Use WEP device on WPA-PSK - Wireless

This is a discussion on Use WEP device on WPA-PSK - Wireless ; Hi everyone, I have 2 desktop XP computers that are connected to my router and use WPA-PSK encryption. I also have 2 laptop computers that I just acquired and need to connect them to the same router but they only ...

  1. Use WEP device on WPA-PSK

    Hi everyone, I have 2 desktop XP computers that are connected to my router
    and use WPA-PSK encryption. I also have 2 laptop computers that I just
    acquired and need to connect them to the same router but they only have
    wireless USB devices that support WEP... Can I get around this atall and
    still connect them to the router or will I have to change the encryption to
    WEP from WPA-PSK?.. or buy new USB sticks that support WPA-PSK? I was hoping
    that i could connect them but they will not be using WPA-PSK ?? I dont know!!
    Can anyone help? sorry if this sounds complicated. Thanks, Matt320

  2. Re: Use WEP device on WPA-PSK

    Nope, you can't. And be aware that WEP these days is easily broken
    and not safe.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP