Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! - Wireless ; I have my desktop and just bought a laptop.My desktop is my main computer and running windows xp my laptop is running window xp pro .I have a linksys wireless g with speedboost router.I have the laptop working fine wirelessly ...

  1. Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    I have my desktop and just bought a laptop.My desktop is my main computer and
    running windows xp my laptop is running window xp pro .I have a linksys
    wireless g with speedboost router.I have the laptop working fine wirelessly
    but now I tried my hand at neworking I want to share my printer that is
    hooked to my desktop and also share files between the two computer .I tried
    the nework wizard and followed all the tutorials on the site on networking
    and file and printer sharing .but i still can't get it to work what am i
    doing wrong ????I can't see the files on my desktop with my laptop or vice
    versa I have the hand under certain folders to make it shared and I used the
    same workgroup name for both computer.please help

  2. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:46:02 -0700, djrave808
    wrote:

    >I have my desktop and just bought a laptop.My desktop is my main computer and
    >running windows xp my laptop is running window xp pro .I have a linksys
    >wireless g with speedboost router.I have the laptop working fine wirelessly
    >but now I tried my hand at neworking I want to share my printer that is
    >hooked to my desktop and also share files between the two computer .I tried
    >the nework wizard and followed all the tutorials on the site on networking
    >and file and printer sharing .but i still can't get it to work what am i
    >doing wrong ????I can't see the files on my desktop with my laptop or vice
    >versa I have the hand under certain folders to make it shared and I used the
    >same workgroup name for both computer.please help

    Do both computers have Internet service? Look at logs from "browstat status"
    and "ipconfig /all", from each computer, and try to diagnose the problem. Read
    this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
    browstat!):

    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  3. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "djrave808" wrote in message
    >I have my desktop and just bought a laptop.My desktop is my main computer
    >and
    > running windows xp my laptop is running window xp pro .I have a linksys
    > wireless g with speedboost router.I have the laptop working fine
    > wirelessly
    > but now I tried my hand at neworking I want to share my printer that is
    > hooked to my desktop and also share files between the two computer .I
    > tried
    > the nework wizard and followed all the tutorials on the site on networking
    > and file and printer sharing .but i still can't get it to work what am i
    > doing wrong ????I can't see the files on my desktop with my laptop or vice
    > versa I have the hand under certain folders to make it shared and I used
    > the
    > same workgroup name for both computer.please help

  4. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    These are excellent suggestions but are many are Vista
    Specific.

    I have been having the same problem -- I cannot share 3
    computers on a XP Linksys wireless network with a
    WRVS4400N VPN router. When all computers are wired
    (CAT5 connected) to the router, I have full file and
    printer sharing. If they are all wireless connected I
    lose all sharing. In the wireless environment all
    computers connect to the internet. The VPN tunnel
    works (I am using it right now.)

    I have no software firewalls. I have all file and
    printer sharing "checked." In all these discussions
    that I have come across none explain this seminal
    difference, why something changes from a wired
    environment to a wireless environment. They are not
    handled the same way. I have found that none of my 3
    computers see each other. None can ping each other.
    The LAN is not functional.

    I have been at this for 2 weeks now and this thread is
    very close, but still does not offer the definitive
    answer: why no sharing. We need to go beyond the
    simple explanations of firewalls and checking the
    simple file and printer sharing conventions to
    something far more obscure (yet simple). That is what
    we are searching for.

    Many thanks,
    Phil

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)."
    wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Successful Sharing involves some general
    > consideration in Network settings,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > As well as specific adjustment of each computer
    > according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP -
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "djrave808"
    > wrote in message
    >>I have my desktop and just bought a laptop.My desktop
    >>is my main computer and
    >> running windows xp my laptop is running window xp
    >> pro .I have a linksys
    >> wireless g with speedboost router.I have the laptop
    >> working fine wirelessly
    >> but now I tried my hand at neworking I want to share
    >> my printer that is
    >> hooked to my desktop and also share files between
    >> the two computer .I tried
    >> the nework wizard and followed all the tutorials on
    >> the site on networking
    >> and file and printer sharing .but i still can't get
    >> it to work what am i
    >> doing wrong ????I can't see the files on my desktop
    >> with my laptop or vice
    >> versa I have the hand under certain folders to make
    >> it shared and I used the
    >> same workgroup name for both computer.please help

  5. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    I am having the same exact problem on an XP system. Internet works fine on
    the desktop computer and wireless laptop (via the G router). Printer works
    on the desktop and the laptop when it is connected directly, but I cannot get
    it to work on the laptop wirelessly. You are a better person than me - 2
    weeks - I am about to throw in the towel after one afternoon!

    ~Stephanie

    "Phil" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>I have my desktop and just bought a laptop.My desktop
    > >>is my main computer and
    > >> running windows xp my laptop is running window xp
    > >> pro .I have a linksys
    > >> wireless g with speedboost router.I have the laptop
    > >> working fine wirelessly
    > >> but now I tried my hand at neworking I want to share
    > >> my printer that is
    > >> hooked to my desktop and also share files between
    > >> the two computer .I tried
    > >> the nework wizard and followed all the tutorials on
    > >> the site on networking
    > >> and file and printer sharing .but i still can't get
    > >> it to work what am i
    > >> doing wrong ????I can't see the files on my desktop
    > >> with my laptop or vice
    > >> versa I have the hand under certain folders to make
    > >> it shared and I used the
    > >> same workgroup name for both computer.please help

  6. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    I am persistent. But after two weeks I am ready to give up.
    If you do a search there are probably 1000's of queries
    related to "can't get file and printer sharing." None on
    of these discussion results in a definitive solution beyond
    the usual "turn on file sharing and turn off the firewall."
    But that is not the full answer for so many of us. Then
    the trail suddenly turns cold ... the responses drift off.

    I am so frustrated by this problems that I am ready to
    revert to a wired network which will work flawlessly. Not
    without its problems but it is so much more robust and
    foolproof once set up properly.

    I had to become my own network admin at my medical office --
    successfully for the last 10 years. So I come to this
    problem not as a neophyte, novice or ...... newbie.

    1. The answer is either **highly** arcane but simple
    2. Not known
    3. A true "bug" or "limitation" of wireless networking
    software conventions that is trying to balance security with
    accessibility -- and failing.
    4. the differences between XP and Vista just compound an
    already insoluble problem.

    I wish someone, who is brilliant, would answer this
    question. Just do the search.

    Phil

    "g8rav8r" wrote in
    message
    >I am having the same exact problem on an XP system.
    >Internet works fine on
    > the desktop computer and wireless laptop (via the G
    > router). Printer works
    > on the desktop and the laptop when it is connected
    > directly, but I cannot get
    > it to work on the laptop wirelessly. You are a better
    > person than me - 2
    > weeks - I am about to throw in the towel after one
    > afternoon!
    >
    > ~Stephanie
    >

    > "Phil" wrote:
    >
    >> These are excellent suggestions but are many are Vista
    >> Specific.
    >>
    >> I have been having the same problem -- I cannot share 3
    >> computers on a XP Linksys wireless network with a
    >> WRVS4400N VPN router. When all computers are wired
    >> (CAT5 connected) to the router, I have full file and
    >> printer sharing. If they are all wireless connected I
    >> lose all sharing. In the wireless environment all
    >> computers connect to the internet. The VPN tunnel
    >> works (I am using it right now.)
    >>
    >> I have no software firewalls. I have all file and
    >> printer sharing "checked." In all these discussions
    >> that I have come across none explain this seminal
    >> difference, why something changes from a wired
    >> environment to a wireless environment. They are not
    >> handled the same way. I have found that none of my 3
    >> computers see each other. None can ping each other.
    >> The LAN is not functional.
    >>
    >> I have been at this for 2 weeks now and this thread is
    >> very close, but still does not offer the definitive
    >> answer: why no sharing. We need to go beyond the
    >> simple explanations of firewalls and checking the
    >> simple file and printer sharing conventions to
    >> something far more obscure (yet simple). That is what
    >> we are searching for.
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >> Phil
    >>

    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)."
    >> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> > Successful Sharing involves some general
    >> > consideration in Network settings,
    >> > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >> > As well as specific adjustment of each computer
    >> > according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    >> > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    >> > Basic XP -
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    >> > Advanced XP -
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    >> > Printer Sharing XP -
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
    >> > Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >> > Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >> >
    >> > "djrave808"
    >> > wrote in message

  7. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:38:20 -0700, "MS" wrote:

    >I am persistent. But after two weeks I am ready to give up.
    >If you do a search there are probably 1000's of queries
    >related to "can't get file and printer sharing." None on
    >of these discussion results in a definitive solution beyond
    >the usual "turn on file sharing and turn off the firewall."
    >But that is not the full answer for so many of us. Then
    >the trail suddenly turns cold ... the responses drift off.
    >
    >I am so frustrated by this problems that I am ready to
    >revert to a wired network which will work flawlessly. Not
    >without its problems but it is so much more robust and
    >foolproof once set up properly.
    >
    >I had to become my own network admin at my medical office --
    >successfully for the last 10 years. So I come to this
    >problem not as a neophyte, novice or ...... newbie.
    >
    >1. The answer is either **highly** arcane but simple
    >2. Not known
    >3. A true "bug" or "limitation" of wireless networking
    >software conventions that is trying to balance security with
    >accessibility -- and failing.
    >4. the differences between XP and Vista just compound an
    >already insoluble problem.
    >
    >I wish someone, who is brilliant, would answer this
    >question. Just do the search.
    >
    >Phil

    Phil,

    I won't dispute the obvious fact that Vista is still, obviously, a Beta product.
    Even so, besides the dozens of people writing here, and in other forums, for
    help with file sharing, there are hundreds of thousands of people who are using
    their Vista / XP LANs with no problems.

    And there are a dozen or so known causes of networking problems that aren't
    hinted at in the standard Microsoft Vista document, that gets quoted here a lot.

    I can see your frustration. Maybe my tutorial will give you some more ideas.

    And we can certainly look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
    config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, which should
    give us some idea what to look at next. Read this article, and linked articles,
    and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):

    Or if you like, you're welcome to continue diagnosing the problem on your own.
    But try to diagnose it methodically.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  8. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    Chuck,

    Thank you for this complete response. I have visited
    your site and is... complete blood overwhelming. Your
    quotation "there are hundreds of thousands of people
    who are using their Vista / XP LANs with no problems"
    does not solve the problem for the thousands of us
    still suffering.

    I would like to clear up one essential point if you
    please. Many of us are still using windows XP. I am
    aware that Windows Vista poses its own additional
    problems. I must repeat, in a *wired* LAN configuration
    none of these problems with file or printer sharing
    appears. This is only a problem in the wireless
    configuration. So you must admit there is something
    different about permissions and basic software
    conventions that differ between a wireless and wired
    LAN all other things being equal.

    So when you say hundreds of thousands are having a
    problem I will bet most of those are not using wireless
    LANs.

    Now I have gone to your site and have diligently played
    with cdiag.cmd. How do those of us who continue to
    have problems beyond the simple firewall and "check
    file and printer sharing" conventions go about
    submitting the cdiag.cmd results to you? How do you
    prefer the submissions?

    I have tried virtually every possible conceivable
    configuration. One limitation that I have that many
    others have is Comcast. Comcast does not allow static
    IPs. They prefer dynamic DHCP. This poses additional
    limitations. Nevertheless, I have designated each
    computer with a static TCP/IP address and designated
    the appropriate DNS1 and DNS2. Still no resolution of
    this problem. The computers do not see each other.
    They cannot ping each other.

    So please, if you will, let me know the netiquette and
    proper way of submitting results to you.

    Phil

    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
> [...]

    > I can see your frustration. Maybe my tutorial will
    > give you some more ideas.
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
    >
    > And we can certainly look at logs from "browstat
    > status", "ipconfig /all", "net
    > config server", and "net config workstation", from
    > each computer, which should
    > give us some idea what to look at next. Read this
    > article, and linked articles,
    > and follow instructions precisely (download
    > browstat!):
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >
    > Or if you like, you're welcome to continue diagnosing
    > the problem on your own.
    > But try to diagnose it methodically.
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal

  9. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    I've looked back over this and I can't even see what your problem is
    supposed to be.
    Please accurately describe the problem.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  10. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    "Phil" wrote in message
    > These are excellent suggestions but are many are Vista Specific.
    >
    > I have been having the same problem -- I cannot share 3 computers on a XP
    > Linksys wireless network with a WRVS4400N VPN router. When all computers
    > are wired (CAT5 connected) to the router, I have full file and printer
    > sharing. If they are all wireless connected I lose all sharing. In the
    > wireless environment all computers connect to the internet. The VPN
    > tunnel works (I am using it right now.)
    >
    > I have no software firewalls. I have all file and printer sharing
    > "checked." In all these discussions that I have come across none explain
    > this seminal difference, why something changes from a wired environment to
    > a wireless environment. They are not handled the same way. I have found
    > that none of my 3 computers see each other. None can ping each other. The
    > LAN is not functional.
    >
    > I have been at this for 2 weeks now and this thread is very close, but
    > still does not offer the definitive answer: why no sharing. We need to
    > go beyond the simple explanations of firewalls and checking the simple
    > file and printer sharing conventions to something far more obscure (yet
    > simple). That is what we are searching for.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Phil

    The first reason that you are having trouble is that something somewhere is
    blocking ICMP packets. You will not be able to
    get your network operational until after you solve this problem with your
    network. A firewall is the usual reason, but there may be
    others. What "enable file and printer sharing" does is instruct the Windows
    firewall to pass these packets.

    The seminal difference between wireless and wired is that wireless absolutly
    needs encryption. It isn't easy to get the keys to match, but
    unless they do, you will not be able to form a wireless network. The need
    for getting the keys to match is not especially obscure.

    I found that I had less trouble with file and printer sharing if I used the
    Net commands from within cmd. It does seem to me that the explanations
    in Help & Support apply more to XP before SP2.

    With respect to getting remote printers to work, I found that mine would not
    work unless the printer software was loaded on all computers.
    A remote printer sends its output to the port on the host computer which
    sends the spool file to the driver. Since you have not disclosed the
    manufacturer of your printer, that is all I can say.

    In my case, I worked on this problem off and on for about six months. When
    I finally broke down and read MVP Chuck's instructions,
    I solved my problems. My network has been working flawlessly for well over
    a year now.

    I no longer use the remote printer capability because printing remotely is
    so inconvenient for me.
    Jim

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
    >> settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it is
    >> allowed to be shared.
    >> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    >> Basic XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    >> Advanced XP -
    >> Printer Sharing XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
    >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "djrave808" wrote in message
    >>>I have my desktop and just bought a laptop.My desktop is my main computer
    >>>and
    >>> running windows xp my laptop is running window xp pro .I have a linksys
    >>> wireless g with speedboost router.I have the laptop working fine
    >>> wirelessly
    >>> but now I tried my hand at neworking I want to share my printer that is
    >>> hooked to my desktop and also share files between the two computer .I
    >>> tried
    >>> the nework wizard and followed all the tutorials on the site on
    >>> networking
    >>> and file and printer sharing .but i still can't get it to work what am i
    >>> doing wrong ????I can't see the files on my desktop with my laptop or
    >>> vice
    >>> versa I have the hand under certain folders to make it shared and I used
    >>> the
    >>> same workgroup name for both computer.please help

  11. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:53:33 -0700, "Phil" wrote:

> [...]

    >LANs.
    >
    >Now I have gone to your site and have diligently played
    >with cdiag.cmd. How do those of us who continue to
    >have problems beyond the simple firewall and "check
    >file and printer sharing" conventions go about
    >submitting the cdiag.cmd results to you? How do you
    >prefer the submissions?
    >
    >I have tried virtually every possible conceivable
    >configuration. One limitation that I have that many
    >others have is Comcast. Comcast does not allow static
    >IPs. They prefer dynamic DHCP. This poses additional
    >limitations. Nevertheless, I have designated each
    >computer with a static TCP/IP address and designated
    >the appropriate DNS1 and DNS2. Still no resolution of
    >this problem. The computers do not see each other.
    >They cannot ping each other.
    >
    >So please, if you will, let me know the netiquette and
    >proper way of submitting results to you.

    Phil,

    For 2 or 3 computers, CDiag is small enough to just paste into your response
    here. Plenty of folks do just that, and it's not a security risk either. No
    hacker is going to be reading these threads
    "Oh boy, Chuck just asked for another CDiag run!! $$$"

    Anyway, I understand your frustration. I get the same way, constantly.
    Computers aren't simple. Never were, never will be. When they become simple,
    it's because we're old and we can't see the details.

    Now if WiFi is involved in the problem, it's relevant at the lower levels. If
    you understand layered troubleshooting, and the OSI model, you'll see that WiFi
    isn't so tricky. Just another layer of pain.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html

    But it wouldn't hurt to start with the basic diagnostics either. Logs from
    "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config
    workstation", from each computer, is where we start, because many problems
    become apparent there. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
    instructions precisely (download browstat!):

    Now just for my personal edification, and since this thread seems to have a few
    hangers on, are you also djrave808, g8rav8r, and / or MS?

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  12. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    >In my case, I worked on this problem off and on for
    >about six months. When I finally broke down and read
    >MVP Chuck's instructions,
    >I solved my problems. My network has been working
    >flawlessly for well over a year now.

    >I no longer use the remote printer capability because
    >printing remotely is so inconvenient for me.
    >Jim

    Thank you Jim. But by your own admission this was a
    very very difficult process and you eventually
    abandoned printer sharing which is the point of my
    frustration. I am trying to share one printer (with
    out a print server) between three machines.

    Encryption process is easy. Sharing encryption keys
    between the three separate machines is not the problem.

    I am persistent. I am a problem solver. But wireless
    networks have become so frustrating that I am about to
    abandon the this problem and simply hardwire all three
    computers. I never had problems this tenacious in the
    past with a wired router. And, as I have mentioned
    multiple times in his post, when hardwiring any one of
    the three computers, filesharing and printer sharing is
    immediately solved. Immediately. Plus as a bonus, I
    get the gigabyte transfer.

    As also has a have mentioned, I think the philosophical
    problem here is compromising wireless security with
    accessibility. I have found after too many many years
    of network administration that most problems actually
    easy. What becomes overwhelming are the algorithms,
    workarounds, switches, security policies they are most
    often superfluous..

    Many thanks,
    Phil

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:NdDyi.6262$924.6211@newssvr23.news.prodigy.ne t...

> [...]

    > Jim
    >>

    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)."
    >> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> Successful Sharing involves some general
    >>> consideration in Network settings,
    >>> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >>> As well as specific adjustment of each computer
    >>> according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    >>> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
    >>> Basic XP -
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    >>> Advanced XP -
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    >>> Printer Sharing XP -
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
    >>> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >>> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -

  13. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    Chuck,

    I know this is delayed .. but I have spent a huge
    amount of time checking, double and triple checking my
    system. There is nothing wrong with this system of 3
    home computers. I am now convinced the problem is that
    Infrastructure mode prevents true peer to peer file
    sharing. We must use "ad hoc" computer to commuter
    (peer to peer) mode which less secure and probably does
    not serve my purposes. I have diligently worked
    through a series of "netsh" commands, "route print"
    commands as well as your own cdiag.

    This is the only answer to why so many of these threads
    just drop off.

    I don't think infrastructure mode will allow peer to
    peer sharing....

    Please tell all of us we are missing something, because
    the only other answer is there is something flawed
    about the WRVS4400N VPN router (which almost no one has
    any experience with -- too new).

    regards,
    Phil

    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
> [...]

    > isn't so tricky. Just another layer of pain.
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html
    >
    > But it wouldn't hurt to start with the basic
    > diagnostics either. Logs from
    > "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
    > server", and "net config
    > workstation", from each computer, is where we start,
    > because many problems
    > become apparent there. Read this article, and linked
    > articles, and follow
    > instructions precisely (download browstat!):
    >
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
    >
    > Now just for my personal edification, and since this
    > thread seems to have a few
    > hangers on, are you also djrave808, g8rav8r, and / or
    > MS?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal

  14. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:12:13 -0700, "Phil" wrote:

> [...]

    >I know this is delayed .. but I have spent a huge
    >amount of time checking, double and triple checking my
    >system. There is nothing wrong with this system of 3
    >home computers. I am now convinced the problem is that
    >Infrastructure mode prevents true peer to peer file
    >sharing. We must use "ad hoc" computer to commuter
    >(peer to peer) mode which less secure and probably does
    >not serve my purposes. I have diligently worked
    >through a series of "netsh" commands, "route print"
    >commands as well as your own cdiag.
    >
    >This is the only answer to why so many of these threads
    >just drop off.
    >
    >I don't think infrastructure mode will allow peer to
    >peer sharing....
    >
    >Please tell all of us we are missing something, because
    >the only other answer is there is something flawed
    >about the WRVS4400N VPN router (which almost no one has

    Phil,

    I won't tell you with 100% certainty that you are wrong. With networking,
    there's always something new to learn.

    But in my experience, properly designed and functional hardware, against
    properly configured operating systems, WILL work in infrastructure mode, with
    peer to peer sharing.

    So why not let us see some diagnostic logs, like "ipconfig /all", "net config
    server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, so we can help
    diagnose the problem. Many people post their logs here, and sometimes learn
    something new.

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  15. Re: Can't figure out networking PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

    I know that time is of the essence but have returned
    one more time to this particular thread. This is such
    an important topic.

    Virtually none of these suggestions offered through
    these threats helped me to network my computers. As I
    always say, most networking problems are *very* simple
    and elegant. It just takes enormous time and effort
    finding the simple switch.

    The answer for me, and probably for so many others, is
    a simple switch. In the WRVS4400N VPN router there is
    a simple switch called
    Wireless Isolation(within SSID) located in the
    "wireless" "security" tab. All I needed to do was
    disable this one switch. Suddenly, after two weeks of
    pain all computers are visible to each other and I am
    able to share printers and files amongst the four
    computers on this home wireless network. That was it.

    As a side issue I am still having trouble with the
    master browser that seems to float from computer to
    computer. This is a separate issue that never seems to
    have a definitive solution. So the command NET VIEW
    still does not produce a consistent results. But I am
    able to share all printers and all files on all
    computers. If you think about it, it's very simple.
    That is the point of this wireless isolation. But the
    documentation is absolutely worthless (pitiful) and
    gives no clue as to the critical importance of the
    switch.

    Again, I know this will probably be hidden in time and
    subordinated to the original question. But someone
    will find this a value.

    Phil

+ Reply to Thread