Best way to clone hard drive - X

This is a discussion on Best way to clone hard drive - X ; I have a host with hot-swap hard drives. What is the best way to clone a hard drive? dd? parted? Partition Image? Skip...

  1. Best way to clone hard drive

    I have a host with hot-swap hard drives.

    What is the best way to clone a hard drive?

    dd?
    parted?
    Partition Image?

    Skip

  2. Re: Best way to clone hard drive

    In article ,
    Skip Coombe wrote:
    > I have a host with hot-swap hard drives.
    >
    > What is the best way to clone a hard drive?
    >
    > dd?
    > parted?
    > Partition Image?

    How many copies do you need to make?

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    ARIES: The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb

  3. Re: Best way to clone hard drive

    Here in comp.os.linux.x,
    Skip Coombe spake unto us, saying:

    >What is the best way to clone a hard drive?
    >
    >dd?
    >parted?
    >Partition Image?

    I like using PowerQuest's Drive Image myself (commercial DOS software),
    but that's because I already have a lot of experience using it. :-)

    I suspect any of the above will work if used correctly. Which one is
    "best" probably depends on several factors, including your own level of
    comfort with each of the above.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

  4. Re: Best way to clone hard drive

    Hactar wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Skip Coombe wrote:
    >
    >>I have a host with hot-swap hard drives.
    >>
    >>What is the best way to clone a hard drive?
    >>
    >>dd?
    >>parted?
    >>Partition Image?

    > How many copies do you need to make?

    I need to make 1 or 2 copies each of different drives at different
    times. I forgot to mentio that I would preferred to do the copy from a
    Knoppix or Rescue CD.

    I want to clone entire drive - boot record and all paritions, but the
    source drive will change, so the advantage of making i image and using
    it many times is diminished.

    Drives are 70GB, but only have 2-5 GB of actual data.

    I used "dd if=/dev/src of=/dev/target" and it took ~3 hrs.
    ""dd bs=1024K count=2000 if=/dev/src of=/dev/target" only took
    3-4 minutes and appeared to copy entrire drive, but image was corrupted
    (kernel panic).

    Skip

  5. Re: Best way to clone hard drive

    In article ,
    Skip Coombe wrote:
    > Hactar wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Skip Coombe wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have a host with hot-swap hard drives.
    > >>
    > >>What is the best way to clone a hard drive?
    > >>
    > >>dd?
    > >>parted?
    > >>Partition Image?

    > > How many copies do you need to make?
    > >

    > I need to make 1 or 2 copies each of different drives at different
    > times. I forgot to mentio that I would preferred to do the copy from a
    > Knoppix or Rescue CD.

    Good choice. It's better to have the filesystems quiescent when you copy.

    > I want to clone entire drive - boot record and all paritions, but the
    > source drive will change, so the advantage of making i image and using
    > it many times is diminished.

    Yeah, and for a small (like 2) number of copies, the time you spend futzing
    with the software may be greater than the time spent by making serial
    copies. For 1 copy, it's totally not worth it, as you can't go faster than
    the drive's raw speed.

    > Drives are 70GB, but only have 2-5 GB of actual data.

    tar/rsync/cpio/etc would be much faster than dd, but that wouldn't copy
    _everything_.

    > I used "dd if=/dev/src of=/dev/target" and it took ~3 hrs.

    It'll go much faster if they're on separate buses (e.g. hda & hdc). It
    takes ~1h to duplicate my 120 GB drive (really 115 GB) using dd bs=128K.
    Finding the optimal block size for dd made a 5% difference for me, although
    backup times are highly variable (dunno why). 5% of 3-4 hours is 9-12
    minutes. If your CPU use rises _a lot_ during the copy, maybe you're not
    using DMA on at least one drive.

    > "dd bs=1024K count=2000 if=/dev/src of=/dev/target" only took 3-4 minutes
    > and appeared to copy entrire drive, but image was corrupted (kernel panic).

    What are /dev/src and /dev/target?

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    GEMINI: Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive

  6. Re: Best way to clone hard drive

    Hactar wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Skip Coombe wrote:
    >
    >>Hactar wrote:

    >>>How many copies do you need to make?
    >>>

    >>I need to make 1 or 2 copies each of different drives at different
    >>times. I forgot to mentio that I would preferred to do the copy from a
    >>Knoppix or Rescue CD.

    > Good choice. It's better to have the filesystems quiescent when you copy.
    >

    >>I want to clone entire drive - boot record and all paritions, but the
    >>source drive will change, so the advantage of making i image and using
    >>it many times is diminished.

    > Yeah, and for a small (like 2) number of copies, the time you spend futzing
    > with the software may be greater than the time spent by making serial
    > copies. For 1 copy, it's totally not worth it, as you can't go faster than
    > the drive's raw speed.
    >

    >>Drives are 70GB, but only have 2-5 GB of actual data.

    > tar/rsync/cpio/etc would be much faster than dd, but that wouldn't copy
    > _everything_.
    >

    >>I used "dd if=/dev/src of=/dev/target" and it took ~3 hrs.

    > It'll go much faster if they're on separate buses (e.g. hda & hdc). It
    > takes ~1h to duplicate my 120 GB drive (really 115 GB) using dd bs=128K.
    > Finding the optimal block size for dd made a 5% difference for me, although
    > backup times are highly variable (dunno why). 5% of 3-4 hours is 9-12
    > minutes. If your CPU use rises _a lot_ during the copy, maybe you're not
    > using DMA on at least one drive.
    >

    >>"dd bs=1024K count=2000 if=/dev/src of=/dev/target" only took 3-4 minutes
    >>and appeared to copy entrire drive, but image was corrupted (kernel panic).

    > What are /dev/src and /dev/target?

    Thanks for the info Hactor.

    /dev/src = /dev/sda & /dev/tartget = /dev/sdb

    Skip

  7. Re: Best way to clone hard drive

    Skip Coombe wrote:

    > I have a host with hot-swap hard drives.
    >
    > What is the best way to clone a hard drive?
    >
    > dd?
    > parted?
    > Partition Image?
    >
    > Skip

    Like to read? Have a look at:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...k-Upgrade.html

    It's all you'll need and best of all... it's all free.

    --

    Registered Linux User Number 185956

+ Reply to Thread