attempting wireless ad hoc network using ME - Wireless

This is a discussion on attempting wireless ad hoc network using ME - Wireless ; Hello. I have a question. I have an HP desktop running Windows ME with a dial up connection. I also have a Toshiba laptop running XP. What Imp wanting to do is to be able to connect the two computers ...

  1. attempting wireless ad hoc network using ME

    Hello.
    I have a question. I have an HP desktop running Windows ME with a dial
    up connection. I also have a Toshiba laptop running XP. What Imp wanting
    to do is to be able to connect the two computers together wirelessly. I
    have a Belkin card for the laptop and a Belkin USB adapter for the desktop
    connected to a usb hub suspended in the air about 7 ft. My question is, is
    there a way to make the desktop running ME to be an ad hoc connection so the
    two computers can talk with each other without the need for a router? From
    what I've experienced, a router needs a high speed connection, which I
    cannot get here, and I have not been able to get a router to work (linksys)
    without the high speed connection because it will not set itself up
    properly. I cannot find a way or a switch etc to set the ME system to run
    as ad hoc. I think it keeps trying to look for a network but doesn't see
    the laptop. A second question would be, would a bluetooth connection work
    better for what Imp wanting to do? I want to be able not only to connect to
    the internet with the laptop, but also want the two computers to network so
    we can transfer files back and forth, and let the laptop use the printer.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my second time to give this a shot
    and Imp about to give it up. Thanks.

  2. Re: attempting wireless ad hoc network using ME

    Hi
    The two Wireless cards have to be configured to Ad-Hoc mode.
    Start first with the security Off on both.
    In WinME you have to use the Wireless Cardís utility. In Win XP you can the
    utility or WZC but Not both.
    There is a solution to maintain normal Wireless and use DialUp.
    See here Option2, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Brian O" wrote in message
    > Hello.
    > I have a question. I have an HP desktop running Windows ME with a dial
    > up connection. I also have a Toshiba laptop running XP. What Imp wanting
    > to do is to be able to connect the two computers together wirelessly. I
    > have a Belkin card for the laptop and a Belkin USB adapter for the desktop
    > connected to a usb hub suspended in the air about 7 ft. My question is,
    > is
    > there a way to make the desktop running ME to be an ad hoc connection so
    > the
    > two computers can talk with each other without the need for a router?
    > From
    > what I've experienced, a router needs a high speed connection, which I
    > cannot get here, and I have not been able to get a router to work
    > (linksys)
    > without the high speed connection because it will not set itself up
    > properly. I cannot find a way or a switch etc to set the ME system to run
    > as ad hoc. I think it keeps trying to look for a network but doesn't see
    > the laptop. A second question would be, would a bluetooth connection work
    > better for what Imp wanting to do? I want to be able not only to connect
    > the internet with the laptop, but also want the two computers to network
    > so
    > we can transfer files back and forth, and let the laptop use the printer.
    > Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my second time to give this a
    > shot
    > and Imp about to give it up. Thanks.

  3. Re: attempting wireless ad hoc network using ME

    Ok, I've got the two computers talking to each other, they can access each
    others shared files and can print on the network printer. The only problem
    I'm having now is getting the laptop to access the internet via the wireless
    network to the desktop, which has the dialup connection. The desktop
    running ME has ICS enabled but shows only one computer using the network
    when the dialup connection is enabled. I'm not figuring out what I need to
    do to get the laptop to access the internet either with the web browser or
    email client. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Brian