sharing printers and files on a wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on sharing printers and files on a wireless network - Wireless ; This is more a statement than a question. This is such an important topic. Virtually none of these suggestions offered through various threads, suggestions and fixes so far encountered helps me to network four computers on a wireless network at ...

  1. sharing printers and files on a wireless network

    This is more a statement than a question. This is such
    an important topic.

    Virtually none of these suggestions offered through
    various threads, suggestions and fixes so far
    encountered helps me to network four computers on a
    wireless network at home. I am using a WRVS4400N VPN
    Linksys router. This is one of the very new N series
    routers.

    As I always say, most networking problems are *very*
    simple and elegant. It just takes enormous time and
    effort finding the simple switch.

    The answer for me, and probably for so many others, is
    a simple switch. In the WRVS4400N VPN router there is
    a simple switch called
    Wireless Isolation(within SSID) located in the
    "wireless" "security" tab. All I needed to do was
    disable this one switch. Suddenly, after two weeks of
    pain all computers are visible to each other and I am
    able to share printers and files amongst the four
    computers on this home wireless network. That was it.

    As a side issue I am still having trouble with the
    master browser that seems to float from computer to
    computer. This is a separate issue that never seems to
    have a definitive solution. So the command NET VIEW
    still does not produce a consistent results. But I am
    able to share all printers and all files on all
    computers. If you think about it, it's very simple.
    That is the point of this wireless isolation. But the
    documentation is absolutely worthless (pitiful) and
    gives no clue as to the critical importance of the
    switch.

    Again, I know this will probably be hidden in time and
    subordinated to the original question. But someone
    will find this a value.

    phil

  2. Re: sharing printers and files on a wireless network

    "Phil" wrote in message
    > This is more a statement than a question. This is such an important topic.
    >
    > Virtually none of these suggestions offered through various threads,
    > suggestions and fixes so far encountered helps me to network four
    > computers on a wireless network at home. I am using a WRVS4400N VPN
    > Linksys router. This is one of the very new N series routers.
    >
    > As I always say, most networking problems are *very* simple and elegant.
    > It just takes enormous time and effort finding the simple switch.
    >
    > The answer for me, and probably for so many others, is a simple switch.
    > In the WRVS4400N VPN router there is a simple switch called
    > Wireless Isolation(within SSID) located in the "wireless" "security" tab.
    > All I needed to do was disable this one switch. Suddenly, after two weeks
    > of pain all computers are visible to each other and I am able to share
    > printers and files amongst the four computers on this home wireless
    > network. That was it.
    >
    > As a side issue I am still having trouble with the master browser that
    > seems to float from computer to computer. This is a separate issue that
    > never seems to have a definitive solution. So the command NET VIEW still
    > does not produce a consistent results. But I am able to share all
    > printers and all files on all computers. If you think about it, it's very
    > simple. That is the point of this wireless isolation. But the
    > documentation is absolutely worthless (pitiful) and gives no clue as to
    > the critical importance of the switch.
    >
    > Again, I know this will probably be hidden in time and subordinated to the
    > original question. But someone will find this a value.
    >
    > phil

    Isn't that 'switch' common to wireless routers but under different names?
    On my wireless router it is simply called 'Wireless enable/disable'. I
    suppose the 'out of box' setting of the switch may vary from manufacturer to
    manufacturer.

  3. Re: sharing printers and files on a wireless network

    "Edward W. Thompson" wrote
    in message

    > "Phil" wrote in message
    >> This is more a statement than a question. This is
    >> such an important topic.
    >>
    >> Virtually none of these suggestions offered through
    >> various threads, suggestions and fixes so far
    >> encountered helps me to network four computers on a
    >> wireless network at home. I am using a WRVS4400N
    >> VPN Linksys router. This is one of the very new N
    >> series routers.
    >>
    >> As I always say, most networking problems are *very*
    >> simple and elegant. It just takes enormous time and
    >> effort finding the simple switch.
    >>
    >> The answer for me, and probably for so many others,
    >> is a simple switch. In the WRVS4400N VPN router
    >> there is a simple switch called
    >> Wireless Isolation(within SSID) located in the
    >> "wireless" "security" tab. All I needed to do was
    >> disable this one switch. Suddenly, after two weeks
    >> of pain all computers are visible to each other and
    >> I am able to share printers and files amongst the
    >> four computers on this home wireless network. That
    >> was it.
    >>
    >> As a side issue I am still having trouble with the
    >> master browser that seems to float from computer to
    >> computer. This is a separate issue that never seems
    >> to have a definitive solution. So the command NET
    >> VIEW still does not produce a consistent results.
    >> But I am able to share all printers and all files on
    >> all computers. If you think about it, it's very
    >> simple. That is the point of this wireless
    >> isolation. But the documentation is absolutely
    >> worthless (pitiful) and gives no clue as to the
    >> critical importance of the switch.
    >>
    >> Again, I know this will probably be hidden in time
    >> and subordinated to the original question. But
    >> someone will find this a value.
    >>
    >> phil

    > Isn't that 'switch' common to wireless routers but
    > under different names? On my wireless router it is
    > simply called 'Wireless enable/disable'. I suppose
    > the 'out of box' setting of the switch may vary from
    > manufacturer to manufacturer.

    Every router that I have used it has slightly different
    conventions, probably to confuse us :-) This is an
    extremely important switch. I am not certain that the
    Wireless Isolation (within SSID) is the same as
    'Wireless enable/disable." It is possible. It is
    also possible that on some routers the default
    convention is opposite to the WRVS4400N VPN router. I
    suppose the reason this switch was enabled by default
    was for reasons of security. But within your own
    subnet LAN this security issue becomes a hindrance and
    possibly a source of great pain. I still think there
    are way too many "security" switches in all networking
    conventions.

    Phil

  4. Re: sharing printers and files on a wireless network

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:41:50 -0700, "Phil" wrote:

    >"Edward W. Thompson" wrote
    >in message
    >>
    >> "Phil" wrote in message
    >>> This is more a statement than a question. This is
    >>> such an important topic.
    >>>
    >>> Virtually none of these suggestions offered through
    >>> various threads, suggestions and fixes so far
    >>> encountered helps me to network four computers on a
    >>> wireless network at home. I am using a WRVS4400N
    >>> VPN Linksys router. This is one of the very new N
    >>> series routers.
    >>>
    >>> As I always say, most networking problems are *very*
    >>> simple and elegant. It just takes enormous time and
    >>> effort finding the simple switch.
    >>>
    >>> The answer for me, and probably for so many others,
    >>> is a simple switch. In the WRVS4400N VPN router
    >>> there is a simple switch called
    >>> Wireless Isolation(within SSID) located in the
    >>> "wireless" "security" tab. All I needed to do was
    >>> disable this one switch. Suddenly, after two weeks
    >>> of pain all computers are visible to each other and
    >>> I am able to share printers and files amongst the
    >>> four computers on this home wireless network. That
    >>> was it.
    >>>
    >>> As a side issue I am still having trouble with the
    >>> master browser that seems to float from computer to
    >>> computer. This is a separate issue that never seems
    >>> to have a definitive solution. So the command NET
    >>> VIEW still does not produce a consistent results.
    >>> But I am able to share all printers and all files on
    >>> all computers. If you think about it, it's very
    >>> simple. That is the point of this wireless
    >>> isolation. But the documentation is absolutely
    >>> worthless (pitiful) and gives no clue as to the
    >>> critical importance of the switch.
    >>>
    >>> Again, I know this will probably be hidden in time
    >>> and subordinated to the original question. But
    >>> someone will find this a value.
    >>>
    >>> phil

    >> Isn't that 'switch' common to wireless routers but
    >> under different names? On my wireless router it is
    >> simply called 'Wireless enable/disable'. I suppose
    >> the 'out of box' setting of the switch may vary from
    >> manufacturer to manufacturer.

    >Every router that I have used it has slightly different
    >conventions, probably to confuse us :-) This is an
    >extremely important switch. I am not certain that the
    >Wireless Isolation (within SSID) is the same as
    >'Wireless enable/disable." It is possible. It is
    >also possible that on some routers the default
    >convention is opposite to the WRVS4400N VPN router. I
    >suppose the reason this switch was enabled by default
    >was for reasons of security. But within your own
    >subnet LAN this security issue becomes a hindrance and
    >possibly a source of great pain. I still think there
    >are way too many "security" switches in all networking
    >conventions.
    >
    >Phil

    Phil,

    The "Wireless enable/disable" switch, most likely, turns the radio on and off.
    The "Wireless Isolation" switch turns the firewall between the switch ports (and
    WiFi clients) on and off. Both switch labels do indeed vary, by vendor. They
    are two separate functions though.

    I wrote about "Wireless Isolation" aka "Isolation Mode", and a few other titles,
    several months ago. I think that this episode should emphasise the importance
    of reading the manual that comes with the router.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: sharing printers and files on a wireless network

    Phil wrote:
    > "Edward W. Thompson" wrote
    > in message
    >> "Phil" wrote in message
    >>> This is more a statement than a question. This is
    >>> such an important topic.
    >>>
    >>> Virtually none of these suggestions offered through
    >>> various threads, suggestions and fixes so far
    >>> encountered helps me to network four computers on a
    >>> wireless network at home. I am using a WRVS4400N
    >>> VPN Linksys router. This is one of the very new N
    >>> series routers.
    >>>
    >>> As I always say, most networking problems are *very*
    >>> simple and elegant. It just takes enormous time and
    >>> effort finding the simple switch.
    >>>
    >>> The answer for me, and probably for so many others,
    >>> is a simple switch. In the WRVS4400N VPN router
    >>> there is a simple switch called
    >>> Wireless Isolation(within SSID) located in the
    >>> "wireless" "security" tab. All I needed to do was
    >>> disable this one switch. Suddenly, after two weeks
    >>> of pain all computers are visible to each other and
    >>> I am able to share printers and files amongst the
    >>> four computers on this home wireless network. That
    >>> was it.
    >>>
    >>> As a side issue I am still having trouble with the
    >>> master browser that seems to float from computer to
    >>> computer. This is a separate issue that never seems
    >>> to have a definitive solution. So the command NET
    >>> VIEW still does not produce a consistent results.
    >>> But I am able to share all printers and all files on
    >>> all computers. If you think about it, it's very
    >>> simple. That is the point of this wireless
    >>> isolation. But the documentation is absolutely
    >>> worthless (pitiful) and gives no clue as to the
    >>> critical importance of the switch.
    >>>
    >>> Again, I know this will probably be hidden in time
    >>> and subordinated to the original question. But
    >>> someone will find this a value.
    >>>
    >>> phil

    >> Isn't that 'switch' common to wireless routers but
    >> under different names? On my wireless router it is
    >> simply called 'Wireless enable/disable'. I suppose
    >> the 'out of box' setting of the switch may vary from
    >> manufacturer to manufacturer.

    > Every router that I have used it has slightly different
    > conventions, probably to confuse us :-) This is an
    > extremely important switch. I am not certain that the
    > Wireless Isolation (within SSID) is the same as
    > 'Wireless enable/disable." It is possible. It is
    > also possible that on some routers the default
    > convention is opposite to the WRVS4400N VPN router. I
    > suppose the reason this switch was enabled by default
    > was for reasons of security. But within your own
    > subnet LAN this security issue becomes a hindrance and
    > possibly a source of great pain. I still think there
    > are way too many "security" switches in all networking
    > conventions.
    >
    > Phil

    Actually, the default for the "Isolation" setting on the Linksys
    WRVS4400N is "disabled".

    From the User Guide:
    "Wireless Isolation (within SSID). When disabled, wireless PCs that are
    associated to the same network name (SSID), can see and transfer files
    between each other. By enabling this feature, Wireless PCs will not be
    able to see each other. This feature is very useful when setting up a
    wireless hotspot location. The default is Disabled."

    This feature, as the manual states, is primarily useful in a BUSINESS
    setting, such as setting up a wireless hotspot, where the users DO NOT
    want their computers to be mutually accessible.

    Unlike entry-level equipment intended for individual or Small
    Office-Home Office (SOHO) use, business-grade equipment (Linksys
    characterizes this "Security Router with VPN" as providing "Secure,
    high-speed wireless networking for growing businesses" may require more
    than entry-level expertise to configure -- or at least a more careful
    reading of the manual.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking