Set up XP for Printer behind Wireless Print Server - Wireless

This is a discussion on Set up XP for Printer behind Wireless Print Server - Wireless ; When I install the print driver for a networked printer, I sometimes first set it as a local printer then go into the port tab and create a new TCP/IP port for the printer's address. This has always worked well ...

  1. Set up XP for Printer behind Wireless Print Server

    When I install the print driver for a networked printer, I sometimes
    first set it as a local printer then go into the port tab and create a
    new TCP/IP port for the printer's address. This has always worked
    well for me both for initial configs as well as for re-configs when an
    existing printer gets connected to the network.

    However, when I set up the driver for a printer that's behind a print
    server, this procedure sometimes works but sometimes does not. I'd
    like to understand why and I'd also like to learn a more reliable
    method of *manually* installing the print driver in this situation.

  2. Re: Set up XP for Printer behind Wireless Print Server

    HI
    When you configure a Network Pinter always configure it with Static IP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Bob Simon" wrote in message
    > When I install the print driver for a networked printer, I sometimes
    > first set it as a local printer then go into the port tab and create a
    > new TCP/IP port for the printer's address. This has always worked
    > well for me both for initial configs as well as for re-configs when an
    > existing printer gets connected to the network.
    >
    > However, when I set up the driver for a printer that's behind a print
    > server, this procedure sometimes works but sometimes does not. I'd
    > like to understand why and I'd also like to learn a more reliable
    > method of *manually* installing the print driver in this situation.

  3. Re: Set up XP for Printer behind Wireless Print Server

    The printer IP address and the print server IP address are both
    static. The only way I've been able to reliably install print drivers
    for printers behind the print server has been with the special utility
    provided with the print server, which sets up special types of ports
    like USB3 (virtual USB). The standard TCP/IP port (with the static IP
    address of the printer) does not work well in my experience.

    I'm confident that there must be a way to manually set up a reliable
    driver and I'd like to learn how. Can you offer any tips?

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:20:41 -0400, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:

    >HI
    >When you configure a Network Pinter always configure it with Static IP.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    >"Bob Simon" wrote in message
    >> When I install the print driver for a networked printer, I sometimes
    >> first set it as a local printer then go into the port tab and create a
    >> new TCP/IP port for the printer's address. This has always worked
    >> well for me both for initial configs as well as for re-configs when an
    >> existing printer gets connected to the network.
    >>
    >> However, when I set up the driver for a printer that's behind a print
    >> server, this procedure sometimes works but sometimes does not. I'd
    >> like to understand why and I'd also like to learn a more reliable
    >> method of *manually* installing the print driver in this situation.

+ Reply to Thread