remote Xing problem - X

This is a discussion on remote Xing problem - X ; Dear All, trying to get X to display from/to a remote server so we can use something like 'nedit' to edit files from the remote system. Everything we do ends up with a "can't open display" error. We've set DISPLAY ...

  1. remote Xing problem

    Dear All,

    trying to get X to display from/to a remote server so we can use
    something like 'nedit' to edit files from the remote system. Everything we
    do ends up with a "can't open display" error.

    We've set DISPLAY to our local system (DISPLAY=localhost:0,0), added the
    remote server to our xhosts, told the remote server to talk to the network
    and launched 'nedit' with DISPLAY and always the same error.

    We are now officially flummoxed.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,

    (Running Debian3, Kernel 2.4, XFree 4, KDE)

  2. Re: remote Xing problem

    Richard Wright wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > trying to get X to display from/to a remote server so we can use
    > something like 'nedit' to edit files from the remote system. Everything we
    > do ends up with a "can't open display" error.
    >
    > We've set DISPLAY to our local system (DISPLAY=localhost:0,0), added the
    > remote server to our xhosts, told the remote server to talk to the network
    > and launched 'nedit' with DISPLAY and always the same error.

    The DISPLAY should be the address of the machine where you are sitting at, and
    of course in a manner that the machine where you are going to start the
    X-application at will know the machine you are sitting at.

    localhost ALWAY points at the machine itself!

    Say your computer where you are sitting at is 192.168.0.2 and the machine
    where you want to run nedit is 192.168.0.3, then the display should be set
    like this: DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0.0 nedit

    If you are using ssh to connect between the machines, then you should edit
    your /etc/ssh/sshd_config and allow X11Forwarding, this is easilly done with
    the following row in the config file:

    X11Forwarding yes

    This way you only need to type: nedit
    to start the application and get it displayed on the machine where you are
    sitting (of course, you need to restart sshd after you have changed the
    configuration).

    //Aho

  3. Re: remote Xing problem

    Sorry, that's what I meant to say (as in "localhost-whatever-it-is":0,0)
    And we have also set ssh X11 Forwarding to 'yes' and tried using 'ssh -X' to
    log in.

    And still "can't open display"...

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    > Richard Wright wrote:
    > > Dear All,
    > >
    > > trying to get X to display from/to a remote server so we can use
    > > something like 'nedit' to edit files from the remote system. Everything

    we
    > > do ends up with a "can't open display" error.
    > >
    > > We've set DISPLAY to our local system (DISPLAY=localhost:0,0), added the
    > > remote server to our xhosts, told the remote server to talk to the

    network
    > > and launched 'nedit' with DISPLAY and always the same error.

    > The DISPLAY should be the address of the machine where you are sitting at,

    and
    > of course in a manner that the machine where you are going to start the
    > X-application at will know the machine you are sitting at.
    >
    > localhost ALWAY points at the machine itself!
    >
    > Say your computer where you are sitting at is 192.168.0.2 and the machine
    > where you want to run nedit is 192.168.0.3, then the display should be set
    > like this: DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0.0 nedit
    >
    > If you are using ssh to connect between the machines, then you should edit
    > your /etc/ssh/sshd_config and allow X11Forwarding, this is easilly done

    with
    > the following row in the config file:
    >
    > X11Forwarding yes
    >
    > This way you only need to type: nedit
    > to start the application and get it displayed on the machine where you are
    > sitting (of course, you need to restart sshd after you have changed the
    > configuration).
    >

    > //Aho

  4. Re: remote Xing problem

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:25:55 +0000, Richard Wright wrote:

    > Sorry, that's what I meant to say (as in "localhost-whatever-it-is":0,0)
    > And we have also set ssh X11 Forwarding to 'yes' and tried using 'ssh -X'
    > to log in.
    >
    > And still "can't open display"...

    Have you restarted sshd daemon on remote machine? I'd bet you didn't.

  5. Re: remote Xing problem

    Richard Wright wrote:
    > Sorry, that's what I meant to say (as in "localhost-whatever-it-is":0,0)
    > And we have also set ssh X11 Forwarding to 'yes' and tried using 'ssh -X' to
    > log in.
    >
    > And still "can't open display"...

    As Richard points out, you need to restart the sshd on the remote machine and
    the xhost argument may have to be issued on the local machine

    You may have to check your /etc/ssh/ssh_config and see if your client by
    default allows the Xforward too

    ForwardX11 yes

    Usually you have to do this:
    ssh remotemachine
    user@remote's password:
    nedit

    On a few systems you need to do this:
    xhost +remotemachine
    ssh remotemachine
    user@remote's password:
    nedit

    The only times I ever have needed to use DISPLAY is:
    ssh remotemachine
    user@remote's password:
    su -
    Password: