X and mystic geometry problem - X

This is a discussion on X and mystic geometry problem - X ; Whenever I launch xterm, I get a geometry of 80x25, because I set so in my X resource. However, whenever I pin-point where I want to put it, with -geometry +/-x+/-y, I get a geometry of 80x24 -- i.e., one ...

  1. X and mystic geometry problem

    Whenever I launch xterm, I get a geometry of 80x25, because I set
    so in my X resource. However, whenever I pin-point where I want to
    put it, with -geometry +/-x+/-y, I get a geometry of 80x24 -- i.e.,
    one line shorter than normal. Why is that?

    Proof:

    $ xterm &

    $ xwininfo | grep geometry
    -geometry 80x25+137+137

    $ xterm -geometry +14+14 &

    $ xwininfo | grep geometry
    -geometry 80x24+14+14

    Anybody knows how to fix it?

    Thanks

    --
    Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
    *niX Power Tools Project: http://xpt.sourceforge.net/

  2. Re: X and mystic geometry problem

    * Tong * wrote:
    >Whenever I launch xterm, I get a geometry of 80x25, because I set
    >so in my X resource. However, whenever I pin-point where I want to
    >put it, with -geometry +/-x+/-y, I get a geometry of 80x24 -- i.e.,
    >one line shorter than normal. Why is that?
    >
    >Proof:
    >
    >$ xterm &
    >
    >$ xwininfo | grep geometry
    > -geometry 80x25+137+137
    >
    >$ xterm -geometry +14+14 &
    >
    >$ xwininfo | grep geometry
    > -geometry 80x24+14+14
    >
    >Anybody knows how to fix it?

    A variation of this problem came up a couple of weeks ago in cwx.

    Xterm (for some unknown reason) thinks it can do a better job at
    resource management than the Xt wm shell widget -- trouble is that it
    can't. So, if you repeated your experiment on a properly written Xt
    app, you would get the behaviour that you expected.

    I think Thomas Dickey, the xterm maintainer, is looking at the problem.

  3. Re: X and mystic geometry problem

    Kip Rugger wrote:

    > A variation of this problem came up a couple of weeks ago in cwx.

    > Xterm (for some unknown reason) thinks it can do a better job at
    > resource management than the Xt wm shell widget -- trouble is that it
    > can't. So, if you repeated your experiment on a properly written Xt
    > app, you would get the behaviour that you expected.

    > I think Thomas Dickey, the xterm maintainer, is looking at the problem.

    yes.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net