Problem with obtaining IP address from router - Wireless

This is a discussion on Problem with obtaining IP address from router - Wireless ; Hi, I have 3 laptops in the house. They were all able to connect to the wireless network. Then, for some unknown reason one of them suddently failed to do so. This happened after I changed the channel of the ...

  1. Problem with obtaining IP address from router

    Hi,
    I have 3 laptops in the house. They were all able to connect to the
    wireless network. Then, for some unknown reason one of them suddently
    failed to do so. This happened after I changed the channel of the wireless
    router from 1 to 6. I did this to see if I can improve the reception for
    certain parts of the house.

    Two of the laptops can still connect without problem but not the 3rd one. I
    would get the error: Limited Connectivity. No IP address has been assigned
    to the 3rd laptop when I checked using IPCONFIG.

    I tried rebooting the laptop, disable/enable the adapter, etc. But, none of
    them worked.

    I do not understand why. Pls help.

    Thanks,
    William

  2. Re: Problem with obtaining IP address from router

    I would reset the router first.

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "William" wrote in message news:uKECebO9HHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    Hi,
    I have 3 laptops in the house. They were all able to connect to the
    wireless network. Then, for some unknown reason one of them suddently
    failed to do so. This happened after I changed the channel of the wireless
    router from 1 to 6. I did this to see if I can improve the reception for
    certain parts of the house.

    Two of the laptops can still connect without problem but not the 3rd one. I
    would get the error: Limited Connectivity. No IP address has been assigned
    to the 3rd laptop when I checked using IPCONFIG.

    I tried rebooting the laptop, disable/enable the adapter, etc. But, none of
    them worked.

    I do not understand why. Pls help.

    Thanks,
    William

  3. Re: Problem with obtaining IP address from router

    Yes, the router was reset, along with all the devices.

    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    "William" wrote in message
    Hi,
    I have 3 laptops in the house. They were all able to connect to the
    wireless network. Then, for some unknown reason one of them suddently
    failed to do so. This happened after I changed the channel of the wireless
    router from 1 to 6. I did this to see if I can improve the reception for
    certain parts of the house.

    Two of the laptops can still connect without problem but not the 3rd one. I
    would get the error: Limited Connectivity. No IP address has been assigned
    to the 3rd laptop when I checked using IPCONFIG.

    I tried rebooting the laptop, disable/enable the adapter, etc. But, none of
    them worked.

    I do not understand why. Pls help.

    Thanks,
    William

  4. Re: Problem with obtaining IP address from router

    Check if there is a new firmware for the router and new driver for the wireless NIC. Or this troubleshooting may help,

    Troubleshooting limited or no connectivity"This connection has limited or no connectivity. " ... check this page, Sent packets only on a wireless computer and Limited or no connection ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/troublesh...nnectivity.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    "William" wrote in message
    Hi,
    I have 3 laptops in the house. They were all able to connect to the
    wireless network. Then, for some unknown reason one of them suddently
    failed to do so. This happened after I changed the channel of the wireless
    router from 1 to 6. I did this to see if I can improve the reception for
    certain parts of the house.

    Two of the laptops can still connect without problem but not the 3rd one. I
    would get the error: Limited Connectivity. No IP address has been assigned
    to the 3rd laptop when I checked using IPCONFIG.

    I tried rebooting the laptop, disable/enable the adapter, etc. But, none of
    them worked.

    I do not understand why. Pls help.

    Thanks,
    William