GLX broken...sort of - X

This is a discussion on GLX broken...sort of - X ; Hello, I recently recompiled my 2.4.18 (RedHat 8.0) kernel to include the atyfb support for my ATI Mach64VT card. The framebuffer device seems to be working fine as far as the display goes, however, dmesg occasionally reports "invalid vmode." Is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: GLX broken...sort of

  1. GLX broken...sort of

    Hello,
    I recently recompiled my 2.4.18 (RedHat 8.0) kernel to include the
    atyfb support for my ATI Mach64VT card. The framebuffer device seems
    to be working fine as far as the display goes, however, dmesg
    occasionally reports "invalid vmode." Is this a problem I should be
    worried about? If so, how do I fix it?

    Also - and this is the main question I hope to resolve because it is
    the most perplexing - before I started using the framebuffer device, I
    was using the "ati" XFree86 driver. Now, I have switched to the
    "fbdev" driver, and everything works fine except for Chromium.

    All of my other GLX programs work. I can play Tuxracer, I can run
    all of the GL screensavers in /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver...even the
    glxgears demo runs just fine. The only thing that complains is
    Chromium, and it returns the following error message:

    Couldn't set GL mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

    I have already checked around for possible solutions, but most of
    them deal with the NVidia drivers/cards and I have a 3Dfx Voodoo2. I
    have tried going back to the "ati" driver for X, but that did not
    help. So, apparently it has something to do with the fact that I'm
    using a framebuffer now when I wasn't before. When I was just using
    the standard console and kernel, Chromium worked just fine averaging
    ~49 fps.

    I can't see why Tuxracer and all the other GL stuff would still work
    while Chromium complains. Any ideas? Thanks!

    Matthew

  2. Re: GLX broken...sort of

    matthewc@netzero.net (Czouch) wrote in message news:<1dabbbd1.0407011200.4cbf2106@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello,
    > I recently recompiled my 2.4.18 (RedHat 8.0) kernel to include the
    > atyfb support for my ATI Mach64VT card. The framebuffer device seems
    > to be working fine as far as the display goes, however, dmesg
    > occasionally reports "invalid vmode." Is this a problem I should be
    > worried about? If so, how do I fix it?
    >
    > Also - and this is the main question I hope to resolve because it is
    > the most perplexing - before I started using the framebuffer device, I
    > was using the "ati" XFree86 driver. Now, I have switched to the
    > "fbdev" driver, and everything works fine except for Chromium.
    >
    > All of my other GLX programs work. I can play Tuxracer, I can run
    > all of the GL screensavers in /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver...even the
    > glxgears demo runs just fine. The only thing that complains is
    > Chromium, and it returns the following error message:
    >
    > Couldn't set GL mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
    >
    > I have already checked around for possible solutions, but most of
    > them deal with the NVidia drivers/cards and I have a 3Dfx Voodoo2. I
    > have tried going back to the "ati" driver for X, but that did not
    > help. So, apparently it has something to do with the fact that I'm
    > using a framebuffer now when I wasn't before. When I was just using
    > the standard console and kernel, Chromium worked just fine averaging
    > ~49 fps.
    >
    > I can't see why Tuxracer and all the other GL stuff would still work
    > while Chromium complains. Any ideas? Thanks!


    Okay, well, I ended up solving (or working around) both problems.

    I realized that, when I had switched back to the "ati" driver for
    XFree86, that I forgot to set the color depth back to 16. Under the
    "fbdev" driver it had to be set to 15, or else the colors would get
    all weird. When I changed the color depth back to 16, Chromium
    worked.

    So what I decided to do is just switch back to using the "ati" driver.
    (There was no noticeable difference in performance.) Then, I
    figured, if I'm not using the "fbdev" driver anymore, I don't need to
    have my text console set to 1024x768 resolution to get that resolution
    in X. So, I set the console mode to 800x600 and got rid of the
    "invalid vmode" error messages.

    Hope this helps some people!

    Matthew

+ Reply to Thread