Probs. with X window - X

This is a discussion on Probs. with X window - X ; Hey, I'm a noobie to linux. I installed debian 3.0 and install seemed to go fine but then on the first boot up the x server window thing says that there weren't any suitable screens. I tried running this configure ...

  1. Probs. with X window

    Hey, I'm a noobie to linux. I installed debian 3.0 and install seemed to go
    fine but then on the first boot up the x server window thing says that there
    weren't any suitable screens. I tried running this configure program but either
    I don't know how to use it or it isn;t functioning properly. Thanks for any
    help you can give.

    Carl

  2. Re: Probs. with X window

    On 26 Jul 2004 15:31:02 GMT, PudgyI8U staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > Hey, I'm a noobie to linux. I installed debian 3.0

    Debian is not typically recommended for newbies, because its
    autodetection and autoconfiguration of hardware is far behind SuSE's and
    Mandrake's. You have to know a bit about Linux to get the most out of
    Debian, but system upgrades and installing new packages on Debian is
    easier and faster than almost any other system.

    > to go fine but then on the first boot up the x server window thing
    > says that there weren't any suitable screens.

    Don't paraphrase error messages. What was the exact text of the error
    that you received when you tried to execute "startx"? X always writes a
    log file to /var/log/XFree86.0.log , so grep that log file for the first
    line containing "(EE)" and post that line and some lines of context.
    You might also want to put your XF86Config file on your webspace and
    follow up to this message with the URL.

    > I tried running this configure program but either I don't know how to
    > use it or it isn't functioning properly.

    *Which* configure program? There are a number of programs that you can
    run that'll try to generate an XF86Config file, at least one
    Debian-specific, at least 2 that are part of X. I typically run "X
    -configure" as root, which generates an XF86Config file that I then
    hand-edit to set the color depth and screen resolutions up properly.
    You may want to post the exact make and model of your video card and the
    version number you see when you run "X -version" since there may be
    problems with running newer video cards on older versions of X.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!