agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188) - X

This is a discussion on agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188) - X ; Hi: What does this mean (output from dmesg)? Does it mean the AGP bus isn't working like an AGP, but just a PCI? I have an Asus K8V SE Delux mobo, running Suse 9.1 Note also there's no mention of ...

  1. agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188)

    Hi:

    What does this mean (output from dmesg)? Does it mean the AGP bus isn't
    working like an AGP, but just a PCI?

    I have an Asus K8V SE Delux mobo, running Suse 9.1

    Note also there's no mention of anything AGP related in the
    /var/log/XFree86.0.log file.

    I think the video performance is reasonable, but not really sure since I
    don't do much gaming or have anything to compare to. On a 1600x1200
    16bpp display, using an Nvidia FX5200 GPU (MSI card), I get 116 fps from
    glxgears. Using Nvidia's 6106 driver (most recent release).

    Should I be concerned that things aren't quite right? There aren't any
    stability issues so far after about two months of using this box, albeit
    not heavily stressed.

    Thanks.

    --
    ____________________________________
    Christopher R. Carlen

  2. Re: agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188)

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:20:33 -0700, Chris Carlen wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > What does this mean (output from dmesg)? Does it mean the AGP bus isn't
    > working like an AGP, but just a PCI?
    >
    > I have an Asus K8V SE Delux mobo, running Suse 9.1
    >
    > Note also there's no mention of anything AGP related in the
    > /var/log/XFree86.0.log file.
    >
    > I think the video performance is reasonable, but not really sure since I
    > don't do much gaming or have anything to compare to. On a 1600x1200 16bpp
    > display, using an Nvidia FX5200 GPU (MSI card), I get 116 fps from
    > glxgears. Using Nvidia's 6106 driver (most recent release).
    >
    > Should I be concerned that things aren't quite right? There aren't any
    > stability issues so far after about two months of using this box, albeit
    > not heavily stressed.
    >
    > Thanks.

    What
    glxinfo | less
    has to say? If you find this line at the beginning:
    direct rendering: No
    then your DRM isn't working, i.e. your 3d rendering is just software.
    Since you're not using 3d, there's nothing you should worry about. Apart
    from having a via chipset, of course.

  3. Re: agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188)

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:20:33 -0700, Chris Carlen staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > What does [agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset] mean (output from dmesg)?
    > I have an Asus K8V SE Delux mobo, running Suse 9.1

    It means that agpgart doesn't know how to handle your board's AGP
    chipset. You can try adding the line
    options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1
    to /etc/modules.conf , then unloading and reloading agpgart. That might
    get rid of the line in dmesg.

    > On a 1600x1200 16bpp display, using an Nvidia FX5200 GPU (MSI card), I
    > get 116 fps from glxgears. Using Nvidia's 6106 driver. Should I be
    > concerned that things aren't quite right?

    116 fps in glxgears seems pretty slow, since I'm using a TNT2 and I get
    about 800 fps. You're using the evil binary-only nvidia X server,
    right? The output from "glxinfo" should include the string "nVidia
    Corporation" somewhere. Also, nVidia's AGP support might be faster than
    the kernel's AGP support; you can try that out with the line
    Option "NvAgp" "1"
    in the Display section of /etc/X11/XF86Config .

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  4. Re: agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188)

    Alf Tanner wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:20:33 -0700, Chris Carlen wrote:
    >

    >>Hi:
    >>
    >>What does this mean (output from dmesg)? Does it mean the AGP bus isn't
    >>working like an AGP, but just a PCI?
    >>
    >>I have an Asus K8V SE Delux mobo, running Suse 9.1
    >>
    >>Note also there's no mention of anything AGP related in the
    >>/var/log/XFree86.0.log file.
    >>
    >>I think the video performance is reasonable, but not really sure since I
    >>don't do much gaming or have anything to compare to. On a 1600x1200 16bpp
    >>display, using an Nvidia FX5200 GPU (MSI card), I get 116 fps from
    >>glxgears. Using Nvidia's 6106 driver (most recent release).
    >>
    >>Should I be concerned that things aren't quite right? There aren't any
    >>stability issues so far after about two months of using this box, albeit
    >>not heavily stressed.
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > What
    > glxinfo | less
    > has to say? If you find this line at the beginning:
    > direct rendering: No
    > then your DRM isn't working, i.e. your 3d rendering is just software.

    I get:

    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    [snipped]

    > Since you're not using 3d, there's nothing you should worry about. Apart
    > from having a via chipset, of course.

    Heh heh.

    Thanks for the input.

    Good day!

    --
    ____________________________________
    Christopher R. Carlen
    Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
    Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
    crcarle@sandia.gov

  5. Re: agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188)

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.] On Thu, 15 Jul 2004
    > 09:20:33 -0700, Chris Carlen staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >
    >> What does [agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset] mean (output from
    >> dmesg)? I have an Asus K8V SE Delux mobo, running Suse 9.1

    > It means that agpgart doesn't know how to handle your board's AGP
    > chipset. You can try adding the line options agpgart
    > agp_try_unsupported=1 to /etc/modules.conf , then unloading and
    > reloading agpgart. That might get rid of the line in dmesg.

    That didn't go over so well. It gave errors like:

    agpgart: Unknown parameter `agp_try_unsupported'
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_bridge
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol global_cache_flush
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_generic_enable
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_generic_destroy_page
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_remove_bridge
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_generic_mask_memory
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_generic_alloc_by_type
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_generic_free_by_type
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_alloc_bridge
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_add_bridge
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_generic_alloc_page
    amd_k7_agp: Unknown symbol agp_put_bridge

    I suppose I'll have to look through the more recent kernel docs on this
    module if I want to figure out if this option is still available. Im
    running 2.6.4 here.

    >> On a 1600x1200 16bpp display, using an Nvidia FX5200 GPU (MSI
    >> card), I get 116 fps from glxgears. Using Nvidia's 6106 driver.
    >> Should I be concerned that things aren't quite right?

    > 116 fps in glxgears seems pretty slow, since I'm using a TNT2 and I
    > get about 800 fps. You're using the evil binary-only nvidia X
    > server, right? The output from "glxinfo" should include the string
    > "nVidia Corporation" somewhere. Also, nVidia's AGP support might be
    > faster than the kernel's AGP support; you can try that out with the
    > line Option "NvAgp" "1" in the Display section of /etc/X11/XF86Config
    > .

    Perhaps I should clarify. That FPS=116 was for the glxgears window
    maximized on the 1600x1200 display. With the glxgears window in its
    default size (assuming that is always the same regardless of the display
    size) then I get 1900 FPS.

    Maybe not so bad, huh?

    But I still have no idea what mode the AGP bus is in.

    Should there be something about it in the output of glxinfo or
    XFree86.0.log files?

    Thanks for input.

    Good day!

    --
    ____________________________________
    Christopher R. Carlen
    Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
    Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
    crcarle@sandia.gov

  6. Re: agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188)

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:48:08 -0700, Chris Carlen wrote:

    >> What
    >> glxinfo | less
    >> has to say? If you find this line at the beginning: direct rendering: No
    >> then your DRM isn't working, i.e. your 3d rendering is just software.

    > I get:
    >
    > name of display: :0.0
    > display: :0 screen: 0
    > direct rendering: Yes
    > server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation [snipped]
    >
    > > Since you're not using 3d, there's nothing you should worry about.
    > > Apart from having a via chipset, of course.

    > Heh heh.
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > Good day!

    Fine, it's working. So there's nothing to worry about. It just means your
    chipset is not yet present inside pci_ids.h. Perhaps a newer kernel
    includes it (I don't know which one is present in your suse). You should
    look for something which begins with PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA inside this file.

    Bye

  7. Re: agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188)

    Chris Carlen wrote:
    > What does this mean (output from dmesg)? Does it mean the AGP bus isn't
    > working like an AGP, but just a PCI?
    >
    > I have an Asus K8V SE Delux mobo

    I STRONGLY suggest you read about problems with the K8V SE Deluxe at
    .
    Apparently Asus is stubbornly anti-Linux.

    --
    WASHINGTON, July 13 (Reuters) - The U.S. government posted a larger-than-
    expected budget surplus in June, propped up by higher quarterly business tax

  8. Re: agpgart: Unsupported VIA chipset (device id: 3188)

    clifto wrote:
    > Chris Carlen wrote:
    >
    >>What does this mean (output from dmesg)? Does it mean the AGP bus isn't
    >>working like an AGP, but just a PCI?
    >>
    >>I have an Asus K8V SE Delux mobo

    > I STRONGLY suggest you read about problems with the K8V SE Deluxe at
    > .
    > Apparently Asus is stubbornly anti-Linux.

    The data are very inconsistent. The one I have has given me no trouble,
    though I haven't tried to use onboard LAN. The sound works, though I
    haven't tried anything stressful.

    The thing I liked was that the 2.6 kernel based Suse 9.1 recognized and
    installed to the SATA drives without any forcing.

    DMA channels to the SATA and CD-RW work, which never did on my last
    machine which was a major bummer.

    I read that article yesterday, and wasn't sure what to think. The board
    doesn't seem as bad is it sounded. Maybe the user wasn't experienced

    Read this for another data point:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...p?product=1038

    --
    Christopher R. Carlen