Re: Omnibook XE2 DC - X

This is a discussion on Re: Omnibook XE2 DC - X ; [ Followup-To: set to comp.os.linux.x ] On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:32:29 +0200, unbekannt staggered into the Black Sun and said: > Hi, I was wondering if anyone found out the refresh rates for the 14.1 > inch TFT Monitor ...

  1. Re: Omnibook XE2 DC

    Sun and said:
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone found out the refresh rates for the 14.1
    > inch TFT Monitor on the Omnibook XE2 DC Laptop from Hewlett Packard...

    Most things work with the "Generic LCD panel" available in the
    pointy-clicky GUI frontend most distros have for setting up X. X 4.n
    has pretty good ways to query the EDID information almost every modern
    monitor reports, so you shouldn't even have to hand-enter sync ranges.
    Which version of which distro are you using, anyway? What's the output
    of "X -version"?

    > Ive been trying to contact Hewlett Packard directly, but without any
    > success.

    There are only 2 products that HPCompaquard makes that are any good:
    RPN calculators and high-end PostScript printers. Their desktop
    computers are cheaply put together with inferior components, and their
    laptops haven't impressed me much.

    > I've been trying all sorts of different settings, but the screen will
    > only go to 800x600 and by that it only covers half the screen....

    What's the native size of the LCD? What's the make and model of the
    graphics card in this machine? (Use "lspci | tail -1" if you don't know
    what kind of graphics card it has.) You might want to put your
    /etc/X11/XF86Config file up on your webspace and follow up to this
    message with the URL. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  2. Re: Omnibook XE2 DC

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:32:29 +0200, unbekannt staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >
    >>Hi, I was wondering if anyone found out the refresh rates for the 14.1
    >>inch TFT Monitor on the Omnibook XE2 DC Laptop from Hewlett Packard...

    > Most things work with the "Generic LCD panel" available in the
    > pointy-clicky GUI frontend most distros have for setting up X. X 4.n
    > has pretty good ways to query the EDID information almost every modern
    > monitor reports, so you shouldn't even have to hand-enter sync ranges.
    > Which version of which distro are you using, anyway? What's the output
    > of "X -version"?
    >

    >>Ive been trying to contact Hewlett Packard directly, but without any
    >>success.

    > There are only 2 products that HPCompaquard makes that are any good:
    > RPN calculators and high-end PostScript printers. Their desktop
    > computers are cheaply put together with inferior components, and their
    > laptops haven't impressed me much.
    >

    >>I've been trying all sorts of different settings, but the screen will
    >>only go to 800x600 and by that it only covers half the screen....

    > What's the native size of the LCD? What's the make and model of the
    > graphics card in this machine? (Use "lspci | tail -1" if you don't know
    > what kind of graphics card it has.) You might want to put your
    > /etc/X11/XF86Config file up on your webspace and follow up to this
    > message with the URL. HTH,

    Well, first of all, its a 14.1 inch TFT Monitor, Im on Debian Sarge
    (newest version). Ive just gotten used to seting the sync tanges
    manually, as thats how people Ive meet in IRC have shown me... on my
    desktop, I have a plain 19" Monitor, and the handbook gives me those
    details. (nothing else would work properly)
    Which GUI frontend were you referring to? xf86cfg?

    The Graphic Card is a Silicon Motion, Inc. SM710 LynxEM (rev a3) un BUS
    ID 1:0:0....
    if you want to know more about the Laptop, the only useful information I
    could find was:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&lang=en&cc=us
    which is the support page for the specified monitor, and:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...2Fbpi04196.pdf
    which is the Manual... page 89 describes the closest information I could
    find....

    Let me know...
    Thanks

  3. Re: Omnibook XE2 DC

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:47:57 +0200, unbekannt staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:32:29 +0200, unbekannt staggered into the Black
    >> Sun and said:
    >>>Hi, I was wondering if anyone found out the refresh rates for the
    >>>14.1 inch TFT Monitor on the Omnibook XE2 DC Laptop from HP

    >> Most things work with the "Generic LCD panel" available in the
    >> pointy-clicky GUI frontend most distros have for setting up X. Which
    >> version of which distro are you using, anyway? What's the output of
    >> "X -version"?

    > I'm on Debian Sarge

    OK, so what's the output of "X -version"? I can't remember whether
    Sarge uses X 4.2.0 or 4.3.0 by default.

    >>>I've been trying all sorts of different settings, but the screen will
    >>>only go to 800x600 and by that it only covers half the screen....

    >> What's the native size of the LCD?

    > Well, first of all, its a 14.1 inch TFT Monitor,

    What's the native size of the LCD in *pixels*? Is it a "standard"
    resolution like 1024x768, 1280x1024, or 1600x1200, or a "weird"
    resolution like 1280x960?

    > Which GUI frontend were you referring to? xf86cfg?

    Whatever Debian uses. It doesn't really matter, because any frontend
    should be able to query the monitor's EDID information and get the sync
    ranges from there.

    >> You might want to put your /etc/X11/XF86Config file up on your
    >> webspace and follow up to this message with the URL.

    It'd be useful to see this. You should also post the
    /var/log/XFree86.0.log file since it might contain useful information.

    > The Graphic Card is a Silicon Motion, Inc. SM710 LynxEM (rev a3)

    Should work with X 4.n and the siliconmotion X server.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!