Connected to (Wireless) Network but Can't Browse - Wireless

This is a discussion on Connected to (Wireless) Network but Can't Browse - Wireless ; OK, My friend just called with this problem - I will visit them later this week to try and fix it, but meantime am looking for some ideas. I've googled (many are having the same problem) but didn't really find ...

  1. Connected to (Wireless) Network but Can't Browse

    OK, My friend just called with this problem - I will visit them later
    this week to try and fix it, but meantime am looking for some ideas.
    I've googled (many are having the same problem) but didn't really find a
    solution.

    The network icon shows "connected excellent". But trying to browse with
    IE or Firefox says something like "can't find page".

    My phone help centre on the Firewall and internet connection settings,
    but no luck.

    From google I got this to try:

    Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

    Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

    I will also try a restore to when the PC did work (if possible).

    Any further ideas or comments?

    Vino

  2. Re: Connected to (Wireless) Network but Can't Browse

    Do a simple test. Can you ping a public IP address? Or this step by step troubleshooting may help,

    How to troubleshoot internet access issuesHow to troubleshoot the Internet Access issues. You just setup a network and all networking computers can see each other. However, you have one of some ...
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/Inter...netaccess0.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "Vino Tinto" wrote in message news:46b99514$0$4828$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com...
    OK, My friend just called with this problem - I will visit them later
    this week to try and fix it, but meantime am looking for some ideas.
    I've googled (many are having the same problem) but didn't really find a
    solution.

    The network icon shows "connected excellent". But trying to browse with
    IE or Firefox says something like "can't find page".

    My phone help centre on the Firewall and internet connection settings,
    but no luck.

    From google I got this to try:

    Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

    Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

    I will also try a restore to when the PC did work (if possible).

    Any further ideas or comments?

    Vino

  3. Re: Connected to (Wireless) Network but Can't Browse

    Hi
    The "connected excellent" might be meaningless you have to find out where
    the actual brake down is.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.netdebug.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Vino Tinto" wrote in message
    > OK, My friend just called with this problem - I will visit them later this
    > week to try and fix it, but meantime am looking for some ideas. I've
    > googled (many are having the same problem) but didn't really find a
    > solution.
    >
    > The network icon shows "connected excellent". But trying to browse with IE
    > or Firefox says something like "can't find page".
    >
    > My phone help centre on the Firewall and internet connection settings, but
    > no luck.
    >
    > From google I got this to try:
    >
    > Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset
    > catalog
    >
    > Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
    >

    > I will also try a restore to when the PC did work (if possible).
    >

    > Any further ideas or comments?
    >
    > Vino

  4. RE: Connected to (Wireless) Network but Can't Browse

    "Vino Tinto" wrote:

    > OK, My friend just called with this problem - I will visit them later
    > this week to try and fix it, but meantime am looking for some ideas.
    > I've googled (many are having the same problem) but didn't really find a
    > solution.
    >
    > The network icon shows "connected excellent". But trying to browse with
    > IE or Firefox says something like "can't find page".
    >
    > My phone help centre on the Firewall and internet connection settings,
    > but no luck.
    >
    > From google I got this to try:
    >
    > Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
    >
    > Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
    >

    > I will also try a restore to when the PC did work (if possible).
    >

    > Any further ideas or comments?
    >
    > Vino

    Adding to the two excellent advice By "Bob" and "Jack", I will check these:
    1- The correct SSID is been typed correctly on the wireless and there is no
    Mistake (spelling or mismatch).
    2- The Encryption method been implemented.
    3- Change the channel from the usual (11) to something else like( 5,4,6,7).
    4- try to access the router Web Page and rerun the wizard, in some cases you
    need to wait a Minute ( 1 Min) then click on Home and you will get the green
    connected.
    5- Make sure the machine or the TCP/IP setting is correct and the machine
    getting an Auto IP assigned ( by accessing the NIC properties).

    If still then try this:
    Open a run command and type in:
    ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
    ipconfig /renew click [OK]
    Reboot your machine.
    HTH.
    nass

  5. Re: Connected to (Wireless) Network but Can't Browse

    Hi
    Sorry the there is typo in the link, should be,

    > Hi
    > The "connected excellent" might be meaningless you have to find out where
    > the actual brake down is.
    > May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.netdebug.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Vino Tinto" wrote in message
    >> OK, My friend just called with this problem - I will visit them later
    >> this week to try and fix it, but meantime am looking for some ideas. I've
    >> googled (many are having the same problem) but didn't really find a
    >> solution.
    >>
    >> The network icon shows "connected excellent". But trying to browse with
    >> IE or Firefox says something like "can't find page".
    >>
    >> My phone help centre on the Firewall and internet connection settings,
    >> but no luck.
    >>
    >> From google I got this to try:
    >>
    >> Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset
    >> catalog
    >>
    >> Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
    >>

    >> I will also try a restore to when the PC did work (if possible).
    >>

    >> Any further ideas or comments?
    >>
    >> Vino

  6. Re: Connected to (Wireless) Network but Can't Browse

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > The "connected excellent" might be meaningless you have to find out where
    > the actual brake down is.
    > May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.netdebug.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Update is (remember, I am helping over the phone):

    Ping IP and actual address worked.
    So did a winsock reset (netsh winsock reset catalog) and had some
    success - IE now brings up a (BT) welcome page (before gave error "site
    unavailable") but won't access any other page (just thinks then times
    out) but Firefox seems to work (at first Hotmail.com pulled up Ask.com
    (ideas?). I cleared the cache and it seems to work now.
    Let's see if I hear anything tomorrow.

    Vino

+ Reply to Thread