LIghtweight GUI Library, - X

This is a discussion on LIghtweight GUI Library, - X ; Hi Everybody I'm interested in developing front-ends and applications that uses as little memory as possible. These will be aimed at users of low-end spec PC's. Does anybody know if GTK and QT widgets use more memory than other GUI ...

  1. LIghtweight GUI Library,

    Hi Everybody

    I'm interested in developing front-ends and applications that uses as
    little memory as possible. These will be aimed at users of low-end spec
    PC's.

    Does anybody know if GTK and QT widgets use more memory than other GUI
    widget libraries?

    Thanks in advance

    Alza.

  2. Re: LIghtweight GUI Library,

    Alza wrote:
    > Hi Everybody
    >
    > I'm interested in developing front-ends and applications that uses as
    > little memory as possible. These will be aimed at users of low-end spec
    > PC's.
    >
    > Does anybody know if GTK and QT widgets use more memory than other GUI
    > widget libraries?

    I would say those are the heavy weight GUI's for linux, look at something
    lighter like openmotif.

    //Aho

  3. Re: LIghtweight GUI Library,

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Alza wrote:
    >> Hi Everybody
    >>
    >> I'm interested in developing front-ends and applications that uses as
    >> little memory as possible. These will be aimed at users of low-end spec
    >> PC's.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know if GTK and QT widgets use more memory than other GUI
    >> widget libraries?

    > I would say those are the heavy weight GUI's for linux, look at something
    > lighter like openmotif.
    >

    > //Aho

    How about wxwindows ?

  4. Re: LIghtweight GUI Library,

  5. Re: LIghtweight GUI Library,

    Alza wrote:

    >I'm interested in developing front-ends and applications that uses as
    >little memory as possible. These will be aimed at users of low-end spec
    >PC's.
    >
    >Does anybody know if GTK and QT widgets use more memory than other GUI
    >widget libraries?

    Both of them are resource hogs. If you are truly interested in minimal
    memory size applications, you need to be looking at alternatives like
    Microwindows and NanoX.
    --
    - Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

  6. Re: LIghtweight GUI Library,

    Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when Alza wrote:
    > I'm interested in developing front-ends and applications that uses
    > as little memory as possible. These will be aimed at users of
    > low-end spec PC's.
    >
    > Does anybody know if GTK and QT widgets use more memory than other
    > GUI widget libraries?

    Apps using them tend not to be terribly small, particularly as there
    is plenty of incentive to link in additional GNOME or KDE services.

    Tk tends to still be fairly small, and has bindings to plenty of
    languages.

    FLTK may be, albeit with the cost that it is C++-based, and the
    exception-handling stack tends to bloat things...

    InterViews is a very mature C++-based GUI system, probably able to
    stay small as it predates C++ supporting exceptions...
    --
    If this was helpful, rate me
    http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html

  7. Re: LIghtweight GUI Library,

    Christopher Browne wrote:
    > [ ... ]
    > FLTK may be [small], albeit with the cost that it is C++-based, and the
    > exception-handling stack tends to bloat things...

    Do they use exceptions now? The release I have compiles everything
    with -fno-exceptions .

  8. Re: LIghtweight GUI Library,

    Christopher Browne writes:

    > Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when Alza wrote:
    >> I'm interested in developing front-ends and applications that uses
    >> as little memory as possible. These will be aimed at users of
    >> low-end spec PC's.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know if GTK and QT widgets use more memory than other
    >> GUI widget libraries?

    There's also ZMW,
    , which seems to
    compile up to about 165K on this box, which seems pretty good.
    Widgets themselves don't allocate any memory. It doesn't look very
    pretty, IMHO, and probably lacks themeability and things, but it wins
    in being small.

    [...]

+ Reply to Thread