Unable to open display and woes - X

This is a discussion on Unable to open display and woes - X ; I just installed Slackware 10. A fresh, clean install. My X version: Release Date: 18 December 2003 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7 Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.26 i686 [ELF] Current Operating System: Linux tron 2.4.26 #21 Mon ...

  1. Unable to open display and woes

    I just installed Slackware 10. A fresh, clean install. My X version:

    Release Date: 18 December 2003
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.26 i686 [ELF]
    Current Operating System: Linux tron 2.4.26 #21 Mon Jun 14 19:17:44
    PDT 2004 i686
    Build Date: 05 June 2004
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
    Module Loader present

    Now I had a problem forwarding X displays to this new linux setup. At
    first I was simply getting a "Unable to open display" error. I ended
    up recreating the .Xauthority and it helped...somewhat.

    I can forward over /usr/openwin/bin/xlogo and admintool (the remote
    server is Solaris). But I can't forward a third-party application. I
    get this error now:

    X Error of failed request: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
    parameter)
    Major opcode of failed request: 73 (X_GetImage)
    Resource id in failed request: 0x40
    Serial number of failed request: 132

    From what I've read around the internet, I get the feeling that the
    app is having issues drawing itself on my local desktop due to a
    possible naming problem or resolution issue? I couldn't find anything
    a little more specific.

    I did a man on XGetImage and it does make a mention about BadDrawable
    but I'm unable to follow what it means and what I should look for.

    Maybe someone could point to some possible items to look for?

    --Matt

  2. Re: Unable to open display and woes

    matt@killermookie.org (Matthew Sims) wrote in message news:<1e963607.0407150846.45bedca1@posting.google.com>...
    > I just installed Slackware 10. A fresh, clean install. My X version:
    >
    > Release Date: 18 December 2003
    > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7
    > Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.26 i686 [ELF]
    > Current Operating System: Linux tron 2.4.26 #21 Mon Jun 14 19:17:44
    > PDT 2004 i686
    > Build Date: 05 June 2004
    > Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
    > to make sure that you have the latest version.
    > Module Loader present
    >
    > Now I had a problem forwarding X displays to this new linux setup. At
    > first I was simply getting a "Unable to open display" error. I ended
    > up recreating the .Xauthority and it helped...somewhat.
    >
    > I can forward over /usr/openwin/bin/xlogo and admintool (the remote
    > server is Solaris). But I can't forward a third-party application. I
    > get this error now:
    >
    > X Error of failed request: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
    > parameter)
    > Major opcode of failed request: 73 (X_GetImage)
    > Resource id in failed request: 0x40
    > Serial number of failed request: 132
    > Current serial number in output stream: 132
    >
    > From what I've read around the internet, I get the feeling that the
    > app is having issues drawing itself on my local desktop due to a
    > possible naming problem or resolution issue? I couldn't find anything
    > a little more specific.
    >
    > I did a man on XGetImage and it does make a mention about BadDrawable
    > but I'm unable to follow what it means and what I should look for.
    >
    > Maybe someone could point to some possible items to look for?
    >
    > --Matt

    I figured it out...actually, someone answered it for me on xorg mailing list.

    I needed to use a -Y when connecting with ssh:

    ssh -X -Y host

    --Matt

+ Reply to Thread