Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama - X

This is a discussion on Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama - X ; Hello all, I hope I am not asking a question that has been asked way too many times already (I _have_ googled but no luck). I have a JVC mini-note laptop which uses the SiS 630 graphics card. This supports ...

  1. Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    Hello all,

    I hope I am not asking a question that has been asked way too many times
    already (I _have_ googled but no luck).

    I have a JVC mini-note laptop which uses the SiS 630 graphics card. This
    supports dual-head operation which is fantastic (thanks to
    http://www.winischhofer.net/ for driver etc!). I use Xinerama which also
    works a treat, all on Debian stable (Woody) so X 4.1.

    I use Acrobat's Reader or XPDF to display slides for presentations or
    teaching. When in non-xinerama mode, full screen on the data projector
    works as one would expect. In Xinerama, however, acroread centres the
    image over the two displays, not what I want. XPDF places the image on
    the "left" screen, also not what I want as my left screen is the one on
    the laptop.

    Obviously, I could switch the logical placement of my screens around and
    XPDF should work. However, I would like to be able to use acroread as it
    is faster (at present). Does anybody have any suggestions on how to
    configure acroread to *not* centre in a xinerama mode?

    Thanks in advance,
    eric

    --
    Eric S Fraga, Dept Chemical Engineering, UCL, e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
    ..ooo.ooo.ooo..o...o...o....oo..ooo.oo...o.....o.o ....ooo.ooo.o...

  2. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    E S Fraga wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I hope I am not asking a question that has been asked way too many times
    > already (I _have_ googled but no luck).
    >
    > I have a JVC mini-note laptop which uses the SiS 630 graphics card. This
    > supports dual-head operation which is fantastic (thanks to
    > http://www.winischhofer.net/ for driver etc!). I use Xinerama which also
    > works a treat, all on Debian stable (Woody) so X 4.1.
    >
    > I use Acrobat's Reader or XPDF to display slides for presentations or
    > teaching. When in non-xinerama mode, full screen on the data projector
    > works as one would expect. In Xinerama, however, acroread centres the
    > image over the two displays, not what I want. XPDF places the image on
    > the "left" screen, also not what I want as my left screen is the one on
    > the laptop.

    acroread -geometry widthxheight+xoffset+yoffset

    eg

    acroread -geometry 900x1000+2000+10

    --
    Trevor Barton

  3. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    Trevor Barton wrote:
    > E S Fraga wrote:
    >>I use Acrobat's Reader or XPDF to display slides for presentations or
    >>teaching. When in non-xinerama mode, full screen on the data projector
    >>works as one would expect. In Xinerama, however, acroread centres the
    >>image over the two displays, not what I want. XPDF places the image on
    >>the "left" screen, also not what I want as my left screen is the one on
    >>the laptop.

    > acroread -geometry widthxheight+xoffset+yoffset

    Thanks for the suggestion but, unfortunately, this only applies to the
    initial window and subsequent windows, not the "full screen" mode which
    is used for presentations and doesn't use standard X Window System options.

    The documentation that comes with Acrobat Reader mentions dual display
    preferences, but only for Mac OS, and says "Full screen view of a page
    appears on only one screen" which is exactly what I would like for Linux...

    Anyway, thanks again!

    eric

    --
    Eric S Fraga, Dept Chemical Engineering, UCL, e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
    ..ooo.ooo.ooo..o...o...o....oo..ooo.oo...o.....o.o ....ooo.ooo.o...

  4. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    E S Fraga wrote:
    > Trevor Barton wrote:
    >> E S Fraga wrote:
    >>>I use Acrobat's Reader or XPDF to display slides for presentations or
    >>>teaching. When in non-xinerama mode, full screen on the data projector
    >>>works as one would expect. In Xinerama, however, acroread centres the
    >>>image over the two displays, not what I want. XPDF places the image on
    >>>the "left" screen, also not what I want as my left screen is the one on
    >>>the laptop.

    >> acroread -geometry widthxheight+xoffset+yoffset

    > Thanks for the suggestion but, unfortunately, this only applies to the
    > initial window and subsequent windows, not the "full screen" mode which
    > is used for presentations and doesn't use standard X Window System options.

    Oh, sorry, I misconvovulated "full screen".

    In Fedora, and I guess other flavours, the xorg configuration lets me use
    both xinerama and some other mode which I have not investigated too
    fully but I am using at work which gives me two different displays
    on both monitors. I'm sorry I don't know much about this other mode,
    but in xorg.conf it has something along the lines of "option "xinerama" "off""
    in the ServerLayout section, and option something else on, but I'm afraid
    I'm not at work and so I don't have the xorg.conf to hand. It's something
    like "clone", but anyway it means that I have two completely independant
    displays, I can't move windows from one to the other, and maximised
    windows only occupy one screen. Perhaps this might do what you want?

    --
    Trevor Barton

  5. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    Trevor Barton wrote:
    > In Fedora, and I guess other flavours, the xorg configuration lets me use
    > both xinerama and some other mode which I have not investigated too
    > fully but I am using at work which gives me two different displays
    > on both monitors. I'm sorry I don't know much about this other mode,
    > but in xorg.conf it has something along the lines of "option "xinerama" "off""
    > in the ServerLayout section, and option something else on, but I'm afraid
    > I'm not at work and so I don't have the xorg.conf to hand. It's something
    > like "clone", but anyway it means that I have two completely independant
    > displays, I can't move windows from one to the other, and maximised
    > windows only occupy one screen. Perhaps this might do what you want?

    Yes, this is actually my alternative (i.e. when I cannot use XPDF instead of
    Acrobat Reader) fallback position (and it does work perfectly fine with
    XFree86). The disadvantage is that I use xinerama to "prepare" windows (for
    teaching) on my laptop screen and slide them over to the projector screen
    when I need/want them! When xinerama is not enabled, this cannot be done as
    the two screens are different X servers (:0.0 and :0.1, say). Easy to start
    apps on the other screen but not possible to move them across once they've
    started, AFAIK.

    Thanks again!

    eric

    --
    Eric S Fraga, Chemical Engineering@UCL www.chemeng.ucl.ac.uk/staff/fraga.html
    .........@@@@@@.@@@.@.@@.@.@...@..@@@.@@@.@@.@.... .@.@..@@@.@@@.@.............

  6. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF inxinerama

    > when I need/want them! When xinerama is not enabled, this cannot be done as
    > the two screens are different X servers (:0.0 and :0.1, say). Easy to start
    > apps on the other screen but not possible to move them across once they've
    > started, AFAIK.

    There used to be an X11-proxy called `xmove' which allowed you to do
    just that. There's a Debian package for it, so it seems to still exist.

    Stefan

  7. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    Stefan Monnier wrote:
    >>when I need/want them! When xinerama is not enabled, this cannot be done as
    >>the two screens are different X servers (:0.0 and :0.1, say). Easy to start
    >>apps on the other screen but not possible to move them across once they've
    >>started, AFAIK.

    > There used to be an X11-proxy called `xmove' which allowed you to do
    > just that. There's a Debian package for it, so it seems to still exist.
    >

    > Stefan

    Excellent! Don't know how I missed this when using apt-cache search.
    It's exactly what I need. I haven't tried it yet but the description
    fits my requirements, even if probably a little more cumbersome than
    simply dragging a window across.

    Thanks for the pointer!

    eric

    --
    Eric S Fraga, Dept Chemical Engineering, UCL, e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
    ..ooo.ooo.ooo..o...o...o....oo..ooo.oo...o.....o.o ....ooo.ooo.o...

  8. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    On Monday 12 July 2004 15:06, E S Fraga wrote:

    > Obviously, I could switch the logical placement of my screens around
    > and XPDF should work. However, I would like to be able to use acroread
    > as it is faster (at present). Does anybody have any suggestions on how
    > to configure acroread to *not* centre in a xinerama mode?

    If you're running KDE, kstart might help you. Type "kstart --help-all"
    for a list of all the options available. Since I don't use Xinerama, I
    don't know if that will help.

    JFL

  9. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    >> XPDF should work. However, I would like to be able to use acroread
    >> as it is faster

    Acroread is faster than xpdf? I've never observed that. It usually takes
    about 10 seconds for acroread to lumber into action.

    Bob T.

  10. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    In article <2m09oiFhcrneU1@uni-berlin.de>, Jean-François Lemaire wrote:
    > On Monday 12 July 2004 15:06, E S Fraga wrote:
    >

    >> Obviously, I could switch the logical placement of my screens around
    >> and XPDF should work. However, I would like to be able to use acroread
    >> as it is faster (at present). Does anybody have any suggestions on how
    >> to configure acroread to *not* centre in a xinerama mode?

    > If you're running KDE, kstart might help you. Type "kstart --help-all"
    > for a list of all the options available. Since I don't use Xinerama, I
    > don't know if that will help.

    Thanks for the suggestion. Although I don't use KDE (preferring to stick to
    very minimal WMs [fluxbox, oroborus, ratpoison, ..., depending on task at
    hand]), I have tried kstart. Very useful for what it does but unfortunately
    it does not address the issue which is primarily a problem with acroread in
    that it doesn't want to know about xinerama and cannot differentiate between
    the X server size and the size of a screen (the same applies to xpdf, BTW).
    Other X apps do not have this problem for some reason but then again most
    other apps do not try to ignore the window manager completely by having a
    full screen mode (have not tried OOo in this regard...).

    In summary, I have found that *not* using xinerama works best: start two
    independent X servers, one for each screen, and use xmove to move windows
    from one to the other. Not ideal but it does the job!

    cheers,
    eric

    --
    Eric S Fraga, Chemical Engineering@UCL www.chemeng.ucl.ac.uk/staff/fraga.html
    .........@@@@@@.@@@.@.@@.@.@...@..@@@.@@@.@@.@.... .@.@..@@@.@@@.@.............

  11. Re: Reasonable full screen mode for Acrobat Reader or XPDF in xinerama

    In article , Bob Tennent wrote:
    > >> XPDF should work. However, I would like to be able to use acroread
    > >> as it is faster

    > Acroread is faster than xpdf? I've never observed that. It usually takes
    > about 10 seconds for acroread to lumber into action.
    >
    > Bob T.

    Sorry; I should have been more precise. Yes, xpdf starts up much faster but
    that's not an issue for an hour long lecture... acroread is much faster at
    displaying certain types of pages (e.g. scanned text). Often there is
    little difference between the two however and I do use xpdf by default for
    web browsing etc.

    cheers,
    eric

    --