strange xfs problems after upgrade to new kernel - X

This is a discussion on strange xfs problems after upgrade to new kernel - X ; I stupidly tried to upgrade a RedHat system that was working fine, and have apparently made a mess of it: I can no longer get X to work, even though it was working like a charm before. Briefly, here are ...

  1. strange xfs problems after upgrade to new kernel

    I stupidly tried to upgrade a RedHat system that was working fine, and
    have apparently made a mess of it: I can no longer get X to work,
    even though it was working like a charm before. Briefly, here are the
    details:

    0. Was running kernel version 2.4.21-4.EL with the 'nvidia' driver
    and a fairly recent version of XFree86
    1. Upgraded the kernel to 2.4.21-15.0.3.EL using RedHat's up2date
    utility
    2. Noticed that many fonts were missing in KDE
    3. Tried to install True Type fonts from a Windows machine, following
    the instructions in various how-to's on the web (e.g., the "Font
    De-Uglification" one)
    4. Seemed to have made some progress, but then one afternoon
    (seemingly out of nowhere), X failed to recover after a logout. (It
    should have come back to an XDM login screen, but hung on an NVidia
    splash screen.) I rebooted, but haven't been able to get X to start
    since then.
    5. Started reading newsgroup postings and web resources in an attempt
    to figure out what was wrong. I have learned a ton, but unfortunately
    not enough to resolve the problem.
    6. Tried updating the nvidia driver. Didn't help.
    7. Carefully checked the XF86Config file. Everything seems fine
    there.
    8. Re-installed XFree86. Was able to get X to at least _try_
    starting, but then it would quit with an error saying it couldn't load
    the default font 'fixed'.
    9. Checked to see if xfs was running. It was. Why then isn't the
    font 'fixed' being found? Stripped the list of font paths down to one
    (in /etc/X11/fs/config), and made sure that an entry for 'fixed' was
    included in that path's fonts.alias file. Ran

    # fslsfonts -system unix/:7100

    and saw a bunch of fonts listed.

    Then

    # fslsfonts -system unix/:7100 -fn fixed

    and got back "fixed"

    Finally,

    # fslsfonts -system unix/:7100 -ll -fn fixed

    at which point I get

    fslsfonts: pattern "fixed" unmatched
    FSlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0x2) in reply type 0x0!

    10. Various google searches yielded no info on what that last error
    means. I'm prepared to conclude that it's time to give up and resort
    to the "Aw, screw it, I'll just re-install everything from scratch"
    approach. I'm inclined to think that something is badly broken; in
    addition to that "sequence lost" error, I also get segmentation faults
    when I try to run 'ttmkfdir' ...

    Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated. If I figure this out
    myself (or through the generous help of others), I'll happily post the
    solution so that others can be spared the hassle.

  2. Re: strange xfs problems after upgrade to new kernel

    Alan wrote:
    > I stupidly tried to upgrade a RedHat system that was working fine, and
    > have apparently made a mess of it: I can no longer get X to work,
    > even though it was working like a charm before. Briefly, here are the
    > details:
    >
    > 0. Was running kernel version 2.4.21-4.EL with the 'nvidia' driver
    > and a fairly recent version of XFree86
    > 1. Upgraded the kernel to 2.4.21-15.0.3.EL using RedHat's up2date
    > utility

    Notice, your nvidia driver isn't automatically updated and needs to be
    recompiled for your new kernel.

    > 3. Tried to install True Type fonts from a Windows machine, following
    > the instructions in various how-to's on the web (e.g., the "Font
    > De-Uglification" one)

    Just copy to the /usr/share/fonts/ttf directory, see to that it's readeble by
    everyone. You need to restart xfs and then X to make the changes to take
    affect properly.

    > 4. Seemed to have made some progress, but then one afternoon
    > (seemingly out of nowhere), X failed to recover after a logout. (It
    > should have come back to an XDM login screen, but hung on an NVidia
    > splash screen.) I rebooted, but haven't been able to get X to start
    > since then.

    Check your /var/log/XFree86.0.log, the problem may be the driver is missing.

    > 5. Started reading newsgroup postings and web resources in an attempt
    > to figure out what was wrong. I have learned a ton, but unfortunately
    > not enough to resolve the problem.
    > 6. Tried updating the nvidia driver. Didn't help.
    > 7. Carefully checked the XF86Config file. Everything seems fine
    > there.
    > 8. Re-installed XFree86. Was able to get X to at least _try_
    > starting, but then it would quit with an error saying it couldn't load
    > the default font 'fixed'.

    You can alwyas give one path in your /etc/X11/XF86Config, in case your xfs has
    of some reason died or using another port than the one said in the XF86Config.

    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"

    Many systems nowdays uses "port" -1, while it used to be port 7100

    FontPath "unix/:-1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread