Advice for a newbie with Wireless Broadband - Wireless

This is a discussion on Advice for a newbie with Wireless Broadband - Wireless ; "Lem" wrote: > > There are still a few issues. Part of the problem is that I can't quite > visualize everything you're describing. > > VZ Access seems to be a "do-everything" utility that works with both > wireless ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Advice for a newbie with Wireless Broadband

    "Lem" wrote:

    > There are still a few issues. Part of the problem is that I can't quite
    > visualize everything you're describing.
    >
    > VZ Access seems to be a "do-everything" utility that works with both
    > wireless broadband and wifi adapters, so your guess may well be correct.
    >
    > The warning also may mean that you have not disabled the Windows
    > Wireless Zero Configuration utility. It's OK to use the Intel ProSet
    > utility (it probably has some extra features that may be useful), but
    > you can't have both utilities active at the same time. Even though you
    > configured the adapter with the Intel utility, it sounds as if it is
    > smart enough to turn itself off when it detected Windows and/or VZ
    > Access trying to configure the adapter. See
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html for directions on how to disable Windows WZC.
    >
    > The fact that the neighbor's wireless network has a lock next to its
    > name and yours does not means that your neighbor's network is secured
    > (by encryption) and yours is not. That means that you can't connect to
    > your neighbor's network but your neighbor can connect to yours. In
    > order to secure a wireless network, you must set the encryption settings
    > _on the router_. The settings for the adapter must then match the
    > settings in the router.
    >
    > What I don't understand is how, after you configured the adapter to use
    > encryption, you are connecting to an unencrypted network. It may be
    > that all your work configuring the adapter with the Intel ProSet utility
    > is being ignored, given the warning that its "profile management
    > features have been temporarily disabled."
    >
    > Just to double check, open a web browser and enter the IP address you
    > set for the router. Login to the browser's configuration utility (did
    > you change the default password?).
    >
    > Click the Wireless tab. For Wireless Network Mode, you should be set to
    > G-only or Mixed (G-only will be better for you). Did you change the
    > default SSID from Linksys to something you can recognize? And is the
    > radio button to Enable SSID broadcast selected?
    >
    > Note that if you make any changes to the router's wireless settings
    > while you are connected to it wirelessly, you very likely will be
    > disconnected. So, if you're connected wirelessly, just look for now.
    > Make any changes, if necessary, while you're connected to the router
    > with a cable.
    >
    > Click the Wireless Security tab. Is the Security Mode set to
    > WPA2-Preshared Key (or WPA2-Personal)? Is the WPA Algorithm set to AES?
    > And here is where your passphrase goes (IIRC, Linksys will show it in
    > clear here). You can leave Group Key Renewal at 3600.
    >
    > Finally, the box for IEEE 802.1X on the "Authentication" tab of your
    > wireless network properties should not be checked. If things are
    > working OK, I suppose you can leave it, but this is meant for corporate
    > networks that use special security hardware. You may or may not be able
    > to do anything about this. On my setup, the entire "Authentication" tab
> [...]

    Well, when I brought the laptop downstairs I still had internet connection.
    I hooked everything up & noticed I had no sound; I tracked that to a USB hub,
    which had 3 connections, plugged in. With any of the 3 individually plugged
    in to the laptop I have sound, but if plugged into the hub, & then the hub
    attached to laptop, no sound. It worked before, but not now, so something
    must be conflicting, but nothing showed as a conflict in Device Manager. I’ll
    figure that out later.

    The BIGGER problem was that the wireless internet connection on the laptop
    won’t connect anymore (not a surprise to you I see).

    I followed your directions for the router, & as soon as I changed the
    wireless settings you described, the laptop automatically connected! Now when
    I hit refresh my router has a lock just like the neighbor’s (& since I’m
    picking up there signal & they are further away from the house than is the
    cave, maybe this Linksys equipment will have a signal in the cave.) Does the
    router signal work similarly to that of a cordless phone? The $50 cordless
    phone based in the house will work in the cave, as will the cordless in the
    cave work in the house). When trying to set up wireless adapter in cave, do I
    just follow your prior instructions for setting up my laptop’s card (although
    I needed to use the Intel utility for that vs. Windows?)

    I’ve not changed the router’s default password, & don’t remember where it is
    if you told me; it’s a lot to digest. It must be on the Linksys CD though.
    Is it under Management when I’m in the router menu? There’s a password
    stored there, but it’s too long to be the default password.

    Is there a reason to change the SSID from linksys to something else?

    I think I’ve now disabled the WZC. I read the link, but am not sure I got
    it. The startup type was set to automatic & I changed it to disabled. Is
    that right?

    Now you too have set up wireless broadband. Well actually all you, I just
    followed directions.

    You’ve been so patient & helpful! Need a good tax advisor? That’s what I
    do; speak IRSese fluently.

  2. Re: Advice for a newbie with Wireless Broadband

    Justpast40 wrote:
> [...]

    > just follow your prior instructions for setting up my laptop’s card (although
    > I needed to use the Intel utility for that vs. Windows?)
    >
    > I’ve not changed the router’s default password, & don’t remember where it is
    > if you told me; it’s a lot to digest. It must be on the Linksys CD though.
    > Is it under Management when I’m in the router menu? There’s a password
    > stored there, but it’s too long to be the default password.
    >
    > Is there a reason to change the SSID from linksys to something else?
    >
    > I think I’ve now disabled the WZC. I read the link, but am not sure I got
    > it. The startup type was set to automatic & I changed it to disabled. Is
    > that right?
    >

    > Now you too have set up wireless broadband. Well actually all you, I just
    > followed directions.
    >
    > You’ve been so patient & helpful! Need a good tax advisor? That’s what I

    Congratulations.

    You very well may get connectivity in the cave. The router signal is
    very much like that of the cordless phone. In fact, some cordless
    phones use the same radio frequency band as 802.11G wifi (the one you
    have). Older cordless phones use 900 MHz; newer ones use 5.8GHz; and
    ones in the middle use 2.4GHz, which is what wifi G uses. All this
    means that there is a possibility (not certainty) that using a 2.4GHz
    cordless phone at the same time you're trying to use your wireless
    network may cause interference. So, if the network connection drops
    while you're talking on the phone, that may be why.

    The default password for Linksys routers is admin; the default username
    is blank. I guess you had your browser set to remember the info!

    The main reason to change the SSID is so that you can recognize it. If
    you're in an area where several people have setup wireless networks, and
    you see two networks named Linksys, you won't know which one to connect
    to. Also, as you have discovered, the default is to connect
    automatically to a network that you've been connected to before. If you
    take your laptop somewhere where there is a network named Linksys, it
    will try to connect to it. This is not as much of a problem for you as
    it might be, because you won't be able to connect to someone else's
    "Linksys" network because of the encryption settings.

    Yes, you have disabled WZC. Since you're now familiar with using the
    Intel PROSet utility, you might as well disable WZC on your husband's
    laptop and use PROSet to configure his adapter. The process is
    identical. If I were you, I'd bring his laptop near the router when
    initially configuring it, so you can eliminate poor transmission as the
    cause of any problems you might encounter (of course, you shouldn't
    encounter any now).

    I don't know too much about USB issues, but many USB devices are powered
    through the USB connection itself, with no separate power supply.
    Depending on what devices you have plugged into the hub, they may be
    putting too much of a load on the laptop's power supply. If that turns
    out to be the problem, you can buy a powered USB hub, so that the
    devices get their power from the hub's power supply and not from the laptop.

    One final thought. Is the firewall turned on in the Dell for the USB720
    connection? It should be.

    I actually started to think about taxes yesterday. I have a small
    investment in an LLC that habitually does not get its K-1s out on time.
    The 6-month extension for 2006 taxes is fast approaching, but I'm told
    I'll get my K-1 before the end of Sept.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  3. Re: Advice for a newbie with Wireless Broadband

