X-terminal and 3d acceleration - X

This is a discussion on X-terminal and 3d acceleration - X ; hi! i have nvidia card on desktop, that does relly nice 3D hardware acceleration. on laptop i only have s3 so the acceleration is poor. im thinking about making x-server on my desktop, that would be used by x-terminal = ...

  1. X-terminal and 3d acceleration

    hi!

    i have nvidia card on desktop, that does relly nice 3D hardware
    acceleration. on laptop i only have s3 so the acceleration is poor.
    im thinking about making x-server on my desktop, that would be used by
    x-terminal = laptop.
    would i have x-server 3d acceleration on my x-terminal?

    greetz!
    cdr

  2. Re: X-terminal and 3d acceleration

    CeDeROM wrote:
    > hi!
    >
    > i have nvidia card on desktop, that does relly nice 3D hardware
    > acceleration. on laptop i only have s3 so the acceleration is poor.
    > im thinking about making x-server on my desktop, that would be used by
    > x-terminal = laptop.
    > would i have x-server 3d acceleration on my x-terminal?

    When you display on the laptop you will use it's graphics card, regadles if
    the x-client is run on the desktop or not.

    If I don't recall it wrongly, there has been released drivers for s3 that
    should support 3d quite well, think you need to download it from the
    manufactors homepage.

    //Aho

  3. Re: X-terminal and 3d acceleration

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > When you display on the laptop you will use it's graphics card, regadles
    > if the x-client is run on the desktop or not.

    so the 3d rendering is done also on x-terminal? i thought it could be
    like this that the server does the rendering and sends "rendered
    picture" to the terminal.

    > If I don't recall it wrongly, there has been released drivers for s3
    > that should support 3d quite well, think you need to download it from
    > the manufactors homepage.

    i use twister chipset. there are drivers but the lastest version is for
    x 4.1.0 and using them on 4.3.0 gets unresolved symbols

    tanks!
    cdr

  4. Re: X-terminal and 3d acceleration

    CeDeROM wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >

    >> When you display on the laptop you will use it's graphics card,
    >> regadles if the x-client is run on the desktop or not.

    > so the 3d rendering is done also on x-terminal? i thought it could be
    > like this that the server does the rendering and sends "rendered
    > picture" to the terminal.

    This is how it works on Xfree86 and xorg-fork, Xig had some 3d acceleration
    over network support, but ATI and nVidia drivers don't work with it.

    >> If I don't recall it wrongly, there has been released drivers for s3
    >> that should support 3d quite well, think you need to download it from
    >> the manufactors homepage.

    > i use twister chipset. there are drivers but the lastest version is for
    > x 4.1.0 and using them on 4.3.0 gets unresolved symbols

    Try the 4.1.0 driver, wouldn't surprise me that it would work fine, there
    shouldn't been that much change in the driver part of the code of XFree86.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread