however, i dont see where my DualScreen problem comes in?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast