USB print server question - Wireless

This is a discussion on USB print server question - Wireless ; My Motorola Surfboard modem has a wireless access point built in (SBG 900). My desktop PC is connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable. The desktop PC is connected to my printer with a parallel cable to the printer's ...

  1. USB print server question

    My Motorola Surfboard modem has a wireless access point built in (SBG 900).
    My desktop PC is connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable. The desktop
    PC is connected to my printer with a parallel cable to the printer's
    parallel port.

    The printer also has a USB port.

    I use my laptop around my apartment and connect to the Internet using the
    wireless adapter built into the laptop to connect to the Motorola modem
    access point.

    How can I print from my laptop when it is connected to the wireless access
    point?? Could I install a wireless USB print server, plug it into the
    printer's USB port, and print wirelessly from the laptop through the USB
    print server? Will the printer operate with both parallel and USB ports
    connected??

    If I can print this way, will the laptop connect to both the access point
    and the wireless USB print server simultaneously, or, will I have to
    disconnect from the wireless access point, connect to the wireless print
    server, print - - - - -

    Thanks.

  2. Re: USB print server question

    Joe S. wrote:
    > My Motorola Surfboard modem has a wireless access point built in (SBG 900).
    > My desktop PC is connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable. The desktop
    > PC is connected to my printer with a parallel cable to the printer's
    > parallel port.
    >
    > The printer also has a USB port.
    >
    > I use my laptop around my apartment and connect to the Internet using the
    > wireless adapter built into the laptop to connect to the Motorola modem
    > access point.
    >
    > How can I print from my laptop when it is connected to the wireless access
    > point?? Could I install a wireless USB print server, plug it into the
    > printer's USB port, and print wirelessly from the laptop through the USB
    > print server? Will the printer operate with both parallel and USB ports
    > connected??
    >
    > If I can print this way, will the laptop connect to both the access point
    > and the wireless USB print server simultaneously, or, will I have to
    > disconnect from the wireless access point, connect to the wireless print
    > server, print - - - - -
    >
    > Thanks.

    Your PC is already acting as a print server (or it will if you tell it
    to). Just "share" the printer, and install it on the laptop as a
    "network" printer.

    If you want to be able to print without having to fire up the PC, then
    you need a print server. Some newer modems/routers/accesspoints have a
    USB socket to drive a printer; I very much doubt the USB socket on your
    printer can be used the other way round - it's just a "hub", acting as
    an extension to the USB cable which you could have used to connect your
    printer to the PC. That socket connects ultimately to the PC, not the
    printer.

    If you buy a wireless print server (or a wired one, plugged into the
    modem), it'll just be one more device on the network, and you'll reach
    it from your laptop _through_ the existing connection to the access point.

    Phil, London

  3. Re: USB print server question

    Hi
    You can print wirelessly from the laptop by sharing a printer as it connect
    to another computer.
    However if you want an independent printer on the Network you can get an
    add-on printer server. Wireless printing is done through the network to
    begin with not directly from the Laptop to the printer, so a wired printer
    server could be better solution since it is much less expensive.
    In general - Printing through the Network,
    http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html
    Configuring Regular Printer Sharing.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Printer Sharing XP -
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Joe S." wrote in message
    > My Motorola Surfboard modem has a wireless access point built in (SBG
    > 900). My desktop PC is connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable. The
    > desktop PC is connected to my printer with a parallel cable to the
    > printer's parallel port.
    >
    > The printer also has a USB port.
    >
    > I use my laptop around my apartment and connect to the Internet using the
    > wireless adapter built into the laptop to connect to the Motorola modem
    > access point.
    >
    > How can I print from my laptop when it is connected to the wireless access
    > point?? Could I install a wireless USB print server, plug it into the
    > printer's USB port, and print wirelessly from the laptop through the USB
    > print server? Will the printer operate with both parallel and USB ports
    > connected??
    >
    > If I can print this way, will the laptop connect to both the access point
    > and the wireless USB print server simultaneously, or, will I have to
    > disconnect from the wireless access point, connect to the wireless print
    > server, print - - - - -
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread