ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC card wireless adapter - Wireless

This is a discussion on ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC card wireless adapter - Wireless ; ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the same except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot. How much faster will ...

  1. ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC card wireless adapter

    ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter

    I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the same
    except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot.

    How much faster will an ExpressCard notebook adapter versus a standard PC
    card adapter. Both adapters are made for the Dlink Extreme N router. Does
    anyone know about these two specific adapters and their speed? If not, in
    general, how much faster should the ExpressCard be? I will be using the
    router to share an internet connection. From the prodcut description; "the
    ExpressCard interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better
    reliability than the legacy CardBus** interface.** Maximum throughput derived
    from CardBus and ExpressCard™" specifications. Below is a link to both cards.

    »www.dlink.com/products/?pid=532&sec=1

    »www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550&sec=1

    I am also considering using the adapter that comes with the laptop. It is a
    standard 802.11 g/b card. Does anyone know how the Extreme N router (DIR-655)
    might work with this adapter?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC card wireless adapter

    Hi
    Right now there is a very small selection of Wireless (or other devices)
    Express cards, so it is toss up, good for the future, rather useless now.
    A draft N Router would not provide better Wireless with a 802.11g card.
    This is currently one of the best 802.11g Wireless Router.
    http://www.ezlan.net/buffalo.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "kevinla" wrote in message
    > ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter
    >
    > I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the
    > same
    > except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot.
    >
    > How much faster will an ExpressCard notebook adapter versus a standard PC
    > card adapter. Both adapters are made for the Dlink Extreme N router. Does
    > anyone know about these two specific adapters and their speed? If not, in
    > general, how much faster should the ExpressCard be? I will be using the
    > router to share an internet connection. From the prodcut description; "the
    > ExpressCard interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better
    > reliability than the legacy CardBus** interface.** Maximum throughput
    > derived
    > from CardBus and ExpressCardT" specifications. Below is a link to both
    > cards.
    >
    > www.dlink.com/products/?pid=532&sec=1
    >
    > www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550&sec=1
    >
    > I am also considering using the adapter that comes with the laptop. It is
    > standard 802.11 g/b card. Does anyone know how the Extreme N router
    > (DIR-655)
    > might work with this adapter?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC card wireless adapter

    I have the DIR-655 and it is great. It will work with legacy g and b
    in mixed mode just fine.

    I have a D-Link draft 2.0N express card in an HP TX1000 and their
    pccard that I've used in various notebooks. Wireless performance is
    pretty much the same between ExpressCard and PCCard. Wireless
    performance won't really be impacted by the differences in the
    speeds you mention below.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC card wireless adapter

    Great information. Thanks.

    Did you try using the router with the 802.11 g/b adapter (network card) that
    came with the laptops? If so, how was the wireless performance compared to
    the D-link Draft 2.0 cards?

    Kevin

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > I have the DIR-655 and it is great. It will work with legacy g and b
    > in mixed mode just fine.
    >
    > I have a D-Link draft 2.0N express card in an HP TX1000 and their
    > pccard that I've used in various notebooks. Wireless performance is
    > pretty much the same between ExpressCard and PCCard. Wireless
    > performance won't really be impacted by the differences in the
    > speeds you mention below.
    >
    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:46:23 -0700, kevinla
    > wrote:
    >
    > >ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter
    > >
    > >I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the same
    > >except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot.
    > >
    > >How much faster will an ExpressCard notebook adapter versus a standard PC
    > >card adapter. Both adapters are made for the Dlink Extreme N router. Does
    > >anyone know about these two specific adapters and their speed? If not, in
    > >general, how much faster should the ExpressCard be? I will be using the
    > >router to share an internet connection. From the prodcut description; "the
    > >ExpressCard interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better
    > >reliability than the legacy CardBus** interface.** Maximum throughput derived
    > >from CardBus and ExpressCard™" specifications. Below is a link to both cards.
    > >
    > >»www.dlink.com/products/?pid=532&sec=1
    > >
    > >»www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550&sec=1
    > >
    > >I am also considering using the adapter that comes with the laptop. It is a
    > >standard 802.11 g/b card. Does anyone know how the Extreme N router (DIR-655)
    > >might work with this adapter?
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    > >

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC card wireless adapter

    those b/g built in NICs/cards are connecting at "G" speeds just
    fine. obviously N is much better. for browsing the web and reading
    email, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference, though.

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:28:01 -0700, kevinla
    wrote:

    >Great information. Thanks.
    >
    >Did you try using the router with the 802.11 g/b adapter (network card) that
    >came with the laptops? If so, how was the wireless performance compared to
    >the D-link Draft 2.0 cards?
    >
    >Kevin
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> I have the DIR-655 and it is great. It will work with legacy g and b
    >> in mixed mode just fine.
    >>
    >> I have a D-Link draft 2.0N express card in an HP TX1000 and their
    >> pccard that I've used in various notebooks. Wireless performance is
    >> pretty much the same between ExpressCard and PCCard. Wireless
    >> performance won't really be impacted by the differences in the
    >> speeds you mention below.
    >>
    >> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:46:23 -0700, kevinla
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter
    >> >
    >> >I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the same
    >> >except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot.
    >> >
    >> >How much faster will an ExpressCard notebook adapter versus a standard PC
    >> >card adapter. Both adapters are made for the Dlink Extreme N router. Does
    >> >anyone know about these two specific adapters and their speed? If not, in
    >> >general, how much faster should the ExpressCard be? I will be using the
    >> >router to share an internet connection. From the prodcut description; "the
    >> >ExpressCard interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better
    >> >reliability than the legacy CardBus** interface.** Maximum throughput derived
    >> >from CardBus and ExpressCard" specifications. Below is a link to both cards.
    >> >
    >> >www.dlink.com/products/?pid=532&sec=1
    >> >
    >> >www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550&sec=1
    >> >
    >> >I am also considering using the adapter that comes with the laptop. It is a
    >> >standard 802.11 g/b card. Does anyone know how the Extreme N router (DIR-655)
    >> >might work with this adapter?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks!
    >> >

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman