Scalable fonts unreadably small - X

This is a discussion on Scalable fonts unreadably small - X ; Hi folks, I have the following problem that used to pop up rather randomly at first, but is now bugging me constantly: When using Gnome or KDE applications (and that includes gdm and kdm), the font on the screen is ...

  1. Scalable fonts unreadably small

    Hi folks,

    I have the following problem that used to pop up rather randomly at
    first, but is now bugging me constantly:

    When using Gnome or KDE applications (and that includes gdm and kdm),
    the font on the screen is unreadably small (about three pixels high).
    This does not extend to fixed fonts such as used by xterms.

    I have NO idea what causes this problem. I uninstalled all
    freetype-related stuff, but that didn't change anything (I can't
    uninstall everything scalable-font-related because that would break
    KDE).

    I have to keep restarting gdm until I get a legible font. A single
    restart used to be good enough, but now I have to do it as often as
    fifteen times to get something legible on screen. Sometimes I also get a
    gigantic loginscreen (so that I see about three beautifully rendered
    letters filling the entire screen).

    A recent upgrade to debian-sarge did, if anything, matters worse.

    This is xserver-xfree 4.3.0 and KDE 3.2

    Thanks all!
    --Daniel

    --
    "With me is nothing wrong! And with you?" (from r.a.m.p)

  2. Re: Scalable fonts unreadably small

    In article ,
    Daniel Haude wrote:

    > I have the following problem that used to pop up rather randomly at
    > first, but is now bugging me constantly:
    >
    > When using Gnome or KDE applications (and that includes gdm and kdm),
    > the font on the screen is unreadably small (about three pixels high).
    > This does not extend to fixed fonts such as used by xterms.
    >
    > I have NO idea what causes this problem. I uninstalled all
    > freetype-related stuff, but that didn't change anything (I can't
    > uninstall everything scalable-font-related because that would break
    > KDE).
    >
    > I have to keep restarting gdm until I get a legible font.

    Is a good font in [gk]dm a guarantee that you'll have decent fonts in the
    following {Gnome,KDE} session? Otherwise you should be able to type
    username, tab, password, enter blind. Can you change the fonts used inside
    {Gnome,KDE}?

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    CAPRICORN: The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person...

  3. Re: Scalable fonts unreadably small

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:40:02 GMT,
    Hactar wrote
    in Msg.

    > Is a good font in [gk]dm a guarantee that you'll have decent fonts in the
    > following {Gnome,KDE} session? Otherwise you should be able to type
    > username, tab, password, enter blind. Can you change the fonts used inside
    > {Gnome,KDE}?

    It really doesn't matter which Gnome/KDE app I start; I can go through
    xdm (or no display manager at all) and the situation is just the same.
    The display manager is not the issue; it just happens to usually be
    the first X program to run.

    I think the problem must be at whatever point it is that an X
    application decides on which font it wants to use. I've found nothing
    that I could make any sense of under /etc/X11. Since I'm running
    several linux boxes and this is the only one that has this problem I
    think that for whatever reason the "font size decision" is based on
    erratic information coming from the system (this is a Matrox G400).

    --Daniel

    --
    "With me is nothing wrong! And with you?" (from r.a.m.p)

+ Reply to Thread