Re: Can't install Nvidia driver in Suse 9.1 - X

This is a discussion on Re: Can't install Nvidia driver in Suse 9.1 - X ; Okay...I tried the --add-this-kernel suggestion and got this: ERROR: The kernel header file 'usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h' does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel header files in '/usr/src/linux/include' have not been configured. Lovely. What on earth does ...

  1. Re: Can't install Nvidia driver in Suse 9.1

    Okay...I tried the --add-this-kernel suggestion and got this:

    ERROR: The kernel header file 'usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h'
    does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel header
    files in '/usr/src/linux/include' have not been configured.

    Lovely. What on earth does this mean?

    Thanks.

    "Jack Strangio" wrote in message
    > "Hiawatha Bray" writes:
    > > I ran the command to install it, and got the following message:
    > >
    > > Has anybody done this before? Do I have to recompile my kernel, or just

    add
    > > some header files? Which header files and where do I find them?

    Anybody?
    > > Help!

    > Assuming you have the header files installed( they should normally be)

    run:

    > ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel
    >
    > It appears to be an undocumented option. It will produce an custom

    installer
    > for the kernel version you are using. Run the custome installer. Done.
    >
    > Jack
    >

    > --
    > First, they fear you. Then they match you. Then they laugh at you.
    > Then they ignore you. Then you lose.

  2. Re: Can't install Nvidia driver in Suse 9.1

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > Okay...I tried the --add-this-kernel suggestion and got this:
    >
    > ERROR: The kernel header file 'usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h'
    > does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel header
    > files in '/usr/src/linux/include' have not been configured.
    >
    > Lovely. What on earth does this mean?

    Do you have the kernel headers installed?

    I'm not familiar with Suse but check for one of these packages.

    glibc-headers
    kernel-headers

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

  3. Re: Can't install Nvidia driver in Suse 9.1

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:

    > Okay...I tried the --add-this-kernel suggestion and got this:
    >
    > ERROR: The kernel header file
    > 'usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h'
    > does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel
    > header files in '/usr/src/linux/include' have not been configured.
    >
    > Lovely. What on earth does this mean?

    Configure the kernel with :
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make cloneconfig
    make prepare

  4. Re: Can't install Nvidia driver in Suse 9.1

    David wrote:

    > Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    >> Okay...I tried the --add-this-kernel suggestion and got this:
    >>
    >> ERROR: The kernel header file
    >> 'usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h'
    >> does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel
    >> header files in '/usr/src/linux/include' have not been configured.
    >>
    >> Lovely. What on earth does this mean?

    > Do you have the kernel headers installed?
    >
    > I'm not familiar with Suse but check for one of these packages.
    >
    > glibc-headers
    > kernel-headers

    I see no such packages. Anything else I can try? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread