Mapping Mouse Buttons: Anything Besides Imwheel? - X

This is a discussion on Mapping Mouse Buttons: Anything Besides Imwheel? - X ; Can anyone suggest a viable alternative to imwheel? I'm on a new SUSE 9.1 install trying to map the two left-side thumb buttons on a MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer (USB) to alt-left and alt-right. So far, the mouse is winning. ...

  1. Mapping Mouse Buttons: Anything Besides Imwheel?

    Can anyone suggest a viable alternative to imwheel?

    I'm on a new SUSE 9.1 install trying to map the two left-side thumb
    buttons on a MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer (USB) to alt-left and
    alt-right. So far, the mouse is winning.

    No need to bore people with the details. Multiple XF86Config, xmodmap
    and imwheel incantations do not produce the right results. (Using xev,
    I can't get the thumb buttons to be seen as 6 and 7. They're seen as
    4 and 5, and the wheel as 6 7. Imwheel "67" maps left and right to
    the wheel, but so does imwheel "45".)

    Mice with thumb buttons have been out for a few years. I've used
    imwheel on other distributions and it's always been annoying. Is
    there a tool out there that actually works?

  2. Re: Mapping Mouse Buttons: Anything Besides Imwheel?

    On 14 Jul 2004 14:24:48 -0700, wg staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I'm on a new SUSE 9.1 install trying to map the two left-side thumb
    > buttons on a MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer (USB) to alt-left and
    > alt-right. Multiple XF86Config, xmodmap and imwheel incantations do
    > not produce the right results.

    Wrong tools. You need xbindkeys combined with xmacroplay. Put the
    string slrnb6nldq.bd4.danceswithcrows@saman...2.dy ndns.org into
    the "find messages with this Message-ID" field of
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search , press the Search
    button. That message describes binding keys to actions; you can pretty
    easily bind mouse buttons 6 and 7 to various actions as well. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!