remote access to graphic shell - X

This is a discussion on remote access to graphic shell - X ; Hi all I have FedoraCore 2 installed and successully running. And I have Windows. I need to connect from Windows to FC2 and be able to run applications in a graphical shell. Just like with Remote Desktop Windows technology. I ...

  1. remote access to graphic shell

    Hi all

    I have FedoraCore 2 installed and successully running. And I have Windows.
    I need to connect from Windows to FC2 and be able to run applications in a
    graphical shell. Just like with Remote Desktop Windows technology.
    I have already browsed a little over the internet, but could not find
    step-by-step guide how to do this. So, untill now I only installed Cygwin
    for windows on my computer. I can connect with ssh or telnet, but only text
    shell.
    Please help

  2. Re: remote access to graphic shell

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:14:59 +0300, Eugen staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I have FedoraCore 2 installed

    I'm sorry.

    > I need to connect from Windows to FC2 and be able to run
    > applications in a graphical shell. I have already browsed a little
    > over the internet, but could not find step-by-step guide how to do
    > this.

    0. Install KDE Desktop Sharing
    1. KDE Control Center->Internet and Network->Desktop Sharing, make sure
    the "allow uninvited connections" and "allow uninvited connections to
    control the desktop" boxes are checked, set a password.
    2. http://tightvnc.com/ , download the Windows client, install it on
    your Windows machine.
    3. Start TightVNC Client and enter your Linux machine's IP address and
    the password you set in step 1.

    If you have an X server installed on your Windows machine, you can use
    ssh's X11 forwarding to start up applications on your Linux machine and
    have them displayed on your 'Doze machine's X server, which may be
    faster than using VNC. Like so:

    0. Start X server on Windows machine.
    1. "ssh -X linuxmachine" from Windows machine.
    2. xeyes &
    3. xeyes should start and display on your Windows machine's X server.
    If it doesn't, read the error messages carefully and reproduce them
    exactly for us.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!