Boot problems - X

This is a discussion on Boot problems - X ; Hi, I've been trying to setup an old PC I have as a router / firewall running Mandrake Linux 9.0. The machine is an old Dell Optiple Gxa, with a 1.6Gb HDD and 233Mhz Pentium2. THe hard disk came from ...

  1. Boot problems

    Hi,

    I've been trying to setup an old PC I have as a router / firewall running
    Mandrake Linux 9.0. The machine is an old Dell Optiple Gxa, with a 1.6Gb HDD
    and 233Mhz Pentium2. THe hard disk came from another PC but was all working
    when installed (running win98) I removed all partitions before running the
    Mandrake setup ...

    I ran the complete installation and re-booted and all that happens when the
    machine restarts is immediately after BIOS the screen writes the following
    to screen 'L 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09
    09 09 09 ...' (except a few more 09's!).

    After some investigation it appeared that the issue I had was with the LILO
    boot loader so I replaced it using the repair disk and rescue mode but I get
    exactly the same results.

    Can anyone help please!

    Im fairly new to linux so could do with some easy to follow advice!

    Thanks

    Lewis

  2. Re: Boot problems

    Lewis Barclay wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been trying to setup an old PC I have as a router / firewall running
    > Mandrake Linux 9.0. The machine is an old Dell Optiple Gxa, with a 1.6Gb
    > HDD and 233Mhz Pentium2. THe hard disk came from another PC but was all
    > working when installed (running win98) I removed all partitions before
    > running the Mandrake setup ...
    >
    > I ran the complete installation and re-booted and all that happens when
    > the machine restarts is immediately after BIOS the screen writes the
    > following to screen 'L 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09
    > 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 ...' (except a few more 09's!).
    >
    > After some investigation it appeared that the issue I had was with the
    > LILO boot loader so I replaced it using the repair disk and rescue mode
    > but I get exactly the same results.
    >
    > Can anyone help please!
    >
    > Im fairly new to linux so could do with some easy to follow advice!

    According to lilo's documentation:

    0x09 "DMA attempt across 64k boundary". This shouldn't happen. Try
    omitting the COMPACT option.

    Eric

+ Reply to Thread