Vista can't connect to internet through XP in ad hoc network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Vista can't connect to internet through XP in ad hoc network - Wireless ; I know there are alike threads but they have no explanation to my question. I have 2 laptops Toshiba Satellite: one with WinXP SP2 Eng with all recent patches installed and the other with Vista Home Basic, both OS were ...

  1. Vista can't connect to internet through XP in ad hoc network

    I know there are alike threads but they have no explanation to my question.
    I have 2 laptops Toshiba Satellite: one with WinXP SP2 Eng with all recent
    patches installed and the other with Vista Home Basic, both OS were legally
    purchased. A laptop with XP has ADSL Ethernet connection to internet and
    serves as master in ad hoc wireless network. A laptop with Vista (slave) sees
    shares, can connect to the one with XP and copy files. A laptop running XP
    can't see shares on the one with Vista though, but I don't need it anyway. I
    did everything as described in
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...b/AdHocICS.doc
    checked and rechecked everything again and installed
    WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe but *I still can't make laptop running
    Vista to connect to the internet through ad hoc connection*.
    What can be done in this situation? Should I make a laptop with Vista a
    master in my network? I would appreciate your help.

  2. Re: Vista can't connect to internet through XP in ad hoc network

    Hi
    To share the Internet you need a software Router too.
    Instructions here, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    As far as File sharing goes.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

    In general Ad-Hoc configuration is Not safe (it usually allows only WEP
    encryption), and rather "Quirky".
    It is much better getting a Wireless Cable/DSL Router configuring a regular
    Infrastructure Wireless network.
    Like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Kowarisuki" wrote in message
    >I know there are alike threads but they have no explanation to my question.
    > I have 2 laptops Toshiba Satellite: one with WinXP SP2 Eng with all recent
    > patches installed and the other with Vista Home Basic, both OS were
    > legally
    > purchased. A laptop with XP has ADSL Ethernet connection to internet and
    > serves as master in ad hoc wireless network. A laptop with Vista (slave)
    > sees
    > shares, can connect to the one with XP and copy files. A laptop running XP
    > can't see shares on the one with Vista though, but I don't need it anyway.
    > did everything as described in
    > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...b/AdHocICS.doc
    > checked and rechecked everything again and installed
    > WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe but *I still can't make laptop running
    > Vista to connect to the internet through ad hoc connection*.
    > What can be done in this situation? Should I make a laptop with Vista a
    > master in my network? I would appreciate your help.

+ Reply to Thread