switching consoles - X

This is a discussion on switching consoles - X ; Hi, I can use ctl-alt-f2 to open a second text console leaving X running on console 1. When I use ctl-alt-f1 to return to console 1 I do not not return to the x-server, but to a text console with ...

  1. switching consoles

    Hi,

    I can use ctl-alt-f2 to open a second text console leaving X running on
    console 1. When I use ctl-alt-f1 to return to console 1 I do not not
    return to the x-server, but to a text console with stdout from the
    x-server. X is still running since I can put startx into the background
    and browse the jobs, but I don't know how to reenter X as it was.

    I've set my machine (running Debian 3.0 GNU/Linux) to boot into text
    mode. Could this be the problem?

    Does anyone have experience with this type of problem?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Scott

  2. Re: switching consoles

    Scott Beckman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I can use ctl-alt-f2 to open a second text console leaving X running on
    > console 1. When I use ctl-alt-f1 to return to console 1 I do not not
    > return to the x-server, but to a text console with stdout from the
    > x-server. X is still running since I can put startx into the background
    > and browse the jobs, but I don't know how to reenter X as it was.

    Usually X is running on VT7, so try ctrl-alt-f7

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread