Simplest way to measure video performance/acceleration? - X

This is a discussion on Simplest way to measure video performance/acceleration? - X ; Hello, I just updated to X 4.4.0 in order to have video acceleration (the card is a Silicon Motion 3DM). Things work fine, but before committing to this change I'd like to find a simple way to compare the current ...

  1. Simplest way to measure video performance/acceleration?

    Hello,

    I just updated to X 4.4.0 in order to have video acceleration (the
    card is a Silicon Motion 3DM). Things work fine, but before committing
    to this change I'd like to find a simple way to compare the current
    performance with the one using Frame Buffer. So in short:

    Which is a simple way in which I could measure graphic performance,
    given:
    a) I'm running Embedded Linux, so a small application with minimal
    installation requirements would be preferred, and
    b) I'm interested on a decent performance for "regular" use (mostly
    browsing and playing some videos, no gaming)?

    Any help will be appreciated,

    Mariana

  2. Re: Simplest way to measure video performance/acceleration?

    Mariana L wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just updated to X 4.4.0 in order to have video acceleration (the
    > card is a Silicon Motion 3DM). Things work fine, but before committing
    > to this change I'd like to find a simple way to compare the current
    > performance with the one using Frame Buffer. So in short:
    >
    > Which is a simple way in which I could measure graphic performance,
    > given:
    > a) I'm running Embedded Linux, so a small application with minimal
    > installation requirements would be preferred, and
    > b) I'm interested on a decent performance for "regular" use (mostly
    > browsing and playing some videos, no gaming)?

    XFree86 comes with a small tool called glxgears which can be a simple
    preformance tester, remeber to test on the same resolution, or else you can't
    compare the results.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Simplest way to measure video performance/acceleration?

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:48:41 +0200, J.O. Aho staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Mariana L wrote:
    >> Things work fine, but before committing to this change I'd like to
    >> find a simple way to compare the current performance with the one
    >> using Frame Buffer. Which is a simple way in which I could measure
    >> graphic performance?

    > XFree86 comes with a small tool called glxgears which can be a simple
    > preformance tester

    glxgears tests how quickly your video system's OpenGL is working. This
    is not relevant to the things Mariana L. wants to benchmark. I think
    "x11perf" might be more useful, though a full run of x11perf may take a
    long time--an hour or so. Try "x11perf -all -repeat 1 -time 1 >
    test.txt" with both the VESA and accelerated X servers and see what you
    get. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!