I can't get my wireless to automaticly connect - Wireless

This is a discussion on I can't get my wireless to automaticly connect - Wireless ; Please help, I'm running windows XP SP2 and I can't get my wireless to automaticly connect to other wireless set ups. (other than the wireless I have at work) I have turned off the firewall and made sure the "use ...

  1. I can't get my wireless to automaticly connect

    Please help,
    I'm running windows XP SP2 and I can't get my wireless to automaticly
    connect to other wireless set ups. (other than the wireless I have at work)
    I have turned off the firewall and made sure the "use windows to configure my
    wireless network settings" is selected. Windows actually tells me that the
    other wireless connections are connected and have an excellent signal, but my
    internet explorer and my outlook e-mail will not function.
    Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

  2. Re: I can't get my wireless to automaticly connect

    what "other wireless connections" or "wireless setups" - do you have
    a wireless network at home? how did you setup the wireless at home?
    did you change the default name of the wireless network? are you
    using WPA? WEP?

    please post some details

    also please post the text output of ipconfig /all

    start
    programs
    accessories
    command prompt (right click and select run as administrator and
    acknowledge the prompt)

    ipconfig /all [enter]

    click the icon on the menubar on the left and then edit, select all
    (it will turn white)

    click the icon in the menubar again then edit, copy

    this copies to the clipboard.
    paste into a reply

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: I can't get my wireless to automaticly connect

    Hello Barb,
    Thank you for your help on this. I was attempting to use the free wireless
    at resturaunts and hotels etc. My information from the config file is listed
    below.
    Thanks again!
    Lloyd

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig/all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LloydsD620
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit
    Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-39-29-A5

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-00-28-6C
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    C:\WINDOWS>

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > what "other wireless connections" or "wireless setups" - do you have
    > a wireless network at home? how did you setup the wireless at home?
    > did you change the default name of the wireless network? are you
    > using WPA? WEP?
    >
    > please post some details
    >
    > also please post the text output of ipconfig /all
    >
    > start
    > programs
    > accessories
    > command prompt (right click and select run as administrator and
    > acknowledge the prompt)
    >
    > ipconfig /all [enter]
    >
    > click the icon on the menubar on the left and then edit, select all
    > (it will turn white)
    >
    > click the icon in the menubar again then edit, copy
    >
    > this copies to the clipboard.
    > paste into a reply
    >

    > On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:14:00 -0700, Lloyd
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Please help,
    > >I'm running windows XP SP2 and I can't get my wireless to automaticly
    > >connect to other wireless set ups. (other than the wireless I have at work)
    > >I have turned off the firewall and made sure the "use windows to configure my
    > >wireless network settings" is selected. Windows actually tells me that the
    > >other wireless connections are connected and have an excellent signal, but my
    > >internet explorer and my outlook e-mail will not function.
    > >Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: I can't get my wireless to automaticly connect

    you need to change to DHCP. you are currently set at a static IP.

    after you do this:

    typically, you may have to click through some sign in page even when
    these are free in those environments.

    probably the best way is to reboot the laptop, then try to go to
    www.yahoo.com or some place on the Internet. normally you get
    redirected to the providers signin page.

    if this does not happen, then try ipconfig /renew from a command
    prompt.

    do you get an IP or do you have a 169.254.*.* APIPA in this
    situation?

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:38:01 -0700, Lloyd
    wrote:

    >Hello Barb,
    >Thank you for your help on this. I was attempting to use the free wireless
    >at resturaunts and hotels etc. My information from the config file is listed
    >below.
    >Thanks again!
    >Lloyd
    >

    >Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    >(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    >C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig/all
    >
    >Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LloydsD620
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    >
    >Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    >
    > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit
    >Cont
    >roller
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-39-29-A5
    >
    >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-00-28-6C
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    >
    >C:\WINDOWS>
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> what "other wireless connections" or "wireless setups" - do you have
    >> a wireless network at home? how did you setup the wireless at home?
    >> did you change the default name of the wireless network? are you
    >> using WPA? WEP?
    >>
    >> please post some details
    >>
    >> also please post the text output of ipconfig /all
    >>
    >> start
    >> programs
    >> accessories
    >> command prompt (right click and select run as administrator and
    >> acknowledge the prompt)
    >>
    >> ipconfig /all [enter]
    >>
    >> click the icon on the menubar on the left and then edit, select all
    >> (it will turn white)
    >>
    >> click the icon in the menubar again then edit, copy
    >>
    >> this copies to the clipboard.
    >> paste into a reply
    >>

    >> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:14:00 -0700, Lloyd
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Please help,
    >> >I'm running windows XP SP2 and I can't get my wireless to automaticly
    >> >connect to other wireless set ups. (other than the wireless I have at work)
    >> >I have turned off the firewall and made sure the "use windows to configure my
    >> >wireless network settings" is selected. Windows actually tells me that the
    >> >other wireless connections are connected and have an excellent signal, but my
    >> >internet explorer and my outlook e-mail will not function.
    >> >Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: I can't get my wireless to automaticly connect

    Hi
    In most cases you can connect to free Hot Spot if the Laptop is configured
    to obtain the Network variables automatically and there is No encryption
    scheme On.
    If to lap top is yours and you are allowed to make any changes that you like
    to, you can configure it with an alternative Network setting and choose the
    correct settings depending on the occasion.
    May be this can Help.
    How to Configure a Laptop (or any computer) to connect to more than one
    Network? http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#fewtcp-ip
    However if the laptop is under the supervision of work’s IT department, you
    should ask first before you make any changes.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Lloyd" wrote in message
    > Please help,
    > I'm running windows XP SP2 and I can't get my wireless to automaticly
    > connect to other wireless set ups. (other than the wireless I have at
    > work)
    > I have turned off the firewall and made sure the "use windows to configure
    > my
    > wireless network settings" is selected. Windows actually tells me that
    > the
    > other wireless connections are connected and have an excellent signal, but
    > my
    > internet explorer and my outlook e-mail will not function.
    > Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

  6. Re: I can't get my wireless to automaticly connect

    That did the trick!!!! It was set up for 1 IP address only, once I switched
    it to automatic it worked fine!! Thank you so much!!!!

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > In most cases you can connect to free Hot Spot if the Laptop is configured
    > to obtain the Network variables automatically and there is No encryption
    > scheme On.
    > If to lap top is yours and you are allowed to make any changes that you like
    > to, you can configure it with an alternative Network setting and choose the
    > correct settings depending on the occasion.
    > May be this can Help.
    > How to Configure a Laptop (or any computer) to connect to more than one
    > Network? http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#fewtcp-ip
    > However if the laptop is under the supervision of work’s IT department, you
    > should ask first before you make any changes.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Lloyd" wrote in message
    > > Please help,
    > > I'm running windows XP SP2 and I can't get my wireless to automaticly
    > > connect to other wireless set ups. (other than the wireless I have at
    > > work)
    > > I have turned off the firewall and made sure the "use windows to configure
    > > my
    > > wireless network settings" is selected. Windows actually tells me that
    > > the
    > > other wireless connections are connected and have an excellent signal, but
    > > my
    > > internet explorer and my outlook e-mail will not function.
    > > Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

+ Reply to Thread