Livebox(Inventel) and WAG354G - Wireless

This is a discussion on Livebox(Inventel) and WAG354G - Wireless ; My Linksys WAG354G is fed by Livebox, so that Linksys can feed internet on RJ45 leads to other PC's as and when they're on the bench. (Livebox has the adsl signal plugged into it, ...LAN lead from it, to WAG354G). ...

  1. Livebox(Inventel) and WAG354G

    My Linksys WAG354G is fed by Livebox, so that Linksys can feed internet on
    RJ45 leads to other PC's as and when they're on the bench.
    (Livebox has the adsl signal plugged into it, ...LAN lead from it, to
    WAG354G). DHCP is of course on in Livebox but, off in Linksys. ...so
    Linksys is acting just as a dumb router ?

    Can I, and if I can, how do I connect Dads' PC in the house using wireless
    from WAG354G to WMP54G pci card, (in Dads' PC), bearing in mind that DHCP is
    switched off in WAG354G

    ....I'd like to do it this way if possible, rather than switch on wireless in
    Livebox because I don't think the wireless is very good in the Livebox
    compared to the Linksys. i.e. the last time Dad's PC's WMP54G was
    connecting via wifi to Livebox, it was not very reliable, ...had to keep
    rebooting everywhere, sometimes they would connect, sometimes they wouldn't.
    Building obstructions minimal, signal strengths VERY good, just horrid
    Livebox I think.

    TIA

    regards, Richard

  2. Re: Livebox(Inventel) and WAG354G

    if you turn off NAT/DHCP in the Linksys and connect it via a LAN
    port to the Live Box, it should act as an access point (if it works
    like most other Linksys wireless routers). make sure it has a
    different SSID than Livebox. Set up security and it should connect
    and get an address from the Livebox device DHCP server.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Livebox(Inventel) and WAG354G

    Thanks Barb Bowman

    Livebox is already connected by a short LAN lead to Linksys, (as explained
    in my usual jumbled up fashion, in my OP :-)
    ....so Linksys is already acting as an access point for LAN lead connection
    to other PC's but, (with wireless switched off, ...and wireless is also
    currently switched off the Livebox).

    Now I know that if I switch on wireless in Livebox, (and because DHCP is on
    in there dishing up addresses), it would feed internet straight to Dads'
    pci WMP54G card, in his PC in the house, ....using the Livebox transmitter
    (which I don't want, but, could put up with!).

    I want the Linksys wireless transmitter to feed Dad's WMP54G card but, DHCP
    is switched off in Linksys, and I have a suspicion that I can't do it like
    this, or is there some exotic "way of things" that means that the Livebox
    DHCP will issue an address for the WAG354G wifi transmitter, ...I suspect
    not :-( ??
    ....I know I could just go ahead and try it but, whilst all is working fine,
    and I could just switch on wifi in Linksys, and go find out for myself that
    it won't work because DHCP is off in Linksys but, I thought I'd post in
    here, and simply be told it's not possible, ...before I try it and upset
    what is all atm working fine ! :-)

    regards, Richard

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    newsct5b3t4f2ntdkbgb7tle79vpuvgcgljfp@4ax.com...
    > if you turn off NAT/DHCP in the Linksys and connect it via a LAN
    > port to the Live Box, it should act as an access point (if it works
    > like most other Linksys wireless routers). make sure it has a
    > different SSID than Livebox. Set up security and it should connect
    > and get an address from the Livebox device DHCP server.
    >

    > On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:37:31 +0100, "RJK"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>My Linksys WAG354G is fed by Livebox, so that Linksys can feed internet on
    >>RJ45 leads to other PC's as and when they're on the bench.
    >>(Livebox has the adsl signal plugged into it, ...LAN lead from it, to
    >>WAG354G). DHCP is of course on in Livebox but, off in Linksys. ...so
    >>Linksys is acting just as a dumb router ?
    >>
    >>Can I, and if I can, how do I connect Dads' PC in the house using wireless
    >>from WAG354G to WMP54G pci card, (in Dads' PC), bearing in mind that DHCP
    >>is
    >>switched off in WAG354G
    >>
    >>...I'd like to do it this way if possible, rather than switch on wireless
    >>in
    >>Livebox because I don't think the wireless is very good in the Livebox
    >>compared to the Linksys. i.e. the last time Dad's PC's WMP54G was
    >>connecting via wifi to Livebox, it was not very reliable, ...had to keep
    >>rebooting everywhere, sometimes they would connect, sometimes they
    >>wouldn't.
    >>Building obstructions minimal, signal strengths VERY good, just horrid
    >>Livebox I think.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>regards, Richard
    >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: Livebox(Inventel) and WAG354G

    wireless should work on the Linksys independent of DHCP.

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP