I cant seem to set up my wirless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on I cant seem to set up my wirless network - Wireless ; I have just had to have my hard drive replaced and want to reestablish my home network so I can print from a Mac Laptop downstairs-but I dont seem to be be able to have any icons that suggets that ...

  1. I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    I have just had to have my hard drive replaced and want to reestablish my
    home network so I can print from a Mac Laptop downstairs-but I dont seem to
    be be able to have any icons that suggets that setting up a network exists.
    Teh wizard never seems to apply to the set up I have so does anyone have any
    suggestions, step pby step to set up this home network-without the wizard if
    not too complicated, failing this with the wizard. My pc connects to a
    wireless hub-black box with aerail and flashing green lights.

    James

  2. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    We had a similar discuss a few day ago. This post may help,

    the laptop doesn't have a signal or icon
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1580

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "JP" wrote in message news:C7AD2EDD-9A88-4047-A02A-C65643B5B0CA@microsoft.com...
    I have just had to have my hard drive replaced and want to reestablish my
    home network so I can print from a Mac Laptop downstairs-but I dont seem to
    be be able to have any icons that suggets that setting up a network exists.
    Teh wizard never seems to apply to the set up I have so does anyone have any
    suggestions, step pby step to set up this home network-without the wizard if
    not too complicated, failing this with the wizard. My pc connects to a
    wireless hub-black box with aerail and flashing green lights.

    James

  3. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Cheers

    "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

    > We had a similar discuss a few day ago. This post may help,
    >
    > the laptop doesn't have a signal or icon
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1580
    >
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > "JP" wrote in message news:C7AD2EDD-9A88-4047-A02A-C65643B5B0CA@microsoft.com...
    > I have just had to have my hard drive replaced and want to reestablish my
    > home network so I can print from a Mac Laptop downstairs-but I dont seem to
    > be be able to have any icons that suggets that setting up a network exists.
    > Teh wizard never seems to apply to the set up I have so does anyone have any
    > suggestions, step pby step to set up this home network-without the wizard if
    > not too complicated, failing this with the wizard. My pc connects to a
    > wireless hub-black box with aerail and flashing green lights.
    >
    > James

  4. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Dear Robert,

    Still having problems-made sure I enable Mac for windows sharing-made sure
    PC folder was enabled for file sharing. Identified PC's IP address asked Mac
    to connect to that address-no joy. Turned off windows firewall and tried
    again-no difference. Computers cant see each other any ideas?

    "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

    > We had a similar discuss a few day ago. This post may help,
    >
    > the laptop doesn't have a signal or icon
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1580
    >
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > "JP" wrote in message news:C7AD2EDD-9A88-4047-A02A-C65643B5B0CA@microsoft.com...
    > I have just had to have my hard drive replaced and want to reestablish my
    > home network so I can print from a Mac Laptop downstairs-but I dont seem to
    > be be able to have any icons that suggets that setting up a network exists.
    > Teh wizard never seems to apply to the set up I have so does anyone have any
    > suggestions, step pby step to set up this home network-without the wizard if
    > not too complicated, failing this with the wizard. My pc connects to a
    > wireless hub-black box with aerail and flashing green lights.
    >
    > James

  5. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Assuming you want to share between Windows and Mac, this how to may help.

    How to share between Windows and MacWith a Mac running OS X and a PC running Windows 2000/XP, you can easily share files between the Mac and PC. You can connect the Mac and PC using Ethernet ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/mac/filesharing1.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "JP" wrote in message news:0B6BBEEA-7719-475D-A686-7F365371B640@microsoft.com...
    Dear Robert,

    Still having problems-made sure I enable Mac for windows sharing-made sure
    PC folder was enabled for file sharing. Identified PC's IP address asked Mac
    to connect to that address-no joy. Turned off windows firewall and tried
    again-no difference. Computers cant see each other any ideas?

    "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

    > We had a similar discuss a few day ago. This post may help,
    >
    > the laptop doesn't have a signal or icon
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1580
    >
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > "JP" wrote in message news:C7AD2EDD-9A88-4047-A02A-C65643B5B0CA@microsoft.com...
    > I have just had to have my hard drive replaced and want to reestablish my
    > home network so I can print from a Mac Laptop downstairs-but I dont seem to
    > be be able to have any icons that suggets that setting up a network exists.
    > Teh wizard never seems to apply to the set up I have so does anyone have any
    > suggestions, step pby step to set up this home network-without the wizard if
    > not too complicated, failing this with the wizard. My pc connects to a
    > wireless hub-black box with aerail and flashing green lights.
    >
    > James

  6. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Robert,

    I keep setting up a network called MS Home through wizard but neither
    computer sees each other-PC Desktop cant see Mac laptop and vice versa. Tried
    with PC laptop XP as well, they cant see each other either, I know it can
    work because before my hard drove went pop an dhad to be replaced, I could
    share files and printer with ease. At my witts end here.

    Tried connencting directly to Computers IP from Mac laptop-no joy. Have
    checked windows sahring on on mac and that shared documents sharing switched
    on. Tried turning off Norton firewall yessteardy and Windows firewall
    tody-still no connection. If only there wa s aprogram you can buy-wormhole
    didnt work-kept crashing.

    Any further assistance would be appreciated.

    James

    James

    "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

    > Assuming you want to share between Windows and Mac, this how to may help.
    >
    > How to share between Windows and MacWith a Mac running OS X and a PC running Windows 2000/XP, you can easily share files between the Mac and PC. You can connect the Mac and PC using Ethernet ...
    > www.howtonetworking.com/mac/filesharing1.htm
    >

    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > "JP" wrote in message news:0B6BBEEA-7719-475D-A686-7F365371B640@microsoft.com...
    > Dear Robert,
    >
    > Still having problems-made sure I enable Mac for windows sharing-made sure
    > PC folder was enabled for file sharing. Identified PC's IP address asked Mac
    > to connect to that address-no joy. Turned off windows firewall and tried
    > again-no difference. Computers cant see each other any ideas?
    >
    > "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
    >
    > > We had a similar discuss a few day ago. This post may help,
    > >
    > > the laptop doesn't have a signal or icon
    > > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1580
    > >
    > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > > "JP" wrote in message news:C7AD2EDD-9A88-4047-A02A-C65643B5B0CA@microsoft.com...
    > > I have just had to have my hard drive replaced and want to reestablish my
    > > home network so I can print from a Mac Laptop downstairs-but I dont seem to
    > > be be able to have any icons that suggets that setting up a network exists.
    > > Teh wizard never seems to apply to the set up I have so does anyone have any
    > > suggestions, step pby step to set up this home network-without the wizard if
    > > not too complicated, failing this with the wizard. My pc connects to a
    > > wireless hub-black box with aerail and flashing green lights.
    > >
    > > James

  7. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Ethernet
    adapter Local area connection:

    Media State...Media disconnected
    Etherent adpater Wirless Network Connection:
    Connection specific DNS Suffix-Myhome.westell.com
    IP address...192.168.1.47
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway...192.168.1.1

    Thanks for your time

    James

> [...]

    > > > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1580
    > > >
    > > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > > > "JP" wrote in message news:C7AD2EDD-9A88-4047-A02A-C65643B5B0CA@microsoft.com...
    > > > I have just had to have my hard drive replaced and want to reestablish my
    > > > home network so I can print from a Mac Laptop downstairs-but I dont seem to
    > > > be be able to have any icons that suggets that setting up a network exists.
    > > > Teh wizard never seems to apply to the set up I have so does anyone have any
    > > > suggestions, step pby step to set up this home network-without the wizard if
    > > > not too complicated, failing this with the wizard. My pc connects to a
    > > > wireless hub-black box with aerail and flashing green lights.

  8. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Replies inline
    Jim
    "JP" wrote in message
    > Ethernet
    > adapter Local area connection:
    >
    > Media State...Media disconnected

    > Etherent adpater Wirless Network Connection:
    > Connection specific DNS Suffix-Myhome.westell.com

    On my working system, this item is blank
    > IP address...192.168.1.47
    > Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Default Gateway...192.168.1.1

    You have left off whether Dhcp is enabled or not
    Is autoconfiguration enabled?
    You have left out the DHCP server address, but it surely is 192.168.1.1
    What are the DNS Servers?

    > Thanks for your time
    >
    > James
    >
    > "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
    >
    >> Posting back with the results of ipconfig /all may help.
    >>
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "JP" wrote in message
    >> Robert,
    >>
    >> I keep setting up a network called MS Home through wizard but neither
    >> computer sees each other-PC Desktop cant see Mac laptop and vice versa.
    >> Tried
    >> with PC laptop XP as well, they cant see each other either, I know it
    >> can
    >> work because before my hard drove went pop an dhad to be replaced, I
    >> could
    >> share files and printer with ease. At my witts end here.
    >>
    >> Tried connencting directly to Computers IP from Mac laptop-no joy. Have
    >> checked windows sahring on on mac and that shared documents sharing
    >> switched
    >> on. Tried turning off Norton firewall yessteardy and Windows firewall
    >> tody-still no connection. If only there wa s aprogram you can
    >> buy-wormhole
    >> didnt work-kept crashing.
    >>
    >> Any further assistance would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> James
    >>
    >> James
    >>
    >> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Assuming you want to share between Windows and Mac, this how to may

    >> help.
    >> >
    >> > How to share between Windows and MacWith a Mac running OS X and a PC

    >> running Windows 2000/XP, you can easily share files between the Mac and
    >> PC. You can connect the Mac and PC using Ethernet ...
    >> > www.howtonetworking.com/mac/filesharing1.htm
    >> >

    >> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> > "JP" wrote in message

    >> > Dear Robert,
    >> >
    >> > Still having problems-made sure I enable Mac for windows

    >> sharing-made sure
    >> > PC folder was enabled for file sharing. Identified PC's IP address

    >> asked Mac
    >> > to connect to that address-no joy. Turned off windows firewall and

    >> tried
    >> > again-no difference. Computers cant see each other any ideas?

    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

    >> reestablish my

    >> dont seem to

    >> network exists.

    >> anyone have any

    >> the wizard if

    >> connects to a

  9. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Hi Jim,

    How would I find this out-doesnt seem to be under ipconfig?

    Thanks

    James

    "Jim" wrote:

    > Replies inline
    > Jim
    > "JP" wrote in message
    > > Ethernet
    > > adapter Local area connection:
    > >
    > > Media State...Media disconnected

    > > Etherent adpater Wirless Network Connection:
    > > Connection specific DNS Suffix-Myhome.westell.com

    > On my working system, this item is blank
    > > IP address...192.168.1.47
    > > Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    > > Default Gateway...192.168.1.1

    > You have left off whether Dhcp is enabled or not
    > Is autoconfiguration enabled?
    > You have left out the DHCP server address, but it surely is 192.168.1.1
    > What are the DNS Servers?
    >

    > > Thanks for your time
    > >
    > > James
    > >
    > > "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Posting back with the results of ipconfig /all may help.
    > >>
    > >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > >> "JP" wrote in message
    > >> Robert,
    > >>
    > >> I keep setting up a network called MS Home through wizard but neither
    > >> computer sees each other-PC Desktop cant see Mac laptop and vice versa.
    > >> Tried
    > >> with PC laptop XP as well, they cant see each other either, I know it
    > >> can
    > >> work because before my hard drove went pop an dhad to be replaced, I
    > >> could
    > >> share files and printer with ease. At my witts end here.
    > >>
    > >> Tried connencting directly to Computers IP from Mac laptop-no joy. Have
    > >> checked windows sahring on on mac and that shared documents sharing
    > >> switched
    > >> on. Tried turning off Norton firewall yessteardy and Windows firewall
    > >> tody-still no connection. If only there wa s aprogram you can
    > >> buy-wormhole
    > >> didnt work-kept crashing.
    > >>
    > >> Any further assistance would be appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> James
    > >>
    > >> James

    > >> help.

    > >> running Windows 2000/XP, you can easily share files between the Mac and
    > >> PC. You can connect the Mac and PC using Ethernet ...

    > >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

    > >> sharing-made sure
    > >> asked Mac
    > >> tried

    > >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > >> reestablish my
    > >> dont seem to
    > >> network exists.
    > >> anyone have any
    > >> the wizard if
    > >> connects to a

  10. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    "JP" wrote in message
    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > How would I find this out-doesnt seem to be under ipconfig?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > James

    The command should be ipconfig/all.
    Jim

    > "Jim" wrote:
    >
    >> Replies inline
    >> Jim
    >> "JP" wrote in message
    >> > Ethernet
    >> > adapter Local area connection:
    >> >
    >> > Media State...Media disconnected

    >> > Etherent adpater Wirless Network Connection:
    >> > Connection specific DNS Suffix-Myhome.westell.com

    >> On my working system, this item is blank
    >> > IP address...192.168.1.47
    >> > Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    >> > Default Gateway...192.168.1.1

    >> You have left off whether Dhcp is enabled or not
    >> Is autoconfiguration enabled?
    >> You have left out the DHCP server address, but it surely is 192.168.1.1
    >> What are the DNS Servers?
    >>

    >> > Thanks for your time
    >> >
    >> > James

  11. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Jim,

    DHCP enabled
    Autoconfig enabled
    DHCP address 192.168.1.1
    DNS same as above

    Cheers

    James

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "JP" wrote in message
    > > Hi Jim,
    > >
    > > How would I find this out-doesnt seem to be under ipconfig?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > James

    > The command should be ipconfig/all.
    > Jim
    > >
    > > "Jim" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Replies inline
    > >> Jim
    > >> "JP" wrote in message

    > >> On my working system, this item is blank
    > >> You have left off whether Dhcp is enabled or not
    > >> Is autoconfiguration enabled?
    > >> You have left out the DHCP server address, but it surely is 192.168.1.1
    > >> What are the DNS Servers?

  12. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    "JP" wrote in message
    > Jim,
    >
    > DHCP enabled
    > Autoconfig enabled
    > DHCP address 192.168.1.1
    > DNS same as above
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > James
    >

    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    >> "JP" wrote in message
    >> > Hi Jim,
    >> >
    >> > How would I find this out-doesnt seem to be under ipconfig?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > James

    >> The command should be ipconfig/all.
    >> Jim

    Those look OK; however, the value of "Connection-specific DNS suffix" looks
    questionable. On my system, the value is blank.

    On my system, the "Primary DNS suffix" is blank.
    The node type should be "Hybrid"

    And, do you have values for DNS Servers? I use the servers from my ISP.

    Jim

  13. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Jim,

    Primary DNS Suffix is blank
    Node type-unknown
    DNS Servers 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.1

    James

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "JP" wrote in message
    > > Jim,
    > >
    > > DHCP enabled
    > > Autoconfig enabled
    > > DHCP address 192.168.1.1
    > > DNS same as above
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > James
    > >

    > > "Jim" wrote:
    > >

    > >> "JP" wrote in message

    > >> The command should be ipconfig/all.
    > >> Jim

    > Those look OK; however, the value of "Connection-specific DNS suffix" looks
    > questionable. On my system, the value is blank.
    >
    > On my system, the "Primary DNS suffix" is blank.
    > The node type should be "Hybrid"
    >
    > And, do you have values for DNS Servers? I use the servers from my ISP.
    >
    > Jim

  14. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Jim,

    IMPORTANT BREAKTHROUGH-
    I set up my pc laptop with MSHOME network settings-with pc laptop tunred on
    my macbook could read its shared itunes library and my dell desktop could
    read pc laptops shared itunes library. However, when PC laptop turned off,
    Dell Desktop and Macbook could not see any shared library-this must mean my
    PC laptop must be set up correctly but the problem must be something to do
    with teh MacBook and desktop seeing each other.

    James

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "JP" wrote in message
    > > Jim,
    > >
    > > DHCP enabled
    > > Autoconfig enabled
    > > DHCP address 192.168.1.1
    > > DNS same as above
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > James
    > >

    > > "Jim" wrote:
    > >

    > >> "JP" wrote in message

    > >> The command should be ipconfig/all.
    > >> Jim

    > Those look OK; however, the value of "Connection-specific DNS suffix" looks
    > questionable. On my system, the value is blank.
    >
    > On my system, the "Primary DNS suffix" is blank.
    > The node type should be "Hybrid"
    >
    > And, do you have values for DNS Servers? I use the servers from my ISP.
    >
    > Jim

  15. Re: I cant seem to set up my wirless network

    Jim,

    Since my last succes getting shared libraries between my macbook and laptop
    pc-I have managed to connect my mac book to my dell desktop and access files,
    hooray, however only after I had turned off intrusion and firewall in norton
    internet security as well as ensuring Windows Firewall off-how can I get it
    now to allow access from my mac-I set them for off for 15 minutes and guess
    what, my connection failed after 15 minutes. Also how to I now access the
    printer connected to my desktop so I can print from mac book through desktop
    and onto printer.

    James

+ Reply to Thread