Trouble with GDM when running with no monitor attached to the console - X

This is a discussion on Trouble with GDM when running with no monitor attached to the console - X ; I'm running a simple box (Red Hat 7.2) to act as a back up server at a remote site. Just a big drive with a Snap Server mounted vi NFS and Samba running so that Windows can access the appropriate ...

  1. Trouble with GDM when running with no monitor attached to the console

    I'm running a simple box (Red Hat 7.2) to act as a back up server at
    a remote site. Just a big drive with a Snap Server mounted vi NFS
    and Samba running so that Windows can access the appropriate files.

    Everything works perfectly except GDM. I set this box up so that it
    could be sent to our remote location, plugged into the network and
    power, turned on and forgotten about. We have no administrator at
    our remote site so it needed to be brain dead. I wanted to be able
    to log into the system (via KDE) so that I could use all the nice
    GUI tools but it seems that GDM will not start if no monitor is
    plugged in. I see something called XKeepsCrashing running in the
    process list. GDM worked fine with a monitor plugged in. Is there
    some configuration I can change to allow GDM to start a client that
    I can log into remotely even though there's no monitor attached to
    the console?

    Any help much appreciated,

    James Kimble

  2. Re: Trouble with GDM when running with no monitor attached to the console

    > plugged in. I see something called XKeepsCrashing running in the
    > process list. GDM worked fine with a monitor plugged in. Is there

    You should check your XFree86.0.log (or Xorg.0.log) for details on as to
    why it keeps crashing. But one thing I can thinkof , and which could cause
    this, is that your graphics adapter tries to check for monitor via DDC. In
    that case you should disable DDC in the adapter's driver section and
    define statically a monitor (which doesn't need to physically attached,
    just so that there is an entry for a monitor, that is; fake a monitor
    -WareKala

+ Reply to Thread