X fonts problem - X

This is a discussion on X fonts problem - X ; Hello, I am running Fedora Core 1. I was using up2date to update all my packages. There seemed to be some sort of error updating a fonts package. And now, not suprisingly, I get the following error upon trying to ...

  1. X fonts problem

    Hello,

    I am running Fedora Core 1. I was using up2date to update all my
    packages. There seemed to be some sort of error updating a fonts
    package. And now, not suprisingly, I get the following error upon
    trying to start X:

    Fatal server error:
    Could not open default font 'fixed'

    I searched through google but couldn't find anyone that had a similar
    cause to mine, so I don't think the solutions there would fix my
    problem. Running up2date now via command line mode does not list fonts
    as something that needs to be updated. Any suggestions as to how I
    should go about fixing this problem?

    Thanks,
    Stuart Matthews

  2. Re: X fonts problem

    Stuart Matthews wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am running Fedora Core 1. I was using up2date to update all my
    > packages. There seemed to be some sort of error updating a fonts
    > package. And now, not suprisingly, I get the following error upon
    > trying to start X:
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > Could not open default font 'fixed'

    Check the /etc/X11/XF86Config and you may find something like this:

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

    This says that you will get all your fonts from the xfs server, this requers
    you have it started before XFree86.

    # chkconfig --leve 5 xfs on

    If you have it already starting and running and it's not helping, then I
    suggest you do add a line to your XF86Config, so that the previous part will
    look something like:

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

    //Aho

  3. Re: X fonts problem

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:23:15 -0400, Stuart Matthews wrote:

    > I am running Fedora Core 1. I was using up2date to update all my
    > packages. There seemed to be some sort of error updating a fonts
    > package. And now, not suprisingly, I get the following error upon
    > trying to start X:
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > Could not open default font 'fixed'

    'fixed' is the font of last resort. If it isn't there, you don't have
    any fonts available. It's likely that xfs, the font server, hasn't
    re-started properly. Try doing

    # /etc/init.d/xfs restart

    If it doesn't start up properly, check to see whether the configuration
    file is there and OK:

    /etc/X11/fs/config

    Bob T.

  4. Re: X fonts problem

    Hey thanks guys. Both of your posts helped me get it to work.

    Stuart

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Stuart Matthews wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am running Fedora Core 1. I was using up2date to update all my
    >> packages. There seemed to be some sort of error updating a fonts
    >> package. And now, not suprisingly, I get the following error upon
    >> trying to start X:
    >>
    >> Fatal server error:
    >> Could not open default font 'fixed'

    > Check the /etc/X11/XF86Config and you may find something like this:
    >
    > Section "Files"
    > RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    > ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    > FontPath "unix/:7100"
    > EndSection
    >
    > This says that you will get all your fonts from the xfs server, this
    > requers you have it started before XFree86.
    >
    > # chkconfig --leve 5 xfs on
    >
    > If you have it already starting and running and it's not helping, then I
    > suggest you do add a line to your XF86Config, so that the previous part
    > will look something like:
    >
    > Section "Files"
    > RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    > ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    > FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    > FontPath "unix/:7100"
    > EndSection
    >

    > //Aho

+ Reply to Thread