X terminal fails - X

This is a discussion on X terminal fails - X ; Hi, My computer is a dual boot system running both Windows XP and Debian 3.0. I am running XFree86Version 4.3.0.1. My graphics card is a S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR Compaq. My monitor is a Hyundai ImageQuest v773. My mouse ...

  1. X terminal fails

    Hi,

    My computer is a dual boot system running both Windows XP and Debian 3.0. I
    am running XFree86Version 4.3.0.1. My graphics card is a S3 Graphics Pro
    Savage DDR Compaq. My monitor is a Hyundai ImageQuest v773. My mouse is an
    Optical Mouse with scroll (Microsoft).

    When logging in I experience an error message:
    "I cannot start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that
    it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to
    diagnose the problem"

    I googled this type of errors and upon typing "X -configure" in the command
    line the following error occured:

    (EE) Glide drivers:
    Could not load the shared library file for Glide:
    "libglide2x.so"
    (EE) Failed to load module "glide"

    I googled for glide drivers but was unable to find any useful information.

    When reading the log file I typed "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" and the following
    error messages were found:

    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/mouse
    No such file or directory.
    (EE) Mouse0: Cannot open input device
    (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse0"

    No core pointer
    Fatal server error:
    failed to intialize core devices

    I checked the config file by typing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and copied the
    following messages:

    config file:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "s3"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Generic Video Card"
    Monitor "V773"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection

    From the log file I suspect there is something wrong with the way I setup my
    mouse. I used psaux. However, I do not understand why X terminal fails. I
    would appreciate any advice or help.

    Thanks in advanced.

    My apologies for been such a newbie =)

  2. Re: X terminal fails

    Jonathan Ng wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My computer is a dual boot system running both Windows XP and Debian 3.0.

    Now, I'm not a debian user... so things can be different...

    > (EE) Glide drivers:
    > Could not load the shared library file for Glide:
    > "libglide2x.so"

    The libglide package should be on your debian CDs.

    //Aho

  3. Re: X terminal fails

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:26:46 +0200, J.O. Aho :
    > Jonathan Ng wrote:
    > >
    > > My computer is a dual boot system running both Windows XP and Debian 3.0.

    > Now, I'm not a debian user... so things can be different...
    >
    > > (EE) Glide drivers:
    > > Could not load the shared library file for Glide:
    > > "libglide2x.so"

    > The libglide package should be on your debian CDs.

    And the Debian solution is "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
    - - Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/spammers.html
    http://learn.to/quote http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

+ Reply to Thread