Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI - X

This is a discussion on Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI - X ; Hi. I use an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI on an alpha PWS500au with Debian testing (sarge), which offers XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1. The kernel I use is 2.4.25. I try to replace the previous Voodoo 4500, but I'm quite disappointed. Since ...

  1. Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    Hi.

    I use an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI on an alpha PWS500au with Debian testing
    (sarge), which offers XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1. The kernel I use is 2.4.25.

    I try to replace the previous Voodoo 4500, but I'm quite
    disappointed. Since it seems that the old Voodoo 4500 is a bit faster
    as the a newer 9200. DRI is enabled, but glxgears only reports 235.200 FPS
    (Voodoo 300 FPS) and when I use xscreensaver menger the second
    iteration is down to 1FPS.

    Could someone please help me, since I believe that the Radeon should be
    much faster. I made the XFree86.0.log and XF86Config-4 available at
    http://home.bawue.de/~zirz/XFree86.0.log and
    http://home.bawue.de/~zirz/XF86Config-4

    Any help is appreciated.

    TIA

    Torsten

    --
    s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten Zirzlaff
    70190 Stuttgart

    | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined |
    | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
    | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies' |

  2. Re: Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:20:57 +0200,
    Torsten Zirzlaff , in

    >+ I try to replace the previous Voodoo 4500, but I'm quite
    >+ disappointed. Since it seems that the old Voodoo 4500 is a bit faster
    >+ as the a newer 9200. DRI is enabled, but glxgears only reports 235.200 FPS
    >+ (Voodoo 300 FPS) and when I use xscreensaver menger the second
    >+ iteration is down to 1FPS.

    What does 'glxinfo | grep OpenGL' tell you? I suspect that it says
    "Mesa" not "ATI". I've got a R9600 in a laptop, and that's the problem
    I run into. I've got the ATI drivers installed, but I've obviously
    got something else goofed up.

    But fixing that hasn't been a high priority.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > Torsten Zirzlaff , in
    >
    >>+ I try to replace the previous Voodoo 4500, but I'm quite
    >>+ disappointed. Since it seems that the old Voodoo 4500 is a bit faster
    >>+ as the a newer 9200. DRI is enabled, but glxgears only reports 235.200 FPS
    >>+ (Voodoo 300 FPS) and when I use xscreensaver menger the second
    >>+ iteration is down to 1FPS.

    > What does 'glxinfo | grep OpenGL' tell you? I suspect that it says
    > "Mesa" not "ATI". I've got a R9600 in a laptop, and that's the problem
    > I run into. I've got the ATI drivers installed, but I've obviously
    > got something else goofed up.

    I've got exactly the same piece of misery on the desktop with
    the ATI Radeon 9800. I've tried to use the ATI drivers, but
    something is messed up.

    Duke

  4. Re: Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > Torsten Zirzlaff , in
    >
    >>+ I try to replace the previous Voodoo 4500, but I'm quite
    >>+ disappointed. Since it seems that the old Voodoo 4500 is a bit faster
    >>+ as the a newer 9200. DRI is enabled, but glxgears only reports 235.200 FPS
    >>+ (Voodoo 300 FPS) and when I use xscreensaver menger the second
    >>+ iteration is down to 1FPS.

    > What does 'glxinfo | grep OpenGL' tell you? I suspect that it says
    > "Mesa" not "ATI". I've got a R9600 in a laptop, and that's the problem
    > I run into. I've got the ATI drivers installed, but I've obviously
    > got something else goofed up.

    I've got exactly the same piece of misery on the desktop with
    the ATI Radeon 9800. I've tried to use the ATI drivers, but
    something is messed up.

    Duke

  5. Re: Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    Hi.

    usenet@nttvr2x3.pbgfr.arg (I R A Darth Aggie) writes:

    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:20:57 +0200,
    > Torsten Zirzlaff , in

    [deletia]

    > What does 'glxinfo | grep OpenGL' tell you? I suspect that it says
    > "Mesa" not "ATI". I've got a R9600 in a laptop, and that's the problem
    > I run into. I've got the ATI drivers installed, but I've obviously
    > got something else goofed up.

    I could not get an ATI driver since there are no ATI drivers for me
    (wrong architecture) ATI provides only drivers for i386, I have an
    alpha (axp) architecture.

    I thought that DRM and DRI were enabled.

    tinuviel zirzlaff 36 (~):glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 20020827 AGP 1x TCL
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 4.0.4
    OpenGL extensions:

    or the complete output:
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.2
    server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
    client glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx version string: 1.2
    client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_NV_vertex_array_range, GLX_MESA_agp_offset
    GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
    OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 20020827 AGP 1x TCL
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 4.0.4
    OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,
    GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_convolution, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
    GL_EXT_histogram, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_polygon_offset,
    GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap,
    GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic,
    GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_vertex_array,
    GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture,
    GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_texture_rectangle,
    GL_SGI_color_matrix, GL_SGI_color_table
    glu version: 1.3
    glu extensions:
    GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

    visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
    id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
    0x23 24 tc 0 24 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x24 24 tc 0 24 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x25 24 tc 0 24 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x26 24 tc 0 24 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x27 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x28 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x29 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x2a 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x2b 24 dc 0 24 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x2c 24 dc 0 24 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x2d 24 dc 0 24 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x2e 24 dc 0 24 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x2f 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x30 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x31 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x32 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow

    From that output I assume that it is hardware enhanced. And 234 FPS
    is faster oposed to software rendering (35FPS).

    > But fixing that hasn't been a high priority.
    >
    > James

    Thanks for your help.

    Ciao

    Torsten

    --
    s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten Zirzlaff
    70190 Stuttgart
    Germany e-mail : zirzlaff@nienor.s.bawue.de
    phone: +49 711 285 19 40 torsten@zirzlaff.de
    mobil: +49 174 857 56 77
    data: +49 711 286 40 57/9

    | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined |
    | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
    | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies' |

  6. Re: Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    Den Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:17:26 -0400 skrev Duke Robillard:

    > I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    >> Torsten Zirzlaff , in
    >>
    >>>+ I try to replace the previous Voodoo 4500, but I'm quite
    >>>+ disappointed. Since it seems that the old Voodoo 4500 is a bit faster
    >>>+ as the a newer 9200. DRI is enabled, but glxgears only reports 235.200 FPS
    >>>+ (Voodoo 300 FPS) and when I use xscreensaver menger the second
    >>>+ iteration is down to 1FPS.

    >> What does 'glxinfo | grep OpenGL' tell you? I suspect that it says
    >> "Mesa" not "ATI". I've got a R9600 in a laptop, and that's the problem
    >> I run into. I've got the ATI drivers installed, but I've obviously
    >> got something else goofed up.

    > I've got exactly the same piece of misery on the desktop with
    > the ATI Radeon 9800. I've tried to use the ATI drivers, but
    > something is messed up.
    >
    > Duke

    Well just thought i should mention that i have the same identical problem
    as the rest of you. Any got a clue or a hint on what to do?

  7. Re: Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:22:03 GMT,
    Magnus Jonneryd , in
    wrote:
    >+ Den Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:17:26 -0400 skrev Duke Robillard:
    >+
    >+ > I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    >+ >> Torsten Zirzlaff , in
    >+ >>
    >+ >>>+ I try to replace the previous Voodoo 4500, but I'm quite
    >+ >>>+ disappointed. Since it seems that the old Voodoo 4500 is a bit faster
    >+ >>>+ as the a newer 9200. DRI is enabled, but glxgears only reports 235.200 FPS
    >+ >>>+ (Voodoo 300 FPS) and when I use xscreensaver menger the second
    >+ >>>+ iteration is down to 1FPS.
    >+ >>
    >+ >> What does 'glxinfo | grep OpenGL' tell you? I suspect that it says
    >+ >> "Mesa" not "ATI". I've got a R9600 in a laptop, and that's the problem
    >+ >> I run into. I've got the ATI drivers installed, but I've obviously
    >+ >> got something else goofed up.
    >+ >
    >+ > I've got exactly the same piece of misery on the desktop with
    >+ > the ATI Radeon 9800. I've tried to use the ATI drivers, but
    >+ > something is messed up.
    >+ >
    >+ > Duke
    >+
    >+ Well just thought i should mention that i have the same identical problem
    >+ as the rest of you. Any got a clue or a hint on what to do?

    At this point, no, I don't. I have some random stray thoughts, but
    they haven't coalesced into something useful.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  8. Re: Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    Den Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:27:37 +0000 skrev I R A Darth Aggie:

    > On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:22:03 GMT,
    >>+ Well just thought i should mention that i have the same identical problem
    >>+ as the rest of you. Any got a clue or a hint on what to do?

    > At this point, no, I don't. I have some random stray thoughts, but
    > they haven't coalesced into something useful.
    >
    > James

    I've started a thread on comp.os.linux.hardware->Radeon 9600 and Mandrake
    10.0, where i sum up most of my ramblings. I still havn't got any
    reply though which i find strange since this seems to be a problem that
    quite a few experience. Wonder if they just gave up and bought a nVidia
    card instead?

  9. Re: Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    Magnus Jonneryd wrote in message news:...
    [deletia]

    > I've started a thread on comp.os.linux.hardware->Radeon 9600 and Mandrake
    > 10.0, where i sum up most of my ramblings. I still havn't got any
    > reply though which i find strange since this seems to be a problem that
    > quite a few experience. Wonder if they just gave up and bought a nVidia
    > card instead?

    Nope, since nvidia is not an option for me (x86 centric those guys).

    Nevertheless some information I had gathered the recent days.

    If you buy a PCI version of a radeon card > 9100 you are surly buy a
    crippled card, since is quite common to limit the memory bus to 64-bit
    which is a serious perfomance hit and often turn your e.g. 9200 into a
    9200SE for which you had paid the full price.

    To my knowledge on the Visiontek Xtasy 9100 have a 128-bit bus even
    on PCI.

    You should also take into account that the e.g. 9100 is much more
    performant as the 9200 or 9000.

    One weird aspect is that the PCI bus is performs poorly on the
    radeon side, but nobody knows why.

    As for supported chips under Linux you could only have hardware 3d
    acceleration up to the 9200 (rv280) chips. Other chips which are based
    on the r300 and better are only supported with 2d hardware
    acceleration.

    There are projects which try to solve this need, this may take quite
    a while.

    The drivers from ATI seem only to work of cause if you have a x86
    based system and with XFree86 4.3.x. Higher versions seem not to be
    supported. Alas the 2d performance of those drivers seem not to be
    very good in comparision to the DRI/XFree86/XOrg ones (some had called
    them sluggish, but I have no comparision for myself.)

    Currently I have the hunch, that if you are running a x86 based
    system you are better of with the nvida hardware. If you are not on a
    x86 based system the ati -cards are much better. Alas 3d hardware
    acceleration is only supportd up to the r200 based cards, which
    sometimes come back as mobility versions.

    For further information I warmly recommend the documentation on
    dri.sourceforge.net

    Ciao

    Torsten

  10. Re: Performance problems with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI

    Den Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:45:37 -0700 skrev Torsten Zirzlaff:
    > As for supported chips under Linux you could only have hardware 3d
    > acceleration up to the 9200 (rv280) chips. Other chips which are based
    > on the r300 and better are only supported with 2d hardware
    > acceleration.
    >
    > There are projects which try to solve this need, this may take quite
    > a while.
    >
    > For further information I warmly recommend the documentation on
    > dri.sourceforge.net
    >
    > Ciao
    >
    > Torsten

    So basically i just have to wait. Well tnx for the info.

    Magnus

+ Reply to Thread