Graphical Login Question - X

This is a discussion on Graphical Login Question - X ; Hi, I recently installed Slackware 10 on my system, making it a dual boot. It runs just fine, and I use startx to get into KDE. I'd like to set it up to use a graphical login, but when I ...

  1. Graphical Login Question

    Hi,

    I recently installed Slackware 10 on my system, making it a dual boot.
    It runs just fine, and I use startx to get into KDE. I'd like to set it
    up to use a graphical login, but when I tried, I had some problems.

    To enable it, I simply changed the default runlevel in /etc/inittab from
    3 to 4, then restarted. This got me what I think was the kdm login
    manager. I tried logging in as my main user account, and I got the
    error message that said "Your login shell is not listed in /etc/shells"
    (or something like that). I then tried logging in as root from this
    screen, and it worked fine. How do I enable my regular account to log
    in from here?

    Thanks,
    -K.W.

  2. Re: Graphical Login Question

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:55:52 -0600, K. Brenden staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > I recently installed Slackware 10 on my system, making it a dual boot.
    > It runs just fine, and I use startx to get into KDE.
    >
    > To enable [starting kdm on boot], I simply changed the default
    > runlevel in /etc/inittab from 3 to 4, then restarted.

    I think you want runlevel 5, not 4, to start xdm/gdm/kdm on boot. 4 may
    do the right thing, or it may not, depending on how your SysV init
    scripts are set up.

    > what I think was the kdm login manager. I tried logging in as my main
    > user account, and I got the error message that said "Your login shell
    > is not listed in /etc/shells" (or something like that).

    Don't paraphrase error messages. So, what's the last field in the line
    for your main user account in /etc/passwd ? You should have something
    like "/bin/bash" or "/bin/tcsh" or "/bin/zsh" in there, and that shell
    should be listed in /etc/shells . If the last field is empty, it might
    still work, but it might not. It's best to fill that field with a valid
    login shell.

    > logging in as root from this screen, and it worked fine. How do I
    > enable my regular account to log in from here?

    Try fixing the thing that the desktop manager was complaining about
    first, if that doesn't work, check /var/log/kdm.log for more information
    about what went wrong.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: Graphical Login Question

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:55:52 -0600,
    K. Brenden , in
    wrote:

    >+ error message that said "Your login shell is not listed in /etc/shells"
    >+ (or something like that). I then tried logging in as root from this
    >+ screen, and it worked fine. How do I enable my regular account to log
    >+ in from here?

    Login as root.

    cd /etc

    grep passwd
    root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    ^^^^^^^^^the shell
    more shells

    check that the answer from the grep is in shells. If your paraphase
    is accurate, it won't be there. Just add your shell. Are you running a
    non-standard shell?

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  4. Re: Graphical Login Question

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:55:52 -0600, K. Brenden staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >
    >>I recently installed Slackware 10 on my system, making it a dual boot.
    >>It runs just fine, and I use startx to get into KDE.
    >>
    >>To enable [starting kdm on boot], I simply changed the default
    >>runlevel in /etc/inittab from 3 to 4, then restarted.

    > I think you want runlevel 5, not 4, to start xdm/gdm/kdm on boot. 4 may
    > do the right thing, or it may not, depending on how your SysV init
    > scripts are set up.

    According to the comments in /etc/inittab, runlevel 5 isn't really used,
    and therefore is just configured to be the same as runlevel 3. I guess
    they didn't use it for anything in Slackware.

    >>what I think was the kdm login manager. I tried logging in as my main
    >>user account, and I got the error message that said "Your login shell
    >>is not listed in /etc/shells" (or something like that).

    > Don't paraphrase error messages. So, what's the last field in the line
    > for your main user account in /etc/passwd ? You should have something
    > like "/bin/bash" or "/bin/tcsh" or "/bin/zsh" in there, and that shell
    > should be listed in /etc/shells . If the last field is empty, it might
    > still work, but it might not. It's best to fill that field with a valid
    > login shell.

    In my defence, it's not a paraphase; it's accurate save for possible
    minor and unimportant wording differences (I didn't remember it word for
    word) and the message is still clear.

    Thanks for the tip, though, I didn't think of looking in /etc/passwd,
    but I will when I'm back at my linux box. I do know that all the major
    shells (or all the ones I know of) are listed in /etc/shells, but it's
    possible the entry for my user account in /etc/passwd has that part
    missing. If it is, I'll just put it to bash, as that's what it should
    be anyway.

    >>logging in as root from this screen, and it worked fine. How do I
    >>enable my regular account to log in from here?

    > Try fixing the thing that the desktop manager was complaining about
    > first, if that doesn't work, check /var/log/kdm.log for more information
    > about what went wrong.

    I'm guessing the difference is that for the root account, there is a
    login shell entry in /etc/passwd, while for my regular user account,
    there isn't.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread