Qt !!! - X

This is a discussion on Qt !!! - X ; I have tried to compile kopete and it give me the following : checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation! For more details about this problem, look at the ...

  1. Qt !!!

    I have tried to compile kopete and it give me the following :

    checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2) (headers and
    libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
    For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.

    I have installed the follow qts already

    qt-3.2.3-0.2
    qt-devel-3.2.3-0.2
    qtcups-2.0-15

    Did I miss something ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Qt !!!

    ojisama@gmail.com (lokman) wrote in message news:<7bd49141.0407182316.6b367aa8@posting.google.com>...
    > I have tried to compile kopete and it give me the following :
    >
    > checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2) (headers and
    > libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
    > For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
    >
    > I have installed the follow qts already
    >
    > qt-3.2.3-0.2
    > qt-devel-3.2.3-0.2
    > qtcups-2.0-15
    >
    > Did I miss something ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Perhaps the program cannot be located through your PATH variable. I am
    also getting a similar error with gDesklets with Slackware. But
    perhaps that helps.

    -Nathan

  3. Re: Qt !!!

    This morning, lokman wrote:
    > I have tried to compile kopete and it give me the following :
    >
    > checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2) (headers and
    > libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
    > For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.

    You should try to take a look at the end of config.log as it will
    tell you exactly what went wrong. I should also point out that by "at
    the end", I don't exactly mean _really_ at the end, as you will
    probably have to go a few page ups untill you find the error itself.

    --
    | # | Roberto Selbach Teixeira
    | #| KDE Developer, http://kde.org, rst@kde.org
    |###| ICQ: 3203806, MSN: rst@iname.com

  4. Re: Qt !!!

    Thanks a lot, I have fixed the problem by looking at the config.log
    and specify the Qt directory during the configure command.

    But some other things come out actually. From the log it says:

    configure:29561: checking if UIC has KDE plugins available
    configure:29588: /usr/lib/qt-3.2//bin/uic -L
    /usr/lib/kde3/plugins/designer -nounload -impl actest.h actest.ui >
    actest.cpp
    configure:29591: $? = 0
    configure:29605: result: no
    configure:29608: error: you need to install kdelibs first.

    I have kdelibs and kdelibs-devel installed. So is this problem coming
    from Qt, kdelib or somethign else ?

    Thanks

    "Roberto Selbach Teixeira" wrote in message news:<87658kjcuc.fsf@iname.com>...
    > This morning, lokman wrote:
    > > I have tried to compile kopete and it give me the following :
    > >
    > > checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2) (headers and
    > > libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
    > > For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.

    > You should try to take a look at the end of config.log as it will
    > tell you exactly what went wrong. I should also point out that by "at
    > the end", I don't exactly mean _really_ at the end, as you will
    > probably have to go a few page ups untill you find the error itself.

  5. Re: Qt !!!

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:22:51 -0300, Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:

    > This morning, lokman wrote:
    >> I have tried to compile kopete and it give me the following :
    >>
    >> checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2) (headers and
    >> libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
    >> For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.

    > You should try to take a look at the end of config.log as it will
    > tell you exactly what went wrong. I should also point out that by "at
    > the end", I don't exactly mean _really_ at the end, as you will
    > probably have to go a few page ups untill you find the error itself.

    With previous versions of KDE applications I have sometimes found that I
    needed to put into my build environment (using the following bash commands):

    export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
    export KDEDIR=/opt/kde3

    You might be missing something like that. Next question... why?

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

  6. Re: Qt !!!

    Thank you very much for your help.

    in fact I do not have /opt/kde directory.

    I did the following:

    ../configure --with-qt-includes=/usr/lib/qt-3.2/include/
    --with-qt-libraries=/usr/lib/qt-3.2/lib/
    --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt-3.2/ --libdir=/usr/lib/kde3/
    --includedir=/usr/include/kde/

    when I configure [Keramik] Transparent Kicker (TARBALL):

    http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=2194

    it worked perfectly fine and I can installed the transparent kicker. I
    found out that inside the configure script file, kermaik and kopete is
    doing the similar thing (looking for KDEDIR).

    If there is the case where /opt/kde3 is not exist, which kde should I
    specify normally ?

    Thanks a lot again.

    Juhan Leemet wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:22:51 -0300, Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:
    >
    > > This morning, lokman wrote:
    > >> I have tried to compile kopete and it give me the following :
    > >>
    > >> checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2) (headers and
    > >> libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
    > >> For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.

    > > You should try to take a look at the end of config.log as it will
    > > tell you exactly what went wrong. I should also point out that by "at
    > > the end", I don't exactly mean _really_ at the end, as you will
    > > probably have to go a few page ups untill you find the error itself.

    > With previous versions of KDE applications I have sometimes found that I
    > needed to put into my build environment (using the following bash commands):
    >
    > export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
    > export KDEDIR=/opt/kde3
    >
    > You might be missing something like that. Next question... why?

  7. Re: Qt !!!

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:09:32 -0700, lokman wrote:
    > Thank you very much for your help.

    No problem.

    [snippage]
    > If there is the case where /opt/kde3 is not exist, which kde should I
    > specify normally ?

    Depends on the distro. Looks like you did it right, for your distro.

    My SuSE 8.2 puts qt3, kde3, gnome, gnome2, and other stuff into the /opt
    directory. See the fhs (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) for some
    explanations. I think in summary /usr was the old place for these kinds of
    "optional" software packages, and now many vendors are starting to put
    them into /opt (for "optional"). There is still some controvery, since it
    complicates the PATH specification.

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

  8. Re: Qt !!!

    Thanks for the help again.

    Can you tell me 2 more things.

    1) What is the business with $KDEDIR ? Is it talking about KDE lib and
    incluide or the execution ? I am asking because I have no idea about
    what is in this directory....

    2) What is the difference between Qt and Qt3 ? Though they are
    different I know.

    Thanks again.

    Juhan Leemet wrote in message news:...
    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:09:32 -0700, lokman wrote:
    > > Thank you very much for your help.

    > No problem.
    >
    > [snippage]
    > > If there is the case where /opt/kde3 is not exist, which kde should I
    > > specify normally ?

    > Depends on the distro. Looks like you did it right, for your distro.
    >
    > My SuSE 8.2 puts qt3, kde3, gnome, gnome2, and other stuff into the /opt
    > directory. See the fhs (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) for some
    > explanations. I think in summary /usr was the old place for these kinds of
    > "optional" software packages, and now many vendors are starting to put
    > them into /opt (for "optional"). There is still some controvery, since it
    > complicates the PATH specification.

  9. Re: Qt !!!

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:01:00 -0700, lokman wrote:
    > Thanks for the help again.
    >
    > Can you tell me 2 more things.
    >
    > 1) What is the business with $KDEDIR ? Is it talking about KDE lib and
    > incluide or the execution ? I am asking because I have no idea about
    > what is in this directory....

    Yes, I have noticed that some packages I have built wanted to know the
    "root directory" for all the KDE stuff. For my SuSE 8.2 distro that is
    /opt/kde3. Those packages seemed to be happiest when I had KDEDIR defined
    in my environment, as I was building them. I could have done as you did,
    and put in explicit --includedir=, etc. However, if I had
    the KDEDIR in my environment, I didn't have to do that. I was able to use
    just a plain/simple ./configure.

    I guess in your distro there is no such thing? Your KDE includes and
    libraries seem to be in the system directories. You correctly used the
    configure switches to specify these independently.

    BTW, I was surprised to see that you used
    --libdir=/usr/lib/kde3/
    but
    --includedir=/usr/lib/kde/

    (without the 3). You mean they are not consistent? Why?

    > 2) What is the difference between Qt and Qt3 ? Though they are
    > different I know.

    Again, it depends on the distro. I believe an earlier release of SuSE had
    both qt-1 and qt-2 included, because they had included applications that
    required one or the other. Because RPM cannot simultaneously have two
    versions of qt in its database, they called one package qt and called the
    other qt2, IIRC. By extension, they followed the same convention going
    forward, and called the next package names qt3. I don't think there is any
    qt (1) or qt2 stuff left anymore, but you could have them if you wanted.

    You haven't said which distro you're using, so I can't comment on it (even
    if I have used a version in the past, if I remember details).

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

  10. Re: Qt !!!

    I am using RedHat 9 actually. I will try and dearch for /usr/lib/kde
    instead of kde3.... Have you use RH 9 before ? It sounds like the lib
    are located in kde3 directory but the include files are in the kde
    directory. I didn't do anything special before though.......

    Juhan Leemet wrote in message news:...
    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:01:00 -0700, lokman wrote:
    > > Thanks for the help again.
    > >
    > > Can you tell me 2 more things.
    > >
    > > 1) What is the business with $KDEDIR ? Is it talking about KDE lib and
    > > incluide or the execution ? I am asking because I have no idea about
    > > what is in this directory....

    > Yes, I have noticed that some packages I have built wanted to know the
    > "root directory" for all the KDE stuff. For my SuSE 8.2 distro that is
    > /opt/kde3. Those packages seemed to be happiest when I had KDEDIR defined
    > in my environment, as I was building them. I could have done as you did,
    > and put in explicit --includedir=, etc. However, if I had
    > the KDEDIR in my environment, I didn't have to do that. I was able to use
    > just a plain/simple ./configure.
    >
    > I guess in your distro there is no such thing? Your KDE includes and
    > libraries seem to be in the system directories. You correctly used the
    > configure switches to specify these independently.
    >
    > BTW, I was surprised to see that you used
    > --libdir=/usr/lib/kde3/
    > but
    > --includedir=/usr/lib/kde/
    >
    > (without the 3). You mean they are not consistent? Why?
    >
    > > 2) What is the difference between Qt and Qt3 ? Though they are
    > > different I know.

    > Again, it depends on the distro. I believe an earlier release of SuSE had
    > both qt-1 and qt-2 included, because they had included applications that
    > required one or the other. Because RPM cannot simultaneously have two
    > versions of qt in its database, they called one package qt and called the
    > other qt2, IIRC. By extension, they followed the same convention going
    > forward, and called the next package names qt3. I don't think there is any
    > qt (1) or qt2 stuff left anymore, but you could have them if you wanted.
    >
    > You haven't said which distro you're using, so I can't comment on it (even
    > if I have used a version in the past, if I remember details).

  11. Re: Qt !!!

    I am using RedHat 9 actually. I will try and dearch for /usr/lib/kde
    instead of kde3.... Have you use RH 9 before ? It sounds like the lib
    are located in kde3 directory but the include files are in the kde
    directory. I didn't do anything special before though.......

    Juhan Leemet wrote in message news:...
    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:01:00 -0700, lokman wrote:
    > > Thanks for the help again.
    > >
    > > Can you tell me 2 more things.
    > >
    > > 1) What is the business with $KDEDIR ? Is it talking about KDE lib and
    > > incluide or the execution ? I am asking because I have no idea about
    > > what is in this directory....

    > Yes, I have noticed that some packages I have built wanted to know the
    > "root directory" for all the KDE stuff. For my SuSE 8.2 distro that is
    > /opt/kde3. Those packages seemed to be happiest when I had KDEDIR defined
    > in my environment, as I was building them. I could have done as you did,
    > and put in explicit --includedir=, etc. However, if I had
    > the KDEDIR in my environment, I didn't have to do that. I was able to use
    > just a plain/simple ./configure.
    >
    > I guess in your distro there is no such thing? Your KDE includes and
    > libraries seem to be in the system directories. You correctly used the
    > configure switches to specify these independently.
    >
    > BTW, I was surprised to see that you used
    > --libdir=/usr/lib/kde3/
    > but
    > --includedir=/usr/lib/kde/
    >
    > (without the 3). You mean they are not consistent? Why?
    >
    > > 2) What is the difference between Qt and Qt3 ? Though they are
    > > different I know.

    > Again, it depends on the distro. I believe an earlier release of SuSE had
    > both qt-1 and qt-2 included, because they had included applications that
    > required one or the other. Because RPM cannot simultaneously have two
    > versions of qt in its database, they called one package qt and called the
    > other qt2, IIRC. By extension, they followed the same convention going
    > forward, and called the next package names qt3. I don't think there is any
    > qt (1) or qt2 stuff left anymore, but you could have them if you wanted.
    >
    > You haven't said which distro you're using, so I can't comment on it (even
    > if I have used a version in the past, if I remember details).

  12. Re: Qt !!!

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:50:52 -0700, lokman wrote:
    > I am using RedHat 9 actually. I will try and dearch for /usr/lib/kde
    > instead of kde3.... Have you use RH 9 before ? It sounds like the lib
    > are located in kde3 directory but the include files are in the kde
    > directory. I didn't do anything special before though.......

    OK, the last RedHat that I used was years ago. That was either 6.1 or 6.2.
    Since then I experimented with Mandrake, and moved to SuSE 7.2. I've been
    using SuSE ever since, and have SuSE 9.1 update on order.

    It's somewhat odd that RH would use kde and/or kde3 in different places.
    Maybe they have some aliases (soft links?) that make them equivalent?
    OTOH, those are just names, so as long as you get a configuration that
    works... that'll float your boat!

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.