KB 917021 - Wireless

This is a discussion on KB 917021 - Wireless ; We recently installed high speed DSL to our desk top with modem/router (Westell 327W) and we are also using our laptop (wireless). We undeerstand there is an Update for wireless (KB 917021). Was this ever offered as a critical update ...

  1. KB 917021

    We recently installed high speed DSL to our desk top with modem/router
    (Westell 327W) and we are also using our laptop (wireless). We undeerstand
    there is an Update for wireless (KB 917021). Was this ever offered as a
    critical update or just as an update? We do not see it in our Add/Remove.
    Should it be installed on our laptop?
    We are now using WinXPsp2.
    If we do install it, will it cause any problems to our currect wireless
    connection (connected to our desk top's modem WPA).
    Thanks for any help.
    Bob

  2. Re: KB 917021

    917021 is hotfix that does fix many XP wireless issues, for example, the XP computer doesn't have option to select WPA2. This search result may give more details too.

    Many Wireless issues can be fixed by hotfixhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021. Note: This update replaces hotfix 893357. The Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)/Wireless Provisioning Services ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless/wirelesshotfix.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "AliceZ" wrote in message news:A981488D-D0F0-4551-88D6-E14DC47B65FD@microsoft.com...
    We recently installed high speed DSL to our desk top with modem/router
    (Westell 327W) and we are also using our laptop (wireless). We undeerstand
    there is an Update for wireless (KB 917021). Was this ever offered as a
    critical update or just as an update? We do not see it in our Add/Remove.
    Should it be installed on our laptop?
    We are now using WinXPsp2.
    If we do install it, will it cause any problems to our currect wireless
    connection (connected to our desk top's modem WPA).
    Thanks for any help.
    Bob

  3. Re: KB 917021

    Hi
    Do you have a working Wireless connection?
    If it is working OK you might Not need the Hot Fix or it might be that it is
    already there and only the Add/Remove entry is lost.
    If you do not have a working connection then there is a very high
    probability that it might be something else not related to any Hot Fix.
    You can check the Wireless viability by following this process,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless,html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "AliceZ" wrote in message
    > We recently installed high speed DSL to our desk top with modem/router
    > (Westell 327W) and we are also using our laptop (wireless). We undeerstand
    > there is an Update for wireless (KB 917021). Was this ever offered as a
    > critical update or just as an update? We do not see it in our Add/Remove.
    > Should it be installed on our laptop?
    > We are now using WinXPsp2.
    > If we do install it, will it cause any problems to our currect wireless
    > connection (connected to our desk top's modem WPA).
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Bob

  4. Re: KB 917021

    We are getting a bit confused. We have modem/router connected to our desktop
    and using our laptop (wireless) with desktop router (don't know if I am
    explaining correctly).
    The Westell 327W modem/router was set for WPA-PSK. So far our wireless
    laptop is working. We do not see KB 917021 or KB 893357) in Add/Remove. We
    are very, very new and experienced at this 'stuff.'
    WinXP sp2

    ========
    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Do you have a working Wireless connection?
    > If it is working OK you might Not need the Hot Fix or it might be that it is
    > already there and only the Add/Remove entry is lost.
    > If you do not have a working connection then there is a very high
    > probability that it might be something else not related to any Hot Fix.
    > You can check the Wireless viability by following this process,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wireless,html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "AliceZ" wrote in message
    > > We recently installed high speed DSL to our desk top with modem/router
    > > (Westell 327W) and we are also using our laptop (wireless). We undeerstand
    > > there is an Update for wireless (KB 917021). Was this ever offered as a
    > > critical update or just as an update? We do not see it in our Add/Remove.
    > > Should it be installed on our laptop?
    > > We are now using WinXPsp2.
    > > If we do install it, will it cause any problems to our currect wireless
    > > connection (connected to our desk top's modem WPA).
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > > Bob

  5. Re: KB 917021

    Hi
    So every thing works well and the only thing is that you do not see the
    HotFix.
    This Hotfix is to enable WPA2 (WPA-AES), it is Not needed if the Wireless
    hardware does not support this mode.
    If both your Router and Laptop can support this mode, and it seems not to
    work, download and run the Hotfix.
    Otherwise relax and enjoy your Network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "AliceZ" wrote in message
    > We are getting a bit confused. We have modem/router connected to our
    > desktop
    > and using our laptop (wireless) with desktop router (don't know if I am
    > explaining correctly).
    > The Westell 327W modem/router was set for WPA-PSK. So far our wireless
    > laptop is working. We do not see KB 917021 or KB 893357) in Add/Remove. We
    > are very, very new and experienced at this 'stuff.'
    > WinXP sp2
    >

    > ========
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Do you have a working Wireless connection?
    >> If it is working OK you might Not need the Hot Fix or it might be that it
    >> is
    >> already there and only the Add/Remove entry is lost.
    >> If you do not have a working connection then there is a very high
    >> probability that it might be something else not related to any Hot Fix.
    >> You can check the Wireless viability by following this process,
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless,html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "AliceZ" wrote in message
    >> > We recently installed high speed DSL to our desk top with modem/router
    >> > (Westell 327W) and we are also using our laptop (wireless). We
    >> > undeerstand
    >> > there is an Update for wireless (KB 917021). Was this ever offered as a
    >> > critical update or just as an update? We do not see it in our
    >> > Add/Remove.
    >> > Should it be installed on our laptop?
    >> > We are now using WinXPsp2.
    >> > If we do install it, will it cause any problems to our currect wireless
    >> > connection (connected to our desk top's modem WPA).
    >> > Thanks for any help.
    >> > Bob

+ Reply to Thread