DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI? - X

This is a discussion on DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI? - X ; so, i started from AGP in runlevel3, no x log of course . now i start X no EE (errors) there, but: AUDIT: Sun Aug 29 00:24:30 2004: 7076 X: client 21 rejected from local host hmm.. why??...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    so, i started from AGP in runlevel3, no x log of course . now i start X
    no EE (errors) there, but:

    AUDIT: Sun Aug 29 00:24:30 2004: 7076 X: client 21 rejected from local host

    hmm.. why??

  2. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Craig Bergren wrote:

    > That is curious. When you stop X, do they come back?

    no, i even typed blind on tty1 init 3, nothing. it stay black.

  3. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    have to add something..

    today, after the 3rd cup of coffee, i thought.. well, maybe i use 2
    different conf files, and use the DualMonitor conf on demand. but what a
    surpsise - still no TTYs if i put from AGP.

    it looks like, as soon as a second graphiccard (pci) is attached, the ttys
    are simply gone ;(
    well, i try to remove the "vga=" option from grub now. maybe this is causing
    the problem?

  4. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Dieter Soltau wrote:

    > desktop 0 and 1 as it used to be.

    cool. the clone option does this.
    alright sofar! i am sure you meant something different with this tty
    resolution and vga= line pointing me to that URL, but it rang a bell in my
    head.

    for some reason X might be confused about this vga= option, and does not
    know to wich card this belongs, could that be? that would explain why i see
    nothing once X has started? well, i really dont know.

    though.. if i tty now, the second screen contains just garbage. maybe we can
    fix this, i am open again for any hints and in a good mood
    thx for the help sofar!
    dieter

  5. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Dieter Soltau wrote:
    > hi there,
    > i have a strange problem.
    >
    > i have 2 different graphic cards, and 2 different monitors connected to my
    > machine, using xorg. if i go to my BIOS and set the INIT to the PCI CARD,
    > everything works fine. you know, i mean this "init display 1st" setting in
    > bios.
    >
    > however, this is not convenient to me. the "main monitor" (or how should i
    > call it, dunno) is the one connected to my AGP card.
    > if i init from AGP, i have X only, and no dualscreen. also in KDE this is
    > greyed out. also i do not hav any tty1-6. not even on the second monitor.
    >
    > where is my error? this is driving me mad. could it be a bios problem? i
    > admit the motherboard is pretty "old" (amd athlon 1200 tb, epox board).
    >
    > here an excerpt of my xorg.conf (relevant part imho):
    >
    > Section "ServerLayout"
    > Identifier "Layout[all]"
    > InputDevice "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
    > InputDevice "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
    > Option "Clone" "off"
    > # Option "Xinerama" "on"
    > Screen 0 "Screen[0]" 0 0
    > Screen 1 "Screen[1]" RightOf "Screen[0]"
    > EndSection

    What do you have for your monitor sections? You might need to tell it
    was pci bus the pci card is on.

    I did a quick search to find you a sample:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/87432

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "PrimaryMon"
    HorizSync 30-85
    VertRefresh 50-160
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "PrimaryDev"
    VendorName "ATI"
    BoardName "Radeon 7500"
    Driver "radeon"
    BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
    VideoRam 65536
    EndSection

    You might want to try "lspci -v" IIRC. I have mine working fine at home
    with 1 agp nvidia card and another pci noname card.

  6. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    well, we have already solved this in this thread. however - do you have a
    vga= option in grub or lilo? this is one of thge few things not working
    here.

    also i do not get 3d acceleration on the pci card.

  7. Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

    Dieter Soltau wrote:
    > well, we have already solved this in this thread.

    I guess my newserver isn't getting all the stuff. It says the post I
    replied to is gone too. I should start looking a new one.

    > however - do you have a
    > vga= option in grub or lilo? this is one of thge few things not working
    > here.

    I'm not booting with 2 video cards. In fact, I hardly use dual screen
    mode. I have a few people share the computer and it would be a waste of
    energy to keep the second running. I only use it once in a while when I
    know i'm going to be using an IDE and doing some programming because I
    tend to have more windows open.

    > also i do not get 3d acceleration on the pci card.

    I don't either. I never really bothered, but I'm not sure what chipset
    the pci card is and if there is a specific driver for it. I think I'm
    just using the generic vesa one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2