Wireless Network - Can't connect - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Network - Can't connect - Wireless ; Confused here. Have three machines, as follows - Windows XP Home desktop, cat5 connection to Linksys router, in turn connected to DSL modem (printer server, file server, etc.) - Windows XP Home laptop (no other networks configured) - Windows XP ...

  1. Wireless Network - Can't connect

    Confused here. Have three machines, as follows

    - Windows XP Home desktop, cat5 connection to Linksys router, in turn
    connected to DSL modem (printer server, file server, etc.)
    - Windows XP Home laptop (no other networks configured)
    - Windows XP Pro laptop (configured for my domain at work, through SBS
    2003)

    Connecting to internet fine through all three... but now my actual
    networked connections (to desktop external HDs, printer, etc.) has
    gone AWOL.

    Until recently, I could get the XP Pro laptop to follow the mapped
    drives to the server, and connect wirelessly. Sometimes, if I had
    restarted laptop at work last time instead of hibernating, I would
    need to restart to connect to network at home, and gain access to
    desktop, external HDs, printer, etc. Whatever.

    Now XP Pro laptop is not finding connections to desktop ever. Also,
    XP Home laptop has always been sporadic in finding it. Both are
    connecting to the router, just not to the desktop computer. Have gone
    through and made sure that the workgroup is the same on the two XP
    Home machines (the XP Pro machine is a member of a domain at work, but
    I use a variation on the domain name as the home workgroup name - what
    the XP Home laptop used to use to connect to office domain).

    Only things that have been installed lately are CCleaner and the
    newest version of Adaware on the XP Pro laptop and the desktop.

    Have run all of the Windows network setups, etc., all workgroup names
    are appropriate. Has Group Policy somehow overriden the previous
    settings?

    Lost like a newbie, and hating it...

  2. Re: Wireless Network - Can't connect

    Assuming they can ping each by name, it could be the computer browser issue. This search result may help,

    Computer BrowserResolutions: This is mostly like master browser issue. The simple solution is stopping Computer Browser service on the XP. To stop Computer Browser service, ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "ETSaum" wrote in message news:1186349792.493853.220230@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
[...]

+ Reply to Thread