AP mode vs. WDS with AP mode - Wireless

This is a discussion on AP mode vs. WDS with AP mode - Wireless ; D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to use in order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all ...

  1. AP mode vs. WDS with AP mode

    D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to use
    in
    order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected
    with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all AP's in WDS with AP
    mode. Might solve my connection problems, but defeats my purpose in using
    VLAN's.

    Any advice/comments?
    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

  2. Re: AP mode vs. WDS with AP mode

    Hi
    Using Additional APs connected to the main Router with cables is more
    flexible and provides better Wireless.
    If cable is Not a viable solution and you Must use WDS, you would have
    restricted capacities and lower bandwidth (that the way it is WDS, ergo more
    restrictions).
    It is possible (but expensive) to create a better WDS of sort that allows
    more flexibility.
    Use an AP in client mode, and connected it with a short cable to a second AP
    that sits next to it configured as a regular Access Point. The first AP
    receives the signal and transfer it with the wire to the second AP that
    would transmit it further.
    By doing so you create with the two APs your own Repeater with two Radios.
    Having two Radios and two independent units instead of one unit that
    Flip-Flops, can provide more flexibility in configuring the Wireless
    Network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    > D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to
    > use in
    > order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected
    > with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all AP's in WDS with AP
    > mode. Might solve my connection problems, but defeats my purpose in using
    > VLAN's.
    >
    > Any advice/comments?
    > --
    > Mike Webb
    > Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    > a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

  3. Re: AP mode vs. WDS with AP mode

    I appreciate the feedback, but have some follow-up questions.

    I have my primary AP connected to the switch (a D-Link managed switch that
    can do VLAN's), which is part of the domain. My router has an IP outside
    the domain (2-NIC server). How would I still do VLAN's with the router? And
    to you agree with D-Link that their AP set in AP mode (only has 3 -- AP, WDS
    with AP, and WDS), MUST be wired to a client PC?

    Mike

    > Hi
    > Using Additional APs connected to the main Router with cables is more
    > flexible and provides better Wireless.
    > If cable is Not a viable solution and you Must use WDS, you would have
    > restricted capacities and lower bandwidth (that the way it is WDS, ergo
    > more restrictions).
    > It is possible (but expensive) to create a better WDS of sort that allows
    > more flexibility.
    > Use an AP in client mode, and connected it with a short cable to a second
    > AP that sits next to it configured as a regular Access Point. The first
    > AP receives the signal and transfer it with the wire to the second AP that
    > would transmit it further.
    > By doing so you create with the two APs your own Repeater with two Radios.
    > Having two Radios and two independent units instead of one unit that
    > Flip-Flops, can provide more flexibility in configuring the Wireless
    > Network.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    >> D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to
    >> use in
    >> order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected
    >> with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all AP's in WDS with AP
    >> mode. Might solve my connection problems, but defeats my purpose in
    >> using
    >> VLAN's.
    >>
    >> Any advice/comments?
    >> --
    >> Mike Webb
    >> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

  4. Re: AP mode vs. WDS with AP mode

    I can not answer you about the VLAN issue it depends on too many variable
    that are unknown to me.
    An Access Point configured as an Access Point needs a Cable, that the way
    APs work.
    The only mode that an Access Point doesn't not need a cable plugged into is
    Repeater/WDS.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    > D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to
    > use in
    > order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected
    > with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all AP's in WDS with AP
    > mode. Might solve my connection problems, but defeats my purpose in using
    > VLAN's.
    >
    > Any advice/comments?
    > --
    > Mike Webb
    > Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    > a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

  5. Re: AP mode vs. WDS with AP mode

    OK
    >I can not answer you about the VLAN issue it depends on too many variable
    >that are unknown to me.
    > An Access Point configured as an Access Point needs a Cable, that the way
    > APs work.
    > The only mode that an Access Point doesn't not need a cable plugged into
    > is Repeater/WDS.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    >> D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to
    >> use in
    >> order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected
    >> with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all AP's in WDS with AP
    >> mode. Might solve my connection problems, but defeats my purpose in
    >> using
    >> VLAN's.
    >>
    >> Any advice/comments?
    >> --
    >> Mike Webb
    >> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

+ Reply to Thread