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Congratulations.
    >
    > You very well may get connectivity in the cave. The router signal is
    > very much like that of the cordless phone. In fact, some cordless
    > phones use the same radio frequency band as 802.11G wifi (the one you
    > have). Older cordless phones use 900 MHz; newer ones use 5.8GHz; and
    > ones in the middle use 2.4GHz, which is what wifi G uses. All this
    > means that there is a possibility (not certainty) that using a 2.4GHz
    > cordless phone at the same time you're trying to use your wireless
    > network may cause interference. So, if the network connection drops
    > while you're talking on the phone, that may be why.
    >
    > The default password for Linksys routers is admin; the default username
    > is blank. I guess you had your browser set to remember the info!
    >
    > The main reason to change the SSID is so that you can recognize it. If
    > you're in an area where several people have setup wireless networks, and
    > you see two networks named Linksys, you won't know which one to connect
    > to. Also, as you have discovered, the default is to connect
    > automatically to a network that you've been connected to before. If you
    > take your laptop somewhere where there is a network named Linksys, it
    > will try to connect to it. This is not as much of a problem for you as
    > it might be, because you won't be able to connect to someone else's
    > "Linksys" network because of the encryption settings.
    >
    > Yes, you have disabled WZC. Since you're now familiar with using the
    > Intel PROSet utility, you might as well disable WZC on your husband's
    > laptop and use PROSet to configure his adapter. The process is
    > identical. If I were you, I'd bring his laptop near the router when
    > initially configuring it, so you can eliminate poor transmission as the
    > cause of any problems you might encounter (of course, you shouldn't
    > encounter any now).
    >
    > I don't know too much about USB issues, but many USB devices are powered
    > through the USB connection itself, with no separate power supply.
    > Depending on what devices you have plugged into the hub, they may be
    > putting too much of a load on the laptop's power supply. If that turns
    > out to be the problem, you can buy a powered USB hub, so that the
    > devices get their power from the hub's power supply and not from the laptop.
    >
    > One final thought. Is the firewall turned on in the Dell for the USB720
    > connection? It should be.
    >
    > I actually started to think about taxes yesterday. I have a small
    > investment in an LLC that habitually does not get its K-1s out on time.
    > The 6-month extension for 2006 taxes is fast approaching, but I'm told
    > I'll get my K-1 before the end of Sept.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    I remembered that the default password for the router was admin, & entered
    it each time, I just don't know where to change it & wondered if it was under
    Administration. What confused me is there's password info stored there
    already, & there are many more stars there then the 5 for admin.

    I have a USB hub with a separate power supply that I think I'll switch out
    to see if it works.

    Hubby's computer is not a laptop, it is a desktop, & I bought a Linksys
    Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooseter when I bought the
    router. I imagine with all the info you've given me that as long as I can
    get his computer to recognize the adapter once it is plugged in that if it is
    going to work (my laptop had an internet connection while out there earlier),
    that it should not be too hard to set up (famous last words). Now if I can
    just figure out how to allow the Wii to connect with the new security
    settings you walked me through I’ll be OK. Off to the Linksys site for that
    after cave is set up.

    If this system won't connect to the cave I'll try 1 of the range booster
    set-ups.

    On the upstairs Dell with the USB modem, the connection is showing as
    connected, shared, firewalled.

    Is there a way to tell how "strong" a connection this wireless broadband is
    providing, meaning how fast the download would be vs. what the maximum could
    be? I know it is a lot faster than the dial-up we were on. I know the USB
    modem does not have 5 bars nor do our cell phones, so I'm wondering who much
    degradation in the connection we might be experiencing

    You have until 10/15 to file as long as you filed your extension on time.
    Have to check with your state for their requirements. When IRS changed this
    year from needing 2 to 1 extension, many states went along with the
    modification. We've not filed either, so you're not alone.

    TY

  4. Re: Advice for a newbie with Wireless Broadband

    "Justpast40" wrote:

> [...]

    > If this system won't connect to the cave I'll try 1 of the range booster
    > set-ups.
    >
    > On the upstairs Dell with the USB modem, the connection is showing as
    > connected, shared, firewalled.
    >
    > Is there a way to tell how "strong" a connection this wireless broadband is
    > providing, meaning how fast the download would be vs. what the maximum could
    > be? I know it is a lot faster than the dial-up we were on. I know the USB
    > modem does not have 5 bars nor do our cell phones, so I'm wondering who much
    > degradation in the connection we might be experiencing
    >
    > You have until 10/15 to file as long as you filed your extension on time.
    > Have to check with your state for their requirements. When IRS changed this
    > year from needing 2 to 1 extension, many states went along with the
    > modification. We've not filed either, so you're not alone.

    I thought the cave was setting up, but it did not.

    The software for the Linksys wireless adapter installed the adapter's
    drivers. Linksys then has an easy set-up connection to connect the wireless
    adapter & router. They spoke to each other with good signal strength, but
    then created a profile different from the one for the laptop. The laptop the
    D/C because then security settings had disabled. I re-enabled the security
    settings to the way they were, & the laptop then connected.

    I once again tried to set up the cave, & at some point during the set-up the
    laptop D/C, & it won't connect again.

    The laptop finds the network, shows good signal strength, but is unable to
    connect. Any suggestions? I've restarted the laptop a few times.

    This is so disheartening. I think I've quadruple checked all the settings
    to make sure they match.

  5. Re: Advice for a newbie with Wireless Broadband

    "Justpast40" wrote:

    > I thought the cave was setting up, but it did not.
    >
    > The software for the Linksys wireless adapter installed the adapter's
    > drivers. Linksys then has an easy set-up connection to connect the wireless
    > adapter & router. They spoke to each other with good signal strength, but
    > then created a profile different from the one for the laptop. The laptop the
    > D/C because then security settings had disabled. I re-enabled the security
    > settings to the way they were, & the laptop then connected.
    >
    > I once again tried to set up the cave, & at some point during the set-up the
    > laptop D/C, & it won't connect again.
    >
    > The laptop finds the network, shows good signal strength, but is unable to
    > connect. Any suggestions? I've restarted the laptop a few times.
    >
    > This is so disheartening. I think I've quadruple checked all the settings
    > to make sure they match.

    OK, fixed laptop connection. I could see it could not obtain IP address, &
    settings all looked OK.

    I checked & rechecked security settings in router & on laptop adapter > did
    not fix

    Unplugging router > did not fix

    Resetting security settings in router's menu > did not fix

    Restarting both computers a few times > did not fix

    Uninstalled network adapters in laptop > did not fix

    Few other things I think > did not fix

    I then hit reset button on back of router, changed the settings that had
    changed (not all changed.), LAPTOP CONNECTED ! ! ! !

    Will try cave tomorrow, but not with their automatic setup, will try to
    manually configure.

  6. Re: Advice for a newbie with Wireless Broadband

    Justpast40 wrote:
    > "Justpast40" wrote:
    >
    >> I thought the cave was setting up, but it did not.
    >>
    >> The software for the Linksys wireless adapter installed the adapter's
    >> drivers. Linksys then has an easy set-up connection to connect the wireless
    >> adapter & router. They spoke to each other with good signal strength, but
    >> then created a profile different from the one for the laptop. The laptop the
    >> D/C because then security settings had disabled. I re-enabled the security
    >> settings to the way they were, & the laptop then connected.
    >>
    >> I once again tried to set up the cave, & at some point during the set-up the
    >> laptop D/C, & it won't connect again.
    >>
    >> The laptop finds the network, shows good signal strength, but is unable to
    >> connect. Any suggestions? I've restarted the laptop a few times.
    >>
    >> This is so disheartening. I think I've quadruple checked all the settings
    >> to make sure they match.

    > OK, fixed laptop connection. I could see it could not obtain IP address, &
    > settings all looked OK.
    >
    > I checked & rechecked security settings in router & on laptop adapter > did
    > not fix
    >
    > Unplugging router > did not fix
    >
    > Resetting security settings in router's menu > did not fix
    >
    > Restarting both computers a few times > did not fix
    >
    > Uninstalled network adapters in laptop > did not fix
    >
    > Few other things I think > did not fix
    >
    > I then hit reset button on back of router, changed the settings that had
    > changed (not all changed.), LAPTOP CONNECTED ! ! ! !
    >

    > Will try cave tomorrow, but not with their automatic setup, will try to
    > manually configure.

    I hope things have gone a bit easier today. Remember that when you
    installed the drivers for the USB adapter for H's computer, the Linksys
    CD almost certainly also installed Linksys's configuration utility.
    Just like the problems you had with the laptop's PROSet and VZ
    utilities, you have to get this computer to use either the Linksys
    utility or Windows WZC to configure the adapter. IIRC, the Linksys
    utility has a check box somewhere to disable it in favor of WZC.
    Otherwise, you know how to disable WZC and use the Linksys utility.

    The router's password can be changed on the Administration tab,
    Management screen. Having more *** than the letters in a password is a
    common security technique -- the theory is if someone sees the screen
    with the stars, they won't know how many letters are in the password,
    which would make guessing much easier. Of course, if they are seeing
    the screen with the stars, it means the password is filled in, and it's
    already too late to keep them out.

    With regard to being unable to connect, even though you think you have
    everything correct -- the encryption passphrase is case-sensitive, so if
    your password was set up in the router with mixed case, make sure that
    you enter it that way in the computers. Trouble with encryption is very
    often the problem when the adapter reports "good signal strength" but
    can't connect.

    I'm sorry you had to go through this. Normally, it isn't this
    troublesome to set up a wireless network.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2