outdoor networking - advice needed please - Wireless

This is a discussion on outdoor networking - advice needed please - Wireless ; Hi I'm involved in running a festival in the UK - we have around 5000 attendees in a large (50+ acres) site. We're considering offering some kind of free wi-fi connectivity on site, and I would be grateful for a ...

  1. outdoor networking - advice needed please

    Hi

    I'm involved in running a festival in the UK - we have around 5000
    attendees in a large (50+ acres) site.

    We're considering offering some kind of free wi-fi connectivity on
    site, and I would be grateful for a little guidance.

    I know that we're not going to get coverage across such a wide area
    and I'm happy to operate a small 'wi-fi' zone.

    My initial thoughts are that once we get the broadband line in, all
    I'll need to do is set up a wireless router without any WEP and allow
    people to access our wi-fi.

    Is this the best way to implement free connectivity?, and if it is can
    anyone recommend a suitable router than has a good range and will be
    able to handle a fair amount of wi-fi connections without too much
    trouble.

    If I'm way off the mark with my thoughts, then any help would be
    really appreciated.

    thanks in advance
    Neil

  2. Re: outdoor networking - advice needed please

    Cisco 1300 Wireless bridge may do what you want. These samples may help,

    Sample of Cisco 1310 Wireless Root Bridge

    Sample of Cisco 1310 Non-Root Bridge Configuration

    http://www.howtonetworking.com/cisco/configsamples.htm
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    wrote in message news:1189416789.012876.159140@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
[...]

  3. Re: outdoor networking - advice needed please

    tireless.orion@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm involved in running a festival in the UK - we have around 5000
    > attendees in a large (50+ acres) site.
    >
    > We're considering offering some kind of free wi-fi connectivity on
    > site, and I would be grateful for a little guidance.
    >
    > I know that we're not going to get coverage across such a wide area
    > and I'm happy to operate a small 'wi-fi' zone.
    >
    > My initial thoughts are that once we get the broadband line in, all
    > I'll need to do is set up a wireless router without any WEP and allow
    > people to access our wi-fi.
    >
    > Is this the best way to implement free connectivity?, and if it is can
    > anyone recommend a suitable router than has a good range and will be
    > able to handle a fair amount of wi-fi connections without too much
    > trouble.
    >
    > If I'm way off the mark with my thoughts, then any help would be
    > really appreciated.
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > Neil

    You may want to consult with someone who has experience with making wifi
    available to a potentially large user base, for example, the IT group at
    a nearby university.

    Even with commercial-grade units such as Cisco, you may need multiple
    access points in a non-trivial configuration in order to support more
    than a few users simultaneously. See for example, this Cisco FAQ:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...483e.shtml#new
    Scroll down to:

    Q. How many clients can associate to the AP?

    A. The AP has the physical capacity to handle 2048 MAC addresses.
    However, because the AP is a shared medium and acts as a wireless hub,
    the performance of each user decreases as the number of users increases
    on an individual AP. Ideally, not more than 24 clients should associate
    with the AP because the throughput of the AP is reduced with each client
    that associates to the AP.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  4. Re: outdoor networking - advice needed please

    On Sep 10, 3:30 pm, Lem wrote:
    > tireless.or...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi

    > > I'm involved in running a festival in the UK - we have around 5000

    > You may want to consult with someone who has experience with making wifi
    > available to a potentially large user base, for example, the IT group at
    > a nearby university.
    >
    > Even with commercial-grade units such as Cisco, you may need multiple
    > access points in a non-trivial configuration in order to support more
    > than a few users simultaneously. See for example, this Cisco FAQ:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...roducts_qanda_...
    > Scroll down to:
    >

    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Thanks for that. I'm comfortable putting this on for a small number
    of people (say 6-8 max at any one time), and I think a standard
    wireless router would be fine for this (and will probably be the route
    we take).

    Seeing as I'm looking at this from scratch I wanted to explore the
    possibility of providing it over a wider area and to more people, it's
    certainly possible but would take lots more effort.....I guess I need
    to work out if it's worth it!

    Neil

  5. Re: outdoor networking - advice needed please

    wrote in message
    news:1189416789.012876.159140@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm involved in running a festival in the UK - we have around 5000
    > attendees in a large (50+ acres) site.
    >
    > We're considering offering some kind of free wi-fi connectivity on
    > site, and I would be grateful for a little guidance.
    >
    > I know that we're not going to get coverage across such a wide area
    > and I'm happy to operate a small 'wi-fi' zone.
    >
    > My initial thoughts are that once we get the broadband line in, all
    > I'll need to do is set up a wireless router without any WEP and allow
    > people to access our wi-fi.
    >
    > Is this the best way to implement free connectivity?, and if it is can
    > anyone recommend a suitable router than has a good range and will be
    > able to handle a fair amount of wi-fi connections without too much
    > trouble.
    >
    > If I'm way off the mark with my thoughts, then any help would be
    > really appreciated.
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > Neil

    http://meraki.com/

    In the future you should post a question about wireless in one of the
    wireless newsgroups not associated with windows.
    The person who gave you the advice of contacting the nearest university IT
    department was way off in good advice. Most microsoft IT types are not good
    with networking, and their wireless skills are even lower.
    alt.internet.wireless is a good newsgroup.

  6. Re: outdoor networking - advice needed please

    On Sep 10, 5:53 pm, "Dana" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1189416789.012876.159140@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    >

    > > Hi

    > > I'm involved in running a festival in the UK - we have around 5000
    > > attendees in a large (50+ acres) site.

    > > We're considering offering some kind of free wi-fi connectivity on
    > > site, and I would be grateful for a little guidance.

    > > I know that we're not going to get coverage across such a wide area
    > > and I'm happy to operate a small 'wi-fi' zone.

    > > My initial thoughts are that once we get the broadband line in, all
    > > I'll need to do is set up a wireless router without any WEP and allow
    > > people to access our wi-fi.

    > > Is this the best way to implement free connectivity?, and if it is can
    > > anyone recommend a suitable router than has a good range and will be
    > > able to handle a fair amount of wi-fi connections without too much
    > > trouble.

    > > If I'm way off the mark with my thoughts, then any help would be
    > > really appreciated.

    > > thanks in advance
    > > Neil

    > http://meraki.com/
    >
    > In the future you should post a question about wireless in one of the
    > wireless newsgroups not associated with windows.
    > The person who gave you the advice of contacting the nearest university IT
    > department was way off in good advice. Most microsoft IT types are not good
    > with networking, and their wireless skills are even lower.
    > alt.internet.wireless is a good newsgroup.- Hide quoted text -

    thanks- i initally browsed google groups on my mobile and missed the
    alt.internet.wireless group! - will reword my question (as I now have
    a better idea of what I want), and will ask it there

+ Reply to Thread