Set default WM? - X

This is a discussion on Set default WM? - X ; How can I set SuSE 9.0 to launch fvwm2 instead of KDE (KWin?) on 'startx' command? -- (remove 'slet' from mail addr.) Regards, Hans...

  1. Set default WM?

    --
    (remove 'slet' from mail addr.)
    Regards,

  2. Re: Set default WM?

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:10:45 +0200, Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:

    > How can I set SuSE 9.0 to launch fvwm2 instead of KDE (KWin?) on
    > 'startx' command?

    put fvwm2 in your ~/.xinitrc file

    --
    T'aZ |Jabber:taz-007@jabber.org|GPG keyID:E051925D|http://taz.prout.be
    *They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary

  3. Re: Set default WM?

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:
    > How can I set SuSE 9.0 to launch fvwm2 instead of KDE (KWin?) on
    > 'startx' command?

    In .xinitrc, at the end, put this line:

    exec windowmanager

    (where "windowmanager" is the binary of the wm you want to use)

    Also, if you want to start some apps along with your WM you can do
    this:

    app1 &
    app2 &
    exec windowmanager

    (where app1 & app2 are applications you want to start with)
    Remember to include the ampersands after each app.

    --
    /* Variant */

  4. Re: Set default WM?

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:
    > How can I set SuSE 9.0 to launch fvwm2 instead of KDE (KWin?) on
    > 'startx' command?

    To change the default for a specific user, put the following in their
    ~/.profile file...

    export WINDOWMANAGER=fvwm2

    To change the default for all users, SuSE allows you to set a system
    configuration variable via YaST. I have SuSE 8.2, not 9.0, so I can't
    be 100% sure this will work for you, but the steps for 8.2 are:

    1) Start yast2
    2) Go to "System"
    3) Run "Editor for /etc/sysconfig Files"
    4) Select "Desktop" -> "Window manager -> "DEFAULT_WM"
    5) Change "kde" to "fvwm2"

  5. Re: Set default WM?

    Variant wrote:
    > In .xinitrc, at the end, put this line:

    Wasn't very specific

    When I say .xinitrc I mean: /home/user/.xinitrc

    If you don't have this file you can copy it from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

    --
    /* Variant */

  6. Re: Set default WM?

    Steve Kirkendall wrote:
    > To change the default for a specific user, put the following in their
    > ~/.profile file...
    >
    > export WINDOWMANAGER=fvwm2
    >
    > To change the default for all users, SuSE allows you to set a system
    > configuration variable via YaST. I have SuSE 8.2, not 9.0, so I can't
    > be 100% sure this will work for you, but the steps for 8.2 are:
    >
    > 1) Start yast2
    > 2) Go to "System"
    > 3) Run "Editor for /etc/sysconfig Files"
    > 4) Select "Desktop" -> "Window manager -> "DEFAULT_WM"
    > 5) Change "kde" to "fvwm2"

    Thanks to everyone: I first fried with .xinitrec - didn't seem to work
    perfectly. Then I tried via YaST, and it works OK now.

    --
    (fjern slet fra mail adr.)
    med venlig hilsen

  7. Re: Set default WM?

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone: I first fried with .xinitrec - didn't seem to work
    > perfectly. Then I tried via YaST, and it works OK now.

    Well, not OUITE true!
    The problem described persisted when I booted to runlevel 5 (could only
    log in as root).
    I have now changed DISPLAYMANAGER (back) to KDM (via YaST) - with yet
    another surprising outcome:
    When I select 'Linux' in the bootloader, I'm taken straight to a running
    'user' fvwm2 environment - no user profile/password required!
    So how would I log in as root - or as another user - and how do I get
    access sontrol to Linux reestablished??

    --
    (remove 'slet' from mail addr.)
    Regards,

  8. Re: Set default WM?

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:44:07 +0200, Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:
    > Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:
    >> Thanks to everyone: I first fried with .xinitrec - didn't seem to work
    >> perfectly. Then I tried via YaST, and it works OK now.

    > Well, not OUITE true!
    > The problem described persisted when I booted to runlevel 5 (could only
    > log in as root).
    > I have now changed DISPLAYMANAGER (back) to KDM (via YaST) - with yet
    > another surprising outcome:
    > When I select 'Linux' in the bootloader, I'm taken straight to a running
    > 'user' fvwm2 environment - no user profile/password required!
    > So how would I log in as root - or as another user - and how do I get
    > access sontrol to Linux reestablished??

    Most *nix sysadmins recommend not logging into a GUI as "root". It is too
    easy to damage things if you're launching all kinds of stuff from a
    window manager. I do it occasionally, but usually log in a myself.

    If you are logged in as a "normal user" you can use "su" (substitute
    user) or "sux" (su with X) or I think I've also used kdesu (KDE su). This
    will give you a "root" shell or run a program as "root". Check man files.

    This is generally a better approach. You login as yourself, and do all
    your normal things as yourself. If you have to "fix something", then you
    switch in/out of "root" just for the admin repairs. Safest that way.

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

  9. Re: Set default WM?

    Juhan Leemet wrote:
    > Most *nix sysadmins recommend not logging into a GUI as "root". It is too
    > easy to damage things if you're launching all kinds of stuff from a
    > window manager. I do it occasionally, but usually log in a myself.
    >
    > If you are logged in as a "normal user" you can use "su" (substitute
    > user) or "sux" (su with X) or I think I've also used kdesu (KDE su). This
    > will give you a "root" shell or run a program as "root". Check man files.
    >
    > This is generally a better approach. You login as yourself, and do all
    > your normal things as yourself. If you have to "fix something", then you
    > switch in/out of "root" just for the admin repairs. Safest that way.

    OK, thanks (and I fully agree) - but how would I restore 'controlled
    acces' (user-ID/passwd.)?
    And I wonder how 'the system' would react, if I created another user??

    --
    (remove 'fjern' from mail-addr.)
    Regards,

  10. Re: Set default WM?

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:05:19 +0200, Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:
    > Juhan Leemet wrote:
    >> Most *nix sysadmins recommend not logging into a GUI as "root". It is too
    >> easy to damage things if you're launching all kinds of stuff from a
    >> window manager. I do it occasionally, but usually log in a myself.
    >>
    >> If you are logged in as a "normal user" you can use "su" (substitute
    >> user) or "sux" (su with X) or I think I've also used kdesu (KDE su). This
    >> will give you a "root" shell or run a program as "root". Check man files.
    >>
    >> This is generally a better approach. You login as yourself, and do all
    >> your normal things as yourself. If you have to "fix something", then you
    >> switch in/out of "root" just for the admin repairs. Safest that way.

    > OK, thanks (and I fully agree) - but how would I restore 'controlled
    > acces' (user-ID/passwd.)?

    Perhaps in Yast2->Security and Users->Security Settings?
    My panel shows "custom" settings (because I use NIS)
    I don't really want to tinker with it. Sorry.

    You might try changing the "current security settings" to Level 2 =
    Networked Workstation? or maybe even reset to Level 1 = Home Workstation?
    What do you see there right now?

    There is something that does an automatic login without asking for
    password. Some people set this up for their personal system in their
    personal space (i.e. physical security of access, e.g. in your home). I
    usually setup my systems requiring a password, so I'm not familiar.

    > And I wonder how 'the system' would react, if I created another user??

    If you log in as a different user, you would have different /home
    directory and different uid (and maybe gid too), hence different
    permissions. I don't know what you mean here? Basically, anything that
    this other user does to customize their use of the system would be
    separate from yours, as it would be contained within their ~
    /home directory, i.e. somewhere in /home/.

    BTW, it is possible that if you create another user 'the system' might
    realize that you don't want to have the automatic login and disable it?
    Dunno, never been down that path before.

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

  11. Re: Set default WM?

    Juhan Leemet wrote:
    > If you log in as a different user, you would have different /home
    > directory and different uid (and maybe gid too), hence different
    > permissions. I don't know what you mean here?

    Well, basically I meant what you seeem to be hinting at below:

    > BTW, it is possible that if you create another user 'the system' might
    > realize that you don't want to have the automatic login and disable it?
    > Dunno, never been down that path before.

    OK, I should probably just try that and see what happens(?) I think I
    will!

    --
    (remove 'fjern' from mail-addr.)
    Regards